The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

How to deal with flatmates that just don't clean

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Buscemi-Bae
Ah so you're one of those selfish entitled buggers who just expect other innocent people to clean up after you and be a slave to you as you're too lazy and inconsiderate to do anything yourself. I understand perfectly.

I would rather have flatmates who would pull their weight and clean up their own messes than annoying entitled ***** who act like they're better than me

Why are you bumping a 3 year old thread?. They will have moved on by now.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Are they sensitive to humiliation?

Im in the exact same situation except my housemates are both 30 years old with ADHD and an unbelievable ability to deflect blame and ignore text messages about household issues. The housemate who's responsible for most of the mess and negligence happens to be someone who gets very flustered when her self image, character or behaviour is questioned - the woman cannot handle the narrative that she's causing a problem for people - so I've found that leaving notes around the house (
Original post by TanyaTable
I live with 3 other students, and every single one of them is too lazy to clean.
Tried speaking to them about it nicely, tried nagging when that failed. Tried implementing a rota, that's failed as they just ignore it.
Tried leaving things, unfortunately, they literally will not touch the kitchen, even when it stinks so bad it goes through the house. They moan, but refuse to clean because they know I can't survive in a house that stinks of rubbish for long.
I've tried speaking to the letting agency, who've spoken to them about it but they just ignore them. I'm literally at my wits end here, I can't carry on having to spend several hours of my life cleaning the entire house when I'm barely even in the house. Anyone got any ideas on how to jump start their lazy arses?

I can recommend the app "Flatastic" - it gamifies cleaning and makes sure it's fairly spread across everyone... most importantly, it reminds people if they haven't completed their assigned task :wink: Give it a go, we love it!

Quick Reply

Latest