The Student Room Group

TMD driving me crazy...caused by orthodontist?

I have always had an asymmetric jaw which never quite closed perfectly but it didn't cause me any issues and was comfortable when eating etc. I got braces at 14 to correct overly crooked and out of place teeth. After about 1 & 1/2 years of braces I was fitted with elastics to pull my jaw sideways and forward, in order to improve my bite. I attempted to explain to my orthodontist that I was delivered by forceps, which caused some disruption in the growth of my jaw, meaning one side of my jaw is shorter than the other, but they continued to fit me with elastics. I have now had elastics on for about a year and I have suddenly started to notice a clicking and popping of my jaw almost every time I open my mouth, what the heck? Its not painful but really uncomfortable and my jaw almost feels like its been pulled way too far forwards. I know they're supposed to be the experts but I can't help but feel like they've gone a step too far. Can they push it back a little, will this help my TMD and what can I do in the mean time to improve this popping? I am very conscious of it now, meaning I may be doing it subconsciously but I just want it to stop its so annoying. Please help me :frown:
Original post by PalindromeGirl
I have always had an asymmetric jaw which never quite closed perfectly but it didn't cause me any issues and was comfortable when eating etc. I got braces at 14 to correct overly crooked and out of place teeth. After about 1 & 1/2 years of braces I was fitted with elastics to pull my jaw sideways and forward, in order to improve my bite. I attempted to explain to my orthodontist that I was delivered by forceps, which caused some disruption in the growth of my jaw, meaning one side of my jaw is shorter than the other, but they continued to fit me with elastics. I have now had elastics on for about a year and I have suddenly started to notice a clicking and popping of my jaw almost every time I open my mouth, what the heck? Its not painful but really uncomfortable and my jaw almost feels like its been pulled way too far forwards. I know they're supposed to be the experts but I can't help but feel like they've gone a step too far. Can they push it back a little, will this help my TMD and what can I do in the mean time to improve this popping? I am very conscious of it now, meaning I may be doing it subconsciously but I just want it to stop its so annoying. Please help me :frown:

I'm not sure what we can suggest really other than talk to them and your normal dentist or ask for a second opinion. Unfortunately braces don't work for everyone but if they've actively made your problems worse, they should at least try to sort it out again! Hope you do manage to get it sorted anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest