The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Triple Science (Specification B) - Ultimate Thread

Write then everyone. Here is the place for anyone who is taking AQA Biology, Chemistry and Physics Specification B exam. Any questions, ideas about the exam, likely topics to come up, tips for how to revise etc can be posted here.

Please can posts only about these particular exams be posted here, so that we do not go spiralling off topic.

I'll get us going - with this being the last year this exam will be set, what types of question do you think will come up? Do you think they will re-use past questions or create new ones?

Oh and also, what does everyone think is the best way to revise. Specifications? Revision guides? Especially for someone who's notes are rather lacking after not having paid attention much for the last two years.

Thanks! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi!

I'm doing AQA triple science and I absolutely hate thechemistry in action module. THERES TOO MUCH TO REMEMBER!!!!!

Anyone have any tips for this one?

Thanks
Reply 2
aqa give us the full range of past papers, what i do is firstly get the revision notes from the aqa revision guides, read if i know the topic, or if im sketchy go indepth, then bang on the pastpapers, markshemes are also on site to help u check

remembering this is a 2hr15min exam there is likely gonna be a very large range of topics coming up just revise em all
Yeah, I think there's normally around 20/25 questions, each on a different topic, so you really need to know everything. There're some things that come up every year, which you can find out by looking at the papers that are on the website, but there're other things that rarely come up, so if they were on last years paper, but no other recent ones, the chances are it probably won't come up. But learn it anyway...they like to trick us :wink:.
Reply 4
Right, today's plan is to revise as much of Physics as possible. Does anyone have any good links, sendable documents or advice to help me get through. Thanks in advance!
Reply 5
For the sections of the specification which don't have a 'Candidates should be able to...' section at the end, is the information there all you need to know for the exam?

If I make a revision card on the specification section, I can remember most of the info but when I do a past paper question I seem to miss out on easy marks because I forget the simpler stuff or forget to answer the question / read the question for clues - for example a question on aerobic respiration has something to do with oxygen...

Today I've only made 1 revision card for Biology... I'm getting worried that I won't revise enough before the exam!
Reply 6
I'm just going through the textbook with the specification, making notes from sections I don't know (most).. :redface:

Can't really think of anything else to do. :frown:

x
Reply 7
Which textbook are you using, Jackus?

I feel really annoyed that I'm not doing anything productive! And the fact that there's so many other subjects I haven't started revising for!
Reply 8
They are Heinemann textbooks given to us by the school for each science.. "Biology/Chemistry/Physics for AQA Separate Award".
Reply 9
I've been trying to read through the pages in the rev guide and write them out on a blank page. But now with not much time left I havent reached halfway in any of the three sciences.

So i'm just wandering whether to -
A) Carry on what I'm doing now, trying to go through all the topics. Then a brief revise over everything the day before one of the exams

B) Or try and do past papers and mark them instead. Then revise from them.

Any idea which is best anyone?
(and someone mentioned something about revising online - http://www.s-cool.co.uk/ I thought was quite good, but i'm sticking to the rev guide for now)
Reply 10
Don't you find it difficult to revise from a textbook because there's so much information - and you don't know which stuff you have to learn?
Reply 11
Well, I use the specification and the text book together - read through in the text book so I understand it, and then make notes from the specification on what I need to know. Ditto to jjintheuk, I am not even half way through any of them by my method.. :frown: Its ****ing depressing, thats for sure. I just can't think of any better methods.
tc123
Right, today's plan is to revise as much of Physics as possible. Does anyone have any good links, sendable documents or advice to help me get through. Thanks in advance!

Here's a good site - some of the things are for the new syllabus, but still very good revision notes

http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/physics_gcse.htm
Reply 13
Well are you almost halfway? I have only made notes on sections 10.1 - 10.5 of the specification, so 5 sections out of 31 for only Biology - I haven't started Chem or Phys yet!

I think I am going to devote one day per science subject for the next 3 days! Will that be enough / how many hours do you think it will take - I am aiming for an A*!!!
Reply 14
tba
Well are you almost halfway? I have only made notes on sections 10.1 - 10.5 of the specification, so 5 sections out of 31 for only Biology - I haven't started Chem or Phys yet!

I think I am going to devote one day per science subject for the next 3 days! Will that be enough / how many hours do you think it will take - I am aiming for an A*!!!

Haha, you do sound a lot like me, especially with the having not paid much attention during the 2 years. :smile: I have done about 6 sections in total for all the sciences. :redface: I am planning on doing as you suggested.. one day per science for the next 3 days.. and see where I am at the end of that. I'm kinda hoping that there will be some topics I won't have to make as many notes for as I'm confident on them.. but.. yeah. :rolleyes: Maybe not.

Going to try and do a couple of hours of... Chemistry now I think.
Reply 15
Good luck! I'm highlighting the Bio spec right now, but the problem is I'm ending up highlighting almost every word - and I don't know if the info has sunk in!
Reply 16
Jackus
:frown: Its ****ing depressing, thats for sure. I just can't think of any better methods.

I feel the same. It seems to take so long to read and try and take in some of those pages from the guide and specification. I'll try a past paper today or tomorrow and see if I like revising from that more.
I'm also doing those three exams, i've highlighted the specifications and i'm now working through the past papers. I do as much as i can then look at the mark scheme and fill the rest in/check my answers. Then i go back to the specification and read the sections i have got wrong in the past paper. I'm finding this really helps :smile:
Good luck everyone
Reply 18
Any tips on how to answer the longer questions worth more marks? Especially if you're not sure on what the answer is - what's the best way of answering the question? Should you try to mention as many ideas as possible even though they might not be right?
done bio and chem, and the electricity in physics :biggrin:

Latest