The Student Room Group

What does it feel like to be Muslim and see all the Islamophobic posts on here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Onde
:tongue: hilarious I was called up on calling Islam a cult, but not for calling it an evil ideology, or for calling it an ideology that (venerates) a genocidal warlord from the 7th century.

Mate, the only comment I saw of yours was you saying its a cult so thats why i called it up. Its not a evil ideology .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Onde
I don't feel the need to explain inconsistencies in the practices of members of Islam, Manchester City, Al-Qaeda etc. If the ideology and founding member are both deeply objectionable, and are being used to motivate and 'justify' atrocities, I believe they should be challenged.

But most Muslims, one assumes, would be well on board with your criticism of the use of their religion to justify acts of terror and tyranny. Therefore we have inconsistencies in the practices of Muslims so great that a large majority of them are actually on your side, and still for reasons of argumentative expediency you refuse flatly, without reasoning given, to draw any distinction between them.

Muslims may be more defensive about the barbarity of their founding text and it is contributory to the problem that Islam places such a high value on scriptural literalism. Nevertheless I think that when pressed Muslims would acknowledge that such verses as are held up as barbarous are not of much use in the modern world, particularly in a stable, peaceful country.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zarrii
Would you say that you have a fear of Islam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope
Original post by scrotgrot
But most Muslims, one assumes, would be well on board with your criticism of the use of their religion to justify acts of terror and tyranny.

Muslims may be more defensive about the barbarity of their founding text and it is contributory to the problem that Islam places such a high value on scriptural literalism. Nevertheless I think that when pressed Muslims would acknowledge that such verses as are held up as barbarous are not of much use in the modern world, particularly in a stable, peaceful country.

You realise the Quran was written 1,500 years ago? Muslims have changed, its only terrorist groups like ISIS who want to enforce their own twisted version of Islam which does not correspond with the Islam that 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide follow.
Original post by Frank Underwood
You realise the Quran was written 1,500 years ago? Muslims have changed, its only terrorist groups like ISIS who want to enforce their own twisted version of Islam which does not correspond with the Islam that 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide follow.

Oh dear, and there was I thinking I was writing quite well in that post. Obviously I have been terribly unclear. What you have just said is essentially the argument I have been making throughout.

Nevertheless I make the concession that Islam is more brutal than other comparable religions because of the political situation at the time, and I further make the concession that the strand of scriptural literalism running through cultural Islam has made it easy for philosophies like that of ISIS to emerge.

These are important to acknowledge, however, I certainly feel they are not causative. People in the twentieth century especially have shown the lengths to which they will go to commit barbarity in the name of almost any ideology, so there is little weight in the argument that essential elements of the Muslim religion, particularly the Muslim religion from many centuries ago, are doomed to cause ISIS.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by scrotgrot
Oh dear, and there was I thinking I was writing quite well in that post. Obviously I have been terribly unclear. What you have just said is essentially the argument I have been making throughout.

And I was agreeing with you.
Im tired.. i really am. i literally just saw another Muslim hate thread and I sighed out loud and then saw this thread and was like... well. how convenient. ... yeah no it really is just tiring to have to apologise for the actions of extremists and people who are anything but muslim. I just can't see sense in it and frankly it scares me the amount of Islamaphobia and hate I see on the internet.
And I was agreeing with you.

Sorry, your "You realise...?" signalled to me that you were disagreeing.
They would sympathise.

Muslims are hot-blooded, fierce people, and their culture is very us-vs-them, violent, and places high importance on comradeship. They are culturally closer to war than we are, because they have lived through it constantly, whereas we haven't had war for a while. However, Europeans behaved practically like muslims in world war 2, because back then their society was at war.

This same "our tribe is being attacked" response is now coming up in Europeans who feel resentment against muslims, and it is only natural. Muslims can put themselves in the same shoes. Just ask how they feel about Jews, for example, and they will look just like right wing euroskeptics do in Britain.

Anyway, the best way to deal with radicalisation is to use some *cough* underhanded methods to cause in-fighting between extremists in Europe. For example, make extreme muslims attack muslims who aren't extreme enough, or get different muslim ghettos to attack each other. This can be achieved by the government throwing in Arab double-agents into Mosques and Islamic communities. Get a terror attack to target a mosque or islamic community centre. Once the normal muslims feel directly attacked by the extremists, they will rat all of them out in a week. (and I reckon practically every muslim with a big family in the UK knows a certain who-and-who who is quite obsessed to the point of fundamentalism, or a certain Imam who has some dodgy connections to Wahhabism.... in short we can use them to quickly uncover the whole underground network AND unite normal muslims with the rest of society, so that the two develop mutual understanding and brotherhood.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Hmmm I'm not a Muslim anymore so it doesn't feel like threads by people who call themselves "MuslimScum" are aimed at me.

But when I was, it made me wonder whether this was what my collegues, classmates, neighbours etc really thought of me. This is why I stand up to such people; they create more division and only worsen the problem, imo.
Original post by Tomasio
160+ racially motivated murders of innocent europeans within the last 4 months.

Thousands of cases of Widespread gang rapings, devaluing and dehumanizing 12 year old girls.

The hate on Islam is not racism, it is a reaction to the outrageous acts that have become increasingly widespread, and basically part of the baggage that comes with having Islam in Europe.

Most overly Politically correct lefties will chose to take no action in the fear of 'offending' Islamics. This will probably result in terrorists blowing a train up in London, as no action will have been taken to get to the root of the problem.

The left wing culture has blood on it's hands due to it's delusional ideology over ridiculous over acceptance, scared to offend those who NEED offending.

You say that its 'a reaction to the outrageous acts that have become increasingly widespread' but seem to generalize all Muslims as being behind this.I mean if that's your justification for thinking that racism is okay then i guess its okay to be racist to anyone, or do you just hold this opinion for the Islamic community only? You can't just blame a whole community of people for the actions of a small minority of people who claim to be Muslims, it's not as if I believe that its okay to be racist to Irish people because of the IRA or to Christians because of the Klu Klux Klan etc.

Islam is not culture it is a religion which is something that people seem to forget meaning that it is not linked with just Asian people or just African people etc. And in terms of 'baggage in Europe' I would just like to say that if you consider a school of thought that is highly respected in the science community as well as having a MAJOR influence in simple everyday life(i.e. that coffee that keeps you awake...discovered by a Muslim) than you should probably consider getting a bit of background knowledge before stating opinions as facts.

P.S. its not Islamics its Muslims
Propaganda assumes bias.
It's makes me feel like an outsider, like I'm a second class citizen because of my faith, it also makes me feel a lot of anger towards IS or the ppl who r tarnishing my religion by their barbaric actions. I hate it. It makes me scared being out cause I think everyone's judging me, looking at me and thinking I'm a terrorist. When all I want to do is get on with my life like everyone else, it makes me think that everyone around me is judging me, or thinking things based on what they believe my religion is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
How are Muslims treated by white people?
I work in Sainsburys and a colleague told me old ladies keep giving her dirty looks because she's Muslim.
Reply 54
Original post by MedStudent1997
It's makes me feel like an outsider, like I'm a second class citizen because of my faith, it also makes me feel a lot of anger towards IS or the ppl who r tarnishing my religion by their barbaric actions. I hate it. It makes me scared being out cause I think everyone's judging me, looking at me and thinking I'm a terrorist. When all I want to do is get on with my life like everyone else, it makes me think that everyone around me is judging me, or thinking things based on what they believe my religion is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh
Sorry to hear that mate. Chin up
Original post by williever
I saw this simple analogy on another w/site a while ago and thought it quite apt.

If you were offered by someone to take a sweet from a bag of sweets, and
hidden amongst them was a deadly poisonous one. Would you still take one?

The problem with people like you is that you think you can dull down a terrible humanitarian crisis into a one-dimensional model like this.
The problem with people like you is that you think you can dull down a terrible humanitarian crisis into a one-dimensional model like this.

People like me? Then you are mistaken. Nothing to do with the humanitarian crises at all.
People like me? Then you are mistaken. Nothing to do with the humanitarian crises at all.

Well great job on making it clear what your analogy even refers to
I saw this simple analogy on another w/site a while ago and thought it quite apt.

If you were offered by someone to take a sweet from a bag of sweets, and
hidden amongst them was a deadly poisonous one. Would you still take one?

Good analogy
Well great job on making it clear what your analogy even refers to

It seems you may be suffering from some comprehension skills.

If the analogy can somehow help Muslims understand why some people may have trust issues then it may have some merit..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending