The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Living in self-catered halls - various questions...

I have some random but quite specific questions about living in self-catered, en-suite accommodation (probably Birks, but most of these questions could apply to any halls)...it would be great if someone familiar with halls could respond!

Can you get grocery deliveries to halls?

I've heard you're not allowed fairy lights but what about sneaky battery-operated LEDs? :smile:

How much freezer space does each person get in the kitchen?

How much does use of the laundry room cost (& how often do you usually do laundry/what's the best time?)

Are there music practice rooms? And can anyone use them?

Thanks!
Original post by u6km
I have some random but quite specific questions about living in self-catered, en-suite accommodation (probably Birks, but most of these questions could apply to any halls)...it would be great if someone familiar with halls could respond!

Can you get grocery deliveries to halls? - Yes you can

I've heard you're not allowed fairy lights but what about sneaky battery-operated LEDs? :smile: - Still against the rules although nobody really gives a crap, just remove them before your room is inspected, easy to do as you are notified of when the inspection is going to be.

How much freezer space does each person get in the kitchen? - Somewhere in the region of one drawer, although as with everything it depends entirely on who is in your flat and how much they all use.

How much does use of the laundry room cost (& how often do you usually do laundry/what's the best time?) - About £3 to £4 for a wash & dry. As for how often, how exactly is anybody going to be able to tell you how often you should do your own washing?

Are there music practice rooms? And can anyone use them? - Yes and yes

Thanks!

There you go.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by u6km

Can you get grocery deliveries to halls? So yeah. Just make sure you are in when they are delivering-some halls (im thinking the god awful Old Lafrowda where i stayed...ugghhh) didnt have a way to call up to your room, so if you forgot, you missed out on all those precious groceries.

I've heard you're not allowed fairy lights but what about sneaky battery-operated LEDs? :smile: Sure you could take them down, but I've always seen people just openly flaunt them in their rooms, so i'm not sure if they give a crap.

How much freezer space does each person get in the kitchen? So I was in an flat with 11 people including myself. We had three fridges and three freezers, each with technically 4 shelves, so pretty much one each. I'd try and claim one, and quick, when you get in there, and make sure people know which one is yours.

How much does use of the laundry room cost (& how often do you usually do laundry/what's the best time?) Laundry was £2.50, Drying was £1.30 i think? It's been two years, so forgive me If i cant remember. Wash every time you run out of clothes would be my advice. I know most people didnt trust the driers to do a good job (myself included) and just dried most of it in our rooms (not strictly allowed but whatever). You can use the iExeter app to monitor when machines are being used, and generally when they are busy in case you want to plan when to wash.

Are there music practice rooms? And can anyone use them? Pretty much

Thanks!

So Mackemforever pretty much answered everything, but to expand, i've added some further descriptions...

Let me know if you have any more questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending