The Student Room Group

Starbucks job - references??

Hi guys, I am hoping to receive some help here...
I am looking to apply for some part time jobs and I am quite interested in applying for Starbucks and Tesco (leaning more towards Starbucks though).
I do realize that Starbucks wants me to put 2 references on my application form. When my tutor has said that he would be the one writing me a reference, I am not sure if he is happy to write one when the job I am applying for is completely irrelevant to what I'm studying.
What I really wanted to ask is - are they really going to contact my referees if I got to the interview stage? I told my tutor about him being my referee but I never specifically said for what kind of jobs...
Can someone please help? Many thanks...

Edit: I also want to know if Tesco needs references?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by vicztang
Hi guys, I am hoping to receive some help here...
I am looking to apply for some part time jobs and I am quite interested in applying for Starbucks and Tesco (leaning more towards Starbucks though).
I do realize that Starbucks wants me to put 2 references on my application form. When my tutor has said that he would be the one writing me a reference, I am not sure if he is happy to write one when the job I am applying for is completely irrelevant to what I'm studying.
What I really wanted to ask is - are they really going to contact my referees if I got to the interview stage? I told my tutor about him being my referee but I never specifically said for what kind of jobs...
Can someone please help? Many thanks...

There is no harm in approaching or emailing your tutor to let them know you'd like to put them for a job at starbucks. Your tutor will understand - they will have been asked many times before to be a reference.

Tesco will need references, every chain will.
Reply 2
Original post by pjm600
There is no harm in approaching or emailing your tutor to let them know you'd like to put them for a job at starbucks. Your tutor will understand - they will have been asked many times before to be a reference.

Tesco will need references, every chain will.

right... I emailed my tutor earlier today asking if he would be happy with me putting him down as a referee for a retail job. Still waiting for his reply... funny how uni tells us to apply for work experience and jobs related to our course, but guess who is either failing the online questionnaires, or handing out CV's and never getting replies? *slowly raises hand*

anyway thanks a lot for your reply! will see what my tutor says :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending