The Student Room Group

Missing your offer; is a university more likely to still accept if you firm?

Basically the title, if i miss my offer would the university i chose be more inclined to offer me a place if i firmed them rather than put them as insurance, or does this not make a difference?
Original post by ludd-sama
Basically the title, if i miss my offer would the university i chose be more inclined to offer me a place if i firmed them rather than put them as insurance, or does this not make a difference?

It really depends on the university and the circumstances. The University of York for Law, for example, explicitly said that they'll favour (firm) applicants over others/ones from clearing, so if you missed a grade, they may well still accept you. But other universities may not have the same policy, and even if they do, they may not be transparent about it.

But more important than the university's policy is something completely out of your control - how many applicants held offers, and how many met their offers. Universities generally give out more offers than they have spaces, simply because some students will choose other institutions, and a lot of students will end up missing their offers, and this leads to the university having roughly the right number of students. Of course, the number of students accepting/meeting their offer will vary from year to year; if, this August, less people than normal reach the entry requirements, then you have a good chance of being accepted despite missing your offer. But if more people than normal get the grades, you have basically no chance.

Essentially, it comes down to how well others do, which is something you can't have an impact on, so try your best to get the grades and hope for the best!

One thing to note: universities get your results before you do, so they'll have had chance to review your application, and make their final decision, before you see your results in August. So if you get one grade below the requirements and get rejected, there's no point phoning/emailing them to beg; they'll have made their final decision. Some universities may call applicants on results day that only just missed their offer and give them a chance to be accepted, so there may be hope, but if there is an acceptance or rejection on UCAS on results day, then it's final.
Reply 2
Original post by doctorwhofan98
It really depends on the university and the circumstances. The University of York for Law, for example, explicitly said that they'll favour (firm) applicants over others/ones from clearing, so if you missed a grade, they may well still accept you. But other universities may not have the same policy, and even if they do, they may not be transparent about it.

But more important than the university's policy is something completely out of your control - how many applicants held offers, and how many met their offers. Universities generally give out more offers than they have spaces, simply because some students will choose other institutions, and a lot of students will end up missing their offers, and this leads to the university having roughly the right number of students. Of course, the number of students accepting/meeting their offer will vary from year to year; if, this August, less people than normal reach the entry requirements, then you have a good chance of being accepted despite missing your offer. But if more people than normal get the grades, you have basically no chance.

Essentially, it comes down to how well others do, which is something you can't have an impact on, so try your best to get the grades and hope for the best!

One thing to note: universities get your results before you do, so they'll have had chance to review your application, and make their final decision, before you see your results in August. So if you get one grade below the requirements and get rejected, there's no point phoning/emailing them to beg; they'll have made their final decision. Some universities may call applicants on results day that only just missed their offer and give them a chance to be accepted, so there may be hope, but if there is an acceptance or rejection on UCAS on results day, then it's final.

Thanks alot for the reply, i think deep down i pretty much knew this but was looking for something to rely on if it doesnt go as well as i planned. But this puts it into perspective.

In general, no.

The biggest factor in whether or not you get offered a place is going to be how well other applicants did, and how many spaces there are on the course. If you miss your offer and everyone else at you firm gets their grades, there won't be space for you, but at your insurance, lots of people might have missed their grades, so you get your place anyway.

If you just miss your offer and the course isn't full, most universities will accept you before offering the course in clearing. Finding applicants via clearing is more time consuming and costly, and some universities like to avoid clearing if possible as they believe it harms their "brand". You'll only usually be rejected if the university thinks they can find better applicants via clearing and/or your grades are so poor the university thinks you just won't cope with the course.

The uni being your firm or insurance isn't likely to make much of a difference. The best thing you can do is work hard and meet your offer- then you won't have to worry!
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
You'll only usually be rejected if the university thinks they can find better applicants via clearing and/or your grades are so poor the university thinks you just won't cope with the course.

Or the course is chockablock full so they're looking for any excuse to keep the numbers manageable so they're rejecting on technicalities never mind missed grades.
Original post by PQ
Or the course is chockablock full so they're looking for any excuse to keep the numbers manageable so they're rejecting on technicalities never mind missed grades.

Sorry, my wording probably wasn't very clear- all of that paragraph only applies if the course isn't already filled by students who achieved their offers!
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Sorry, my wording probably wasn't very clear- all of that paragraph only applies if the course isn't already filled by students who achieved their offers!

I know - just like to prepare the Durham firmers for the inevitable :nope:
Original post by PQ

Durham are useless in all sorts of ways :frown: I'd love to talk to someone on their admissions team and ask them what they're actually doing. I suppose they believe that they've got enough to appeal to a certain kind of applicant that they can treat people terribly and it will never damage their brand?
Original post by PQ

Indeed. *braces herself in advance for August*
Reply 9

My daughter missed her offer and still got into her first choice of course. She was offered an alternative course at same uni which she decided to take but at enrolment they told her she had in fact got into her original course even though she missed her conditions. It was a nice surprise and luckily she still went to same college or she may not have had that opportunity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What you do isn't going to alter whether there is a spare place for someone. What you do, isn't going to alter whether there are likely to be better candidates available in clearing or adjustment,

However, admissions departments will have in the back of their mind that people who miss their offers and get in are far less likely to drop out than candidates who are picked up in clearing.

So, if a university has a vacancy and has no confidence that it will pick up anyone stronger than you (and universities know the quality of what they attract in clearing); then it is the better the devil you know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending