The Student Room Group

How to apply to transfer to new university while in first year HELP!!!

I would like to know, how would you go about applying to a new university while in your first year at a current university, as my brother wants to change course from maths at Imperial to economics at UCL.

1) What exactly would be required (new PS, new ref, new ucas app etc)
2) How would he go about doing it.
3) Do they usually make you start from year one on the new course?
4) If he was to get a place, do they usually require a 2:i in the current course? or if he's already got the a-level requirements, will the offer most likely be unconditional?

He's currently first year straight maths at Imperial, and wants to switch to one of Economics/Economics and Statistics/Economics, Finance and Statistics at UCL.

Thanks for the help.
Reply 1
E-mail admissions from UCL or ring them. He'll probably have to start over, as there's probably not much (if any) overlap between maths/econ first year. If that's the case, then he may need to re-do the whole UCAS cycle, but UCL can probably give him confirmation of a place before he applies. Given that, a 2.i probably won't be required, as his A-levels will most likely get him a spot, but a 2.i surely wouldn't hurt and he can put that in his UCAS application.
Reply 2
Anyone got any other info about how he could go about doing this, with regards to my questions?
Reply 3
Anyone else got any info plzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think sarbrius pretty much covered it. Not all unis accept transfers, and those that do have quite different policies, so he really needs to contact UCL and find out a) if it's possible and b) what he needs to do. I can't see him being allowed second year entry when he wants to change courses though, which means he'd most likely have to make a new UCAS application, and with UCL being a top uni, it's probably too late to do that this year, so he'd have to drop out of Imperial, take a year out and reapply. If he does that, his offers would obviously be unconditional, but having a 2.1 for his first year at Imperial would be an advantage. Get your brother to have a look at the UCL website/prospectus and phone/email the admissions tutor for the course he wants to do to discuss his options.
i think you should look in the general uni forum there are quite a few people asking similar questions
Reply 6
He can either ring the uni he wants to go to directly, and explain the situation to them and see what he has to do. Or he can apply through UCAS. But since that costs money, it makes much more sense to ring the uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending