The Student Room Group

Southampton vs Swansea

I can't decide between these two, Southampton seems like the more responsible choice due to the reputation and links to industry, but they want me to do a foundation year. Swansea looks to be in a great setting (and it's direct entry) but I don't know if it'll lead to the same opportunities. Both courses have good looking modules although South. seems to delve more into management towards the end. Can anyone provide an insight or some advice? Thanks for reading :smile:

EDIT: Forgot to mention my course :P
I'll be studying BEng Aerospace Engineering (or Aeronautics&Astronautics at south.) with a year in industry and will probably apply to do the integrated masters.

EDIT 2: Background; I'm currently on an access course so can understand the foundation year being worthwhile, just wondered whether or not it'd actually be that much help when it comes to the maths
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Swansea. They both have great engineering schools, and swansea is investing a lot in their engineering departments.

In very few cases it is worth going to a better school if you are required to do an extra year.
Reply 2
Original post by Summit
Swansea. They both have great engineering schools, and swansea is investing a lot in their engineering departments.

In very few cases it is worth going to a better school if you are required to do an extra year.

See this is what I've been thinking, with Swansea investing so much at the minute it's bound to get better and better, whereas Southampton is already up there. I found out today Southampton don't actually offer placement years in industry too which is a bummer :frown: (although yes I know you can freeze your studies for a year to go and work).

Anyway, thanks for the input!
(edited 8 years ago)
I wouldn't place too much weighting on having a year in industry, the reality is there aren't actually that many placements especially if you're applying after second year. I go to a similar tier engineering school and can name three people across two years who got placements, two of which were summer placements and all of them were high achievers and President/VP of related societies.

I'd go for Swansea though, it'll save you a year and if you want to go somewhere like Southampton later you can always do a masters there.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
I wouldn't place too much weighting on having a year in industry, the reality is there aren't actually that many placements especially if you're applying after second year. I go to a similar tier engineering school and can name three people across two years who got placements, two of which were summer placements and all of them were high achievers and President/VP of related societies.

I'd go for Swansea though, it'll save you a year and if you want to go somewhere like Southampton later you can always do a masters there.

Again this had crossed my mind (the possibility of only doing a BEng at Swansea then moving across somewhere else to do a MEng, rather than doing it all integrated). Thank you to you also for the input! The responses seem to be coming out unanimously :P
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Max_Power
Again this had crossed my mind (the possibility of only doing a BEng at Swansea then moving across somewhere else to do a MEng, rather than doing it all integrated). Thank you to you also for the input! The responses seem to be coming out unanimously :P

If you do the BEng at Swansea (or wherever) it would be an MSc that you do next. And because the Masters wouldn't be integrated the funding can be trickier (ie the student loan doesn't cover it).

That's not to say it's a bad idea, just to be aware...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
If you do the BEng at Swansea (or wherever) it would be an MSc that you do next. And because the Masters wouldn't be integrated the funding can be trickier (ie the student loan doesn't cover it).

That's not to say it's a bad idea, just to be aware...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the student loan will cover tuition for the masters (or the large majority of it), just not living costs.
Reply 7
Original post by Helloworld_95
Well the student loan will cover tuition for the masters (or the large majority of it), just not living costs.

True.

Quick Reply

Latest