The Student Room Group

A Level A2 OCR Media Studies

Hi didn't see a thread for this so decided to create one. If anyone has any information regarding postmodernism or any revision resources please post it here.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *ihavenoidea*
Hi didn't see a thread for this so decided to create one. If anyone has any information regarding postmodernism or any revision resources please post it here.

I've just moved this to the media section for you :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
I've just moved this to the media section for you :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi:smile: I'm doing postmodern- absolutely love it!

http://www.slideshare.net/anniapple/postmodernism-1523222 this slideshare is quite useful. I would recommend planning your essay examples and practitioners beforehand: the questions are always "what is postmodnernism? use examples", described in one way or another.

I, for example have a plan of...

Judith Butler - queer theory, celebration of all genders/ sexualities - madonna: justify my love
Jean Baudrillard- gulf war didn't happen, hyperreality, simulacra, consumerism - The Truman Show
Jean Francois Lyotard- fracturing of metanarratives- The Simpsons
Frederic Jameson- intertextuality - The Simpsons
David Gauntlett - web 2.0 - considering the end of postmodernity.

Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by IzzyWatkins
Hi:smile: I'm doing postmodern- absolutely love it!

http://www.slideshare.net/anniapple/postmodernism-1523222 this slideshare is quite useful. I would recommend planning your essay examples and practitioners beforehand: the questions are always "what is postmodnernism? use examples", described in one way or another.

I, for example have a plan of...

Judith Butler - queer theory, celebration of all genders/ sexualities - madonna: justify my love
Jean Baudrillard- gulf war didn't happen, hyperreality, simulacra, consumerism - The Truman Show
Jean Francois Lyotard- fracturing of metanarratives- The Simpsons
Frederic Jameson- intertextuality - The Simpsons
David Gauntlett - web 2.0 - considering the end of postmodernity.

Good luck :biggrin:

Thank you this is really helpful :adore:
does anyone know the questions from last year? i cant find the exam paper anywhere, really trying to figure out what question 1b will be because 2014 it was genre and 2013 it was representation 2012 was media language which basically means a combo of all of them
Original post by dahliahijklmnop_
does anyone know the questions from last year? i cant find the exam paper anywhere, really trying to figure out what question 1b will be because 2014 it was genre and 2013 it was representation 2012 was media language which basically means a combo of all of them

I took a look at the 2011 past paper and its audeince so this year it could be that. Also 2010 was genre so it might go in order of that but not sure tbh.
:s-smilie:
Original post by dahliahijklmnop_

Question 1B was narrative but I don't remember the others.

sucks cause narrative is my favourite :'(
Does anyone have advice on how to answer question 11? Cause I’m finding it difficult to structure my answer.
:s-smilie:
Question 1A was Real Media Conventions and 1B Was Narrative Theory.
I've predicted that for 1B either Audience Theory or Media Language will come up as they haven't been up for quite a few years.
Can someone give me any tips on how to structure section B (I'm doing Representation of Women in film/tv)

Many thanks
Hey guys!
I've made a list of all the past concepts from section 1B from past papers:

June 2015 - Narrative
June 2014 - Genre
June 2013 - Representation
Jan 2013 - Narrative
June 2012 - Media Language
Jan 2012 - Representation
June 2011 - Audience
Jan 2011 - Narrative
June 2010 - Genre
Jan 2010 - Representation

Therefore, based on these, I reckon it will be either audience (hasn't come up in 5 years!) or media language (hasn't come up in 4 years)

But tbh it could be any:smile:
I agree that it could be Audience or Media lanuguage for 1b because they have each only came up once whereas Representation and Narrative have come up three times and Genre twice.

For 1a however the amount of times each have came up are

Research and Planning: 3
Creativity: 5
Conventions of Real Media texts: 4
Post-production: 2
Digital technology: 2

I feel that any of these could come up with Creativity, however, they may also try to throw people off and
Digital Technology and Post-production may come up together!!

(all just the balance of probablity though)
(edited 7 years ago)
Revision for Audience Theory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMbPDkVA9q4
Reply 14
Hey thanks for the help! :smile:
do you happen to have the dates of when they asked each one?
similar to ThatGirlJemma layout
Reply 15
I also found this to be helpful for revision

http://www.slideshare.net/andywallis/a2-media-studies-revision-pack
Reply 16
OCR-Postmodern past questions

January 2010
Whatis meant by ‘postmodern media’? [50]

Explain why the idea of ‘postmodern media’ might be considered controversial. [50]

June 2010
Why are some media products described as ‘postmodern’? [50]

“Postmodern media blurthe boundary between reality and representation”. Discuss this idea with reference to media texts that you have studied. [50]

January 2011
Explain how certain kinds of media can be defined as postmodern. [50]

Discuss why some people are not convinced by the idea of postmodern media. [50]

June 2011
How do post modern media differ from other media? [50]

How far do you accept the idea of postmodern media? [50]

January 2012
“Postmodern media manipulate time and space.” To what extent does this definition apply to texts you have studied? [50]

Define postmodern media, with examples. [50]

June 2012
Assess the arguments for and against postmodernism, in relation to media examples. [50]

“Postmodern media break the rules of representation.” Discuss. [50]

January 2013
“All contemporary media is postmodern.” Discuss this statement in relation to examples you have studied. [50]

Evaluate theories of postmodernism in relation to media. [50]

June 2013
Provide your definition of postmodern media and support it with examples. [50]

To what extent do postmodern media challenge the relationship between text and audience? [50]

June 2014

What makes a media text postmodern? Explain, with examples. [50]

Explain the most important theories of postmodernism and apply them to media texts you have studied. [50]

June 2015
What difference does postmodernism make to our media experiences? [50]

‘Postmodern media challenge the conventions of representations.’ Discuss with referencethe text you have studied. [50]
(edited 7 years ago)
what is media language? As in how do you answer that question? I feel like it is the most ambiguous of them all. Also this thread is so helpful, thanks
Original post by gabpurvis
what is media language? As in how do you answer that question? I feel like it is the most ambiguous of them all. Also this thread is so helpful, thanks

It's probably my least favourite too:/

Media language allows us to use familiar codes and conventions that are generally understood. Basically, it is a way we can communicate easier through media.

In my essay I discuss:
-Roland Barthes codes- semic code+ enigmatic code
-Levi Strauss- Binary opposition
-Todorov- Theory of equilibrium
-Laura Mulvey- male gaze theory
-Richard Dyer- star theory

Really the whole answer should be about how using these terms helped in your production i.e. using binary oppositions could create conventions familiar to my audience ect.

Happy revisings:P
Original post by IzzyWatkins
It's probably my least favourite too:/

Media language allows us to use familiar codes and conventions that are generally understood. Basically, it is a way we can communicate easier through media.

In my essay I discuss:
-Roland Barthes codes- semic code+ enigmatic code
-Levi Strauss- Binary opposition
-Todorov- Theory of equilibrium
-Laura Mulvey- male gaze theory
-Richard Dyer- star theory

Really the whole answer should be about how using these terms helped in your production i.e. using binary oppositions could create conventions familiar to my audience ect.

Happy revisings:P

Yeah, media language is how you (the producer) have created meaning using cinematography, editing, sound and mise-en-scene.

I've read past examples of the media language essay answers and the examiner seems to like it when the student acknowledges this, describing how they have created this meaning and obviously relating this to theories!

Crazy to think the exam is a week tomorrow as well :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending