The Student Room Group

Argh! Help me grad-entry vets!!

I am slowly losing hope, which is unusual for me because I have been hell-bent on getting into vet school from the age of about 12. Now going into my second year of a Forensic Science degree, I have hardly had time to do any work experience, I did all of it in fifth/sixth year at school but my grades were crap at the time. I now have two years to apply for graduate entry, and all of the places I've emailed/written to for work experience haven't replied or said they only take on actual vet students. The practice I visited while at home is always too busy, and the sheep farmer who used to own the livery I had a horse at didnt bother to get in touch when I asked if I could help with the lambing.
So what do I do now? My family work on a dairy farm so plenty of work there. I also ride so I could ask at the stables I suppose :confused:

I'm really disheartened that I have gained so little experience this year, it all seems to be one disappointment after another. Basically I need a good kick up the arse, but apart from that, any advice? I have a part time job in a restaurant but I can ask for time off in the summer.
I just don't want to stress myself over getting a 2:1 to get into vet school when I don't have the experience I need :frown:
Reply 1
Hey,
I really didnt do that much work experience whilst at uni, in fact I didnt do any in my first two years. I wouldnt stress about it too much, I used what I had befre uni and did some this year. Once you are a graduate it sets you apart from school leavers as you have already proven you can cope witn-and do well in- a degree (oh and the fees also set you apart).

My advice would be to concentrate more on getting a 2.1, if you dont get that, your chances of getting in are going to be reduced much more then having less work experience.
Reply 2
I didn't have all that much when I applied really - I'd spent 2 years working Saturdays at a dairy farm, and ridden / worked at stables since I was 13, so that's nothing that you don't have by the sounds of it. Then I had done 1 week at a vet practice during school, and 2 more the summer before I applied. I had also organised a week at a zoo vets, but it hadn't actually happened by the time my application went in. I still got all 4 interviews though. There are people on my course (4 yr RVC) that have much less work experience than me, and they still got on.

Basically, it sounds like you're doing pretty well for husbandary experience already, though doing more can never hurt. Keep trying the practices as this seems to be where you need some more experience most - perhaps try ringing them? It's harder to turn you down on the phone, and shows commitment. And perhaps think about doing something more unusual - it's always good to have an interesting talking point for interviews.

If you want some sheep work, you can always come shearing in the Orkneys this summer - great fun and good experience too! (yup, can't oversell this enough - 2 of best weeks of my life were spent there last year!)
Reply 3
Heya
I'm a 4th year at Glasgow and loads of my friends are graduates. I had the same problem as you trying to get practices to go to as they only wanted actual vet students, so I wrote to them saying I was 'going to be a vet student' (before I got a place) and that seemed to work at a couple of places. Depending on where you apply (Glasgow is one of them), some places put less emphasis on actual vet practice EMS than on actual farm EMS so you could well find you've got a big advantage over the other students anyway. I had done bugger all time at the vets, but loads of farm work (which is far more beneficial to you at vet school anyway) and they were really impressed with that at my interview.
Don't give up hope, you'll love vet school when you get in!

Latest

Trending

Trending