The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup, I always cram and end up revising all night. :frown:
Reply 2
didi997
Yup, I always cram and end up revising all night. :frown:

Yesterday I was reading my notes about two minutes before science, then dropped them in the playground haha
Reply 3
lol cramming is largely my main source of GCSE knowledge :smile: got me through my Latin Prose =)
Reply 4
jbaldie
lol cramming is largely my main source of GCSE knowledge :smile: got me through my Latin Prose =)

hahaaha omg I was in exactly the same situation, I hate Pliny
Yeah it's been happening with me too.
If I'm honest, it really works too.

I revised R.S Philosophy the night before, got it all down in the exam, and like three weeks later today, I can't remember much about that part of the syllabus. Things tend to stick in my mind when I cram. Pressure can be stressful at times but it's proved beneficial for me when I've sat the exams I've done so far.

I don't advise it though lol!
Reply 6
I've only ever done it once.
It did work though. ;yes;
It's my own fault really... i wasn't organised enough, so was forced into cramming. ><
I've only done it with Science so far though. :smile:
Reply 7
I'm just looking over english now. I was cramming yesterday morning before Biology, it helped a lot. I got through about half the topics on the bitesize website with the tests.
Reply 8
Well I think its fair to say cramming is the least effective method for revising - and crammers only have theirselves to blame. In my opinion, you should give yourself as much preparation as possible as soon as you get the dates for your exams, in order to give yourself the best possible chance of achieving. But of course, some people fall into the trap of "I have plenty of time".

People were laughing at me because I was revising 3 months ago. They all kept telling me "don't worry, you got plenty of time". Well, it turns out the people who did say that to me are the ones who are suffering the most exam stress; I hear them saying "oh my god I'm gonna fail!". This one friend of mine was actually crying before the exam. But you see, I'm not going to cry or panic too much. I revised early, and as they say: "the early bird gets the morning worm" - that's right: I'm having the last laugh now.

You may argue that it's worked for you, but I think for the majority this method is a failure and I would not recommend it to anyone. I do however,
recommend you do some 'quick-fire' questions with your friends to quickly run over it before the exam - but this had better not be the only revision you have done! This method helped me on the ICT Long Course Paper 3 :biggrin:
Reply 9
Yeah the system is stupid.

It's just basically asking how well you can remember something for the day after.
It's not asking how intelligent you are or how you understand things - more like how good your memory is >: (. That's why some people "refuse" to revsie to show that they're intelligence can get them through. (they're stupid, it's not as if they're gonna have "they passed with intelligence, no revision!" next to their grades...)
Reply 10
Bexiness!
I've only ever done it once.
It did work though. ;yes;
It's my own fault really... i wasn't organised enough, so was forced into cramming. ><
I've only done it with Science so far though. :smile:

Worked so well for science for me, all the stuff I crammed came up but that was just a fluke haha
Reply 11
Nick91
Well I think its fair to say cramming is the least effective method for revising - and crammers only have theirselves to blame. In my opinion, you should give yourself as much preparation as possible as soon as you get the dates for your exams, in order to give yourself the best possible chance of achieving. But of course, some people fall into the trap of "I have plenty of time".

People were laughing at me because I was revising 3 months ago. They all kept telling me "don't worry, you got plenty of time". Well, it turns out the people who did say that to me are the ones who are suffering the most exam stress; I hear them saying "oh my god I'm gonna fail!". This one friend of mine was actually crying before the exam. But you see, I'm not going to cry or panic too much. I revised early, and as they say: "the early bird gets the morning worm" - that's right: I'm having the last laugh now.

You may argue that it's worked for you, but I think for the majority this method is a failure and I would not recommend it to anyone. I do however,
recommend you do some 'quick-fire' questions with your friends to quickly run over it before the exam - but this had better not be the only revision you have done! This method helped me on the ICT Long Course Paper 3 :biggrin:

I think you misunderstood... I haven't crammed out of choice but because our art exam required eight weeks preparation which for me took up a huge amount of my time. I won't say everyone, but a lot of people in my art class found the same thing. Cramming is stressful but does work OK, obviously not as good as if you've been revising for months and actually know it haha
Reply 12
yh i can only concentrate on one thing which usually means i have like a couple of hour to study for each one,nxt week will be better no exams on tues or thurs
Reply 13
I revised early, and as they say: "the early bird gets the morning worm" - that's right: I'm having the last laugh now.

Ah, but the second mouse gets the cheese :wink:

I also find cramming works for me, if I revise anything more than a few days before the exam I forget it anyway. The only subject I can revise early for is maths, because that's just extra practise with things I already have memorised.
Reply 14
Wilt - I think you need to review your method of revising. When I say "I revise", it doesn't mean I endlessly read revision books. No. I vary my technique. Sometimes I read it aloud, record it on to my mp3 player and then play it back. Sometimes I draw little funny cartoons to help me remember things. Sometimes I just condense the information into a few keywords.

The thing is, apparently you only remember 20% of what you read, 30% of what you hear, 40% of what you write , 50% of what you see and 60% of what you do. Now considering these statistics, the least memorable way to revise is raw reading.

I agree, alot of it is memory based but I think you do have to be intelligent to get a higher grade. Take the double science AQA paper on wednesday for example. There was question about Bromine and Propene I think. Yes, you can remember the structure of Propene, and you can remember what group Bromine comes under and its associated chemical properties - but no book is going to tell you how to do ALL the possible chemical equations. Like a maths revision book: it can tell you what tools there are and how to use them, but the exam in practise is testing how WELL you can use them.

People still make mistakes using the quadratic formula - even though its usually printed on the front of your exam paper.

So in conclusion, its NOT all about memory.

Piglette - I also take GCSE Art and I can empathise with you, but I think you got yourself into that situation because you didn't plan how much time you'd spend on each subject. In my opinion, Art is the LEAST important subject; how many jobs will ask you "What did you get for GCSE Art?" Of course, I love musical art because I play guitar. But that's not important. It won't make me become a physician, psychologist or ICT consultant.
Reply 15
I find Q revision the best way to go.

Just reminding yourself over and over...

No hassle and it works really well. D: Depends on the person though.
Reply 16
i either cram the few hours before or just don't do it altogether and pray :biggrin:
Reply 17
I don't want to be a physician, psychologist or ICT consultant though, my ideal career would be in creative advertising which requires a good base in art. Maybe art isn't important to you but you can't write it off for everyone else just because it doesn't fit into your own career plans.
Reply 18
lets be honest, i cram
when under pressure i seem to peform better
i only revised the biology exam night before and morning before and managed to learn it all
everyones different, i cannot learn things months and weeks before i like it in my head the night before and i remember it easily
Reply 19
I've done it for almost every subject so far... :s:

Latest