The Student Room Group

Confused about GCSE's needed to teach

Due to no reason of my own I managed to fail GCSE science (grade D) back in 2010. I never thought that I would want to teach so I didn't bother to privately resit but now I have changed my mind. I am looking at different distant learning courses but I'm a little confused about what I will need. Would I just be able to do a GCSE in biology and then be able to do a QTS course or would I need to do bio, chem and physics or do a double science award?
Thank you
Original post by kayleighisonfire
Due to no reason of my own I managed to fail GCSE science (grade D) back in 2010. I never thought that I would want to teach so I didn't bother to privately resit but now I have changed my mind. I am looking at different distant learning courses but I'm a little confused about what I will need. Would I just be able to do a GCSE in biology and then be able to do a QTS course or would I need to do bio, chem and physics or do a double science award?
Thank you

Hi there, i was in the same situation as you - wanted to teach but didn't meet the Science entry requirement (i got 2 x grade D for double science). I checked with a local provider and was told it could be a single science GCSE, any science (check the entry requirements online for some places you might be interested in). So i did GCSE Biology with Oxford Open Learning (and got an A!). I will start my PGCE in September.

The above is for primary teaching. I don't think you need a science GCSE for secondary.
Reply 2
Original post by alymau
Hi there, i was in the same situation as you - wanted to teach but didn't meet the Science entry requirement (i got 2 x grade D for double science). I checked with a local provider and was told it could be a single science GCSE, any science (check the entry requirements online for some places you might be interested in). So i did GCSE Biology with Oxford Open Learning (and got an A!). I will start my PGCE in September.

The above is for primary teaching. I don't think you need a science GCSE for secondary.

Thank you so much! I was looking at doing biology but still unsure. Congrats on your grade and good luck on doing your PGCE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending