The Student Room Group

~Gingerbread's road to Law~

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student403
Not physical flash cards, but I love to use Quizlet for my revision :smile: It's a lovely little app and you can even play games on it like matching :yep:

Looking forward to your lovely photo!

Oh yes, that's another thing I was going to mention - I use that app too! :yes: I love it, and I make classes on it and all of my friends do them too, and we always get really competitive on the leaderboards for them :giggle:

Uploaded now :yy:
What type of work experiance and extra curriculurs + further reading did you do for your Law Application?

Can you give me some advice? I want to do Law
Original post by Gingerbread101
Oh yes, that's another thing I was going to mention - I use that app too! :yes: I love it, and I make classes on it and all of my friends do them too, and we always get really competitive on the leaderboards for them :giggle:

Uploaded now :yy:

Love the little binder thing! I use a mini card sized folder that came with them which has filing separators :colondollar:

I get sooo competitive too on the matching one :rofl:
Original post by SuperHuman98
What type of work experiance and extra curriculurs + further reading did you do for your Law Application?

Can you give me some advice? I want to do Law

Hey :awesome:

Work experience
I did a day's worth (I would recommend getting more than this, it was very last minute) in a local solicitor's firm with a PI lawyer, and I went with her on a meeting on location to discuss an accident with the manager of the place it happened, and met all the different people who were involved with investigating it. It was actually a lot more interesting than you'd think Personal Injury would be, and I got to have a look through some of the massive reference books!

Extra Curricular
I did a lot of extra curricular, but the stuff I included in my PS was: visiting the Crown Court, meeting up with a former public defender, reading newspapers, public speaking through being a charity ambassador for Step up to Serve and The Scout Association, Head Girl, Chair of School Council, being a British Youth Council delegate and Young Enterprise.

Wider reading
I read McBride's 'Letters to a Law Student' and Williams' 'Learning the Law' as well as newspapers regularly.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any more tips :awesome:
Hey :awesome:

Work experience
I did a day's worth (I would recommend getting more than this, it was very last minute) in a local solicitor's firm with a PI lawyer, and I went with her on a meeting on location to discuss an accident with the manager of the place it happened, and met all the different people who were involved with investigating it. It was actually a lot more interesting than you'd think Personal Injury would be, and I got to have a look through some of the massive reference books!

Extra Curricular
I did a lot of extra curricular, but the stuff I included in my PS was: visiting the Crown Court, meeting up with a former public defender, reading newspapers, public speaking through being a charity ambassador for Step up to Serve and The Scout Association, Head Girl, Chair of School Council, being a British Youth Council delegate and Young Enterprise.

Wider reading
I read McBride's 'Letters to a Law Student' and Williams' 'Learning the Law' as well as newspapers regularly.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any more tips :awesome:

Hmm I am planning to get atleast a weeks worth of work exp, but I have no idea how I can get anything as good as "British Youth Council delegate" "young enterpise" "charity ambassador".

What Newspapers did you read? Also what are you planning to do after your Law Degree?
Love the little binder thing! I use a mini card sized folder that came with them which has filing separators :colondollar:

I get sooo competitive too on the matching one :rofl:

They're actually hole punched and on the top of my notes in my lever arch file for History :tongue: however there are getting to be so many of them that I can't close the file so I might need a new storage place soon :lol:
They're actually hole punched and on the top of my notes in my lever arch file for History :tongue: however there are getting to be so many of them that I can't close the file so I might need a new storage place soon :lol:

Fair enough! - by the way holy crap you have a lot of titles on the left :eek:
Hmm I am planning to get atleast a weeks worth of work exp, but I have no idea how I can get anything as good as "British Youth Council delegate" "young enterpise" "charity ambassador".

What Newspapers did you read? Also what are you planning to do after your Law Degree?

That sounds good :smile: Just try and throw yourself out there into every public speaking opportunity you get, look online for volunteering opportunities for young people near you, charities often do them :smile: If you look up Step up to Serve you might be able to find something through them :smile:

I read a mixture of right and left wing broadsheets, mainly The Times, The Guardian, The Telegraph and The Independent :smile: make sure you read them in a critical light and look at how different newspapers present different events.

I'm hoping to become a solicitor, but my backup plan is to go into teaching :smile:
Fair enough! - by the way holy crap you have a lot of titles on the left :eek:

This is what becomes of being too obsessed with TSR :colondollar:
This is what becomes of being too obsessed with TSR :colondollar:

I know the feel :emo:
That sounds good :smile: Just try and throw yourself out there into every public speaking opportunity you get, look online for volunteering opportunities for young people near you, charities often do them :smile: If you look up Step up to Serve you might be able to find something through them :smile:

I read a mixture of right and left wing broadsheets, mainly The Times, The Guardian, The Telegraph and The Independent :smile: make sure you read them in a critical light and look at how different newspapers present different events.

I'm hoping to become a solicitor, but my backup plan is to go into teaching :smile:

Thank you very much. I have more questions :biggrin:

Reasons for declining UCL?
Your favorite/court cases that you find most interesting?
Reply 91
Update 09/03/2016

I'm getting back into the swing of coursework and revision now. Tomorrow I have a knowledge test in History, and an exam essay to write the day after, which I'm revising for - I'll let you know how they go. I've also started relearning AS Russian History for my resit. I wanted to start a few weeks ago but never got around to it, hopefully I can catch up in time. I'm going to be doing an extra recap lesson in one of my frees every week for it too.
Flash cards

(Not a clue why the photo is upside down, I had to upload via tinypic haha)

Flash cards are one of my favourite methods of revision, and I've been making flashcards for History throughout the year as we go along the course. It helps me to learn as we go along, plus I'll have all of the resources to test myself with when it comes to serious revision in the next few days.

On some of my flash cards I do simple event and definition, however on some I use them to plan essays, so I'll write a time period on one side and all of the facts from that period on the other. I also colour code them with the same colour coding system as the rest of my folder (which in history is social=red/pink, political=blue, economic=green).

Do you use flash cards?

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

You're too organised :eek:
Thank you very much. I have more questions :biggrin:

Reasons for declining UCL?
Your favorite/court cases that you find most interesting?

Durham and UCL have the same offer grades, and when I visited them I much preferred the feel of Durham, plus accommodation in London is always insanely expensive and average at best. The main advantage would be links with Magic Circle firms, but Durham has pretty good connections too :smile:

I found the Pistorious case soo interesting because as well as the debate of what he did, there was a legal debate in there too - best of both worlds! :awesome:
Original post by Andy98
You're too organised :eek:

Now I just need to actually start revising :lol:
Reply 93
Now I just need to actually start revising :lol:

Doing more than me...
Original post by Andy98
Doing more than me...

When are you planning on starting? :smile:
Reply 95
When are you planning on starting? :smile:

I get the impression it's too late to say last year? :redface:
Original post by Andy98
I get the impression it's too late to say last year? :redface:

Haha, just a little :colondollar: start today! :woo:
Reply 97
Haha, just a little :colondollar: start today! :woo:

Hooooooowwwwwww??????
Original post by Andy98
Hooooooowwwwwww??????

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3904381 Hint hint nudge nudge :tongue:
Reply 99

Oh so past papers count?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending