The Student Room Group

What uni??

Guys I need help, I got an unconditional offer for history at Birmingham but im stuck between Birmingham and Exeter! Exeter overall is better in terms of league and my offer was ABB, but unconditional would make the exams far less stressful! Anybody got any advice??
Original post by Harryy:)
Guys I need help, I got an unconditional offer for history at Birmingham but im stuck between Birmingham and Exeter! Exeter overall is better in terms of league and my offer was ABB, but unconditional would make the exams far less stressful! Anybody got any advice??

Don't firm a university that is trying to manipulate you for their own benefit. Birmingham's unconditional offers are for their own advantage and not for you. If you prefer Exeter then go for it. Do your best in the exams but remember a LOT of people are accepted into their firm choice with dropped grades (in 2015 at least 41% of people accepted by their firm choice missed their predictions by 2 or more grades). Exeter will only reject you if you miss your grades in a way that makes them worry that you wont cope with the course or if they physically can't teach you because everyone else met their offers or more than expected applicants made Exeter their firm.

It sounds like the only thing drawing you to Birmingham over Exeter is their manipulative offer - don't fall for it.

Exeter Streatham or Exeter Penryn?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Don't firm a university that is trying to manipulate you for their own benefit. Birmingham's unconditional offers are for their own advantage and not for you. If you prefer Exeter then go for it. Do your best in the exams but remember a LOT of people are accepted into their firm choice with dropped grades (in 2015 at least 41% of people accepted by their firm choice missed their predictions by 2 or more grades). Exeter will only reject you if you miss your grades in a way that makes them worry that you wont cope with the course or if they physically can't teach you because everyone else met their offers or more than expected applicants made Exeter their firm.

It sounds like the only thing drawing you to Birmingham over Exeter is their manipulative offer - don't fall for it.

Thanks for the reply, you have a point! I think also I live just outside of Exeter and go to the college everyday and I want to experience something new. But should I focus more of the quality of the university? Has anyone heard what Birmingham is like as a university or if its just as good as Exeter?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Exeter Streatham or Exeter Penryn?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Streatham!
Streatham!

In that case you have an interesting decision. Would you live at home if you attended Exeter? If so, how would you feel about that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
In that case you have an interesting decision. Would you live at home if you attended Exeter? If so, how would you feel about that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put for my first year to stay in halls and then probably second and third years at home to save money. I'm worried that I won't experience the true university life if i'm so close to home, and my college is literally opposite the university. Do you think university ranking is more important than that?
I put for my first year to stay in halls and then probably second and third years at home to save money. I'm worried that I won't experience the true university life if i'm so close to home, and my college is literally opposite the university. Do you think university ranking is more important than that?

My son went to Exeter so I know how close your college is.

Halls will start you off on the 'uni experience', but living at home after that could hamper your social life a bit. That might partly depend on how tolerant your parents are!

I always suggest going with the course you prefer. For me, that would be Exeter, but that's because of the modules and the lecturers.

As PQ says, don't choose Birmingham just because of the unconditional offer. Go for the uni that you prefer, look at course content, facilities, location e.c.t
Reply 9
Original post by jelly1000
As PQ says, don't choose Birmingham just because of the unconditional offer. Go for the uni that you prefer, look at course content, facilities, location e.c.t

Thank you! I dont particualy want to be near home as i want to experience something new, exeter is a better uni but birmingham still isnt bad at all. Is it bad to pick a uni based on locatiom alone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending