The Student Room Group

Is it bad that I DON'T want to be an 'independent woman'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #1
I don't want to be an independent woman, in fact even the thought makes me melancholic. I want to find the love of my life, take care of each other and grow old with him. I want to be one of those really old couples you still see holding hands. I want to build a strong and loving family and raise children, and grandchildren.

I've never bought into this whole 'I don't need a man' thing, because I admit that do. I want to give my love, nurturing, support to my future partner and make sure he feels needed and accepted. I want to receive protection, guidance and build trust and intimacy. Whilst I've unfortunately never had a boyfriend, men have done a lot for me, not least my own father who's love I need very much as well. I don't think that I was made to walk this earth alone just chasing after a corporate dream, pleasing my boss, buying designer bags and stashing coins in the bank.

I'm currently a student at a 'Top 10' uni and whilst I enjoy and put a lot of work into my subject I know it's not everything. I want a decent career to co-provide for a future family but I know I will have to make many sacrifices in my career progression order to have a family and I'm okay with that. I see far more fulfilment and joy in that. And whilst I have 40+ years to progress my career I only have 15 or so in which to have children which worries me far more.

What do you guys all think?
Should I forget it all and become 'Miss Independent?'
Same!! You basically speak my mind. Can i just be a woman? 😭 I don’t want to be independent women.
I don't want to be an independent woman, in fact even the thought makes me melancholic. I want to find the love of my life, take care of each other and grow old with him. I want to be one of those really old couples you still see holding hands. I want to build a strong and loving family and raise children, and grandchildren.

I've never bought into this whole 'I don't need a man' thing, because I admit that do. I want to give my love, nurturing, support to my future partner and make sure he feels needed and accepted. I want to receive protection, guidance and build trust and intimacy. Whilst I've unfortunately never had a boyfriend, men have done a lot for me, not least my own father who's love I need very much as well. I don't think that I was made to walk this earth alone just chasing after a corporate dream, pleasing my boss, buying designer bags and stashing coins in the bank.

I'm currently a student at a 'Top 10' uni and whilst I enjoy and put a lot of work into my subject I know it's not everything. I want a decent career to co-provide for a future family but I know I will have to make many sacrifices in my career progression order to have a family and I'm okay with that. I see far more fulfilment and joy in that. And whilst I have 40+ years to progress my career I only have 15 or so in which to have children which worries me far more.

Hey, I think regardless of your dream outcome I think it iss always a good idea to have something to fall on and know you can sustain yourself for whatever life can bring!

Independent isn't all it's cracked up to be.
This is an 8 year old thread. OP is likely nearly 30 now.

It would be interesting to hear if things turned out as she hoped.
Reply 44
Nothing wrong with that.
Original post by Tpos
If you're happy with that, then no, you definitely shouldn't try to be/do something you don't want to. Also your idea of Miss Independent seems to be the opposite of everything you said and actually being so independent isn't good for society. Men and women should definitely help other out. But you don't have to be independent just by not having a family and focussing on your career, there's other ways of being independent like making sure you can stand on your own two feet and not acting like some sort of robot for those around you/being limited by just doing whats told/ "expected" of you. Doing your own thing, pursuing your goals while having a family, shows independence too.
Being an independent woman doesn't mean you ignore your partner or spend your life alone just because you're focused on your career or influenced by extreme feminist ideas like "I don't need a man."
Independence means you can take care of yourself and your family when needed and be there for your partner too. It's important to have personal interests and be able to handle tough situations alone, but it doesn't mean you don't need help from others. Men and women are meant to support each other and build a strong society together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending