The Student Room Group

Too ill for university exams

Last Tuesday I started having severe pain in my wisdom tooth and saw that my gum had detached from the side of my molar, leaving a gaping hole to the root.
I woke up Wednesday morning feeling extremely ill so I went to the dentist who told me that the tooth was impacted. He referred me to the dental hospital to have it removed (which may take three months).

By Saturday, the pain and feeling of being really ill had got a lot worse, so I returned to the dentist. He told me the wisdom tooth had now become infected and put me on some antibiotics and painkillers.
Since Saturday I have never felt more ill in my life. Constant headache, throwing up, sweating, being lightheaded and dizzy whenever I stand/walk that I end up tripping up, things feel very heavy (ie: doors), and sleeping a LOT.
I went back to the dentist today to be told that the infection had not cleared up, and may have spread to my ears and beyond. He's put me on some new antibiotics.

The only problem is, I have exams tomorrow, Saturday and Tuesday! I don't know if I can make it into the exams because I'm in so much agony and feel like I'm going to faint whenever I'm not in bed. I also missed my coursework deadline on Monday. I had the coursework done, but being so ill it was the last thing in my mind so I forgot and the submission link has now been removed.

What are my options? Am I ill enough by university standards to be able to sit the exams later on in the year? If so, should/can I get a letter from the dentist? Should I have gone to my GP instead? I read that they refuse to deal with dental problems. Should I go to my exams and fail them, or just not turn up?

Sorry for the long post, I don't know what to do and I don't want to get thrown out of university..
Reply 1
Original post by Revel
Last Tuesday I started having severe pain in my wisdom tooth and saw that my gum had detached from the side of my molar, leaving a gaping hole to the root.
I woke up Wednesday morning feeling extremely ill so I went to the dentist who told me that the tooth was impacted. He referred me to the dental hospital to have it removed (which may take three months).

By Saturday, the pain and feeling of being really ill had got a lot worse, so I returned to the dentist. He told me the wisdom tooth had now become infected and put me on some antibiotics and painkillers.
Since Saturday I have never felt more ill in my life. Constant headache, throwing up, sweating, being lightheaded and dizzy whenever I stand/walk that I end up tripping up, things feel very heavy (ie: doors), and sleeping a LOT.
I went back to the dentist today to be told that the infection had not cleared up, and may have spread to my ears and beyond. He's put me on some new antibiotics.

The only problem is, I have exams tomorrow, Saturday and Tuesday! I don't know if I can make it into the exams because I'm in so much agony and feel like I'm going to faint whenever I'm not in bed. I also missed my coursework deadline on Monday. I had the coursework done, but being so ill it was the last thing in my mind so I forgot and the submission link has now been removed.

What are my options? Am I ill enough by university standards to be able to sit the exams later on in the year? If so, should/can I get a letter from the dentist? Should I have gone to my GP instead? I read that they refuse to deal with dental problems. Should I go to my exams and fail them, or just not turn up?

Sorry for the long post, I don't know what to do and I don't want to get thrown out of university..

Hope i'm resoponding soon enough.

Call your uni and ask them what to do. Illness is a reason for things like extenuating circumstances. It would be best if you can call before your exam to say you can't go in (if you're that ill i suggest you stay atbhome and rest so you don't get worse), but you can still work it out afterwards.

You were right to go to the dentist. GPs can't deal with teeth or gum problems so would have just sent you to the dentist anyway. Now that the infection has spread you could call your gp to update them if you want, but your dentist should be able to deal with it. They will tell you if there is a point you would need to see a gp instead of him.

Stay home and get better. Worst comes to the worst you just re-take as if you took the exam and failed.
Good luck and hope you get better soon.
Reply 2
Original post by Revel

Not sure about the uni situation but honestly, cough up £300 and go private.

Quick Reply

Latest