The Student Room Group

Deferring A Levels (Gap year)

I've been ill for 3 months, such that I haven't been able to revise or really get out of the house. My school really hasn't been the best at supporting me during this time, and I've only had contact with them today that they may defer my A-Levels to next year. But I'm terrified. I've spent 2 years of my life studying for this; what if I forgot everything next year? What if exams next year are going to be harder? (because of 'advanced information' and lowered grade boundaries currently).

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? Either resitting or forced to defer their a levels? How did you do and how did you cope? I wont be able to sit in lessons etc. Only take the exams at my sixth form.

The university I want to go to accepted the deferral request, but I still need A*AA. I'm so scared.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
You can't 'defer' an offer - you canmot carry an offer over to next year if you dont take your A levels this year.
You will have to put in a fresh UCAS application next year.

It sounds like you are nowhere near ready o go to Uni - and thats okay.
Lots of people dont got to Uni until their 20s, 30s or much later. Stop putting oressure on yourself.
You need to take some time out and then re-approach A levels or do something like an Access to HE course - *when* you are ready.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
You can't 'defer' an offer - you canmot carry an offer over to next year if you dont take your A levels this year.
You will have to put in a fresh UCAS application next year.

It sounds like you are nowhere near ready o go to Uni - and thats okay.
Lots of people dont got to Uni until their 20s, 30s or much later. Stop putting oressure on yourself.
You need to take some time out and then re-approach A levels or do something like an Access to HE course - *when* you are ready.

Luckily my uni have said they will defer my place, I do need to submit another application but they will accept it without another interview/tests etc.

My school have got back to me and have pulled me put of A Levels this year, I'll be doing them next year. At first I was really distressed about this, but I've realised its the right call. As you said, I need more time.

Thank you
Original post by Wombatcom
I've been ill for 3 months, such that I haven't been able to revise or really get out of the house. My school really hasn't been the best at supporting me during this time, and I've only had contact with them today that they may defer my A-Levels to next year. But I'm terrified. I've spent 2 years of my life studying for this; what if I forgot everything next year? What if exams next year are going to be harder? (because of 'advanced information' and lowered grade boundaries currently).

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? Either resitting or forced to defer their a levels? How did you do and how did you cope? I wont be able to sit in lessons etc. Only take the exams at my sixth form.

The university I want to go to accepted the deferral request, but I still need A*AA. I'm so scared.

Luckily my uni have said they will defer my place, I do need to submit another application but they will accept it without another interview/tests etc.

My school have got back to me and have pulled me put of A Levels this year, I'll be doing them next year. At first I was really distressed about this, but I've realised its the right call. As you said, I need more time.

Thank you

If your Uni has deferred your offer, there's no need to worry. Yes you may not enjoy the benefits of the advanced info and lower grade boundaries but realise everyone else will be in the same boat. Also it gives you plenty of time to relax after the troubles with your illness. You can focus on getting the grades required for next year. Btw just a quick question - If your uni has deferred our offer, will you be reapplying for different unis in the next UCAS cycle or are you solely going to focus on getting grades needed for your deferred place?
Original post by dh33r4j_d
If your Uni has deferred your offer

They haven't deferred the offer - because they can't carry an unfulfilled offer over to another year's cycle - they have told the OP to reapply next year. Not quite the same thing.
Oh right sorry, misunderstood the context. But then if they've told the OP that they do not have to do any tests/admissions , I would say there's no reason to worry and they can just try again next year to focus on getting the grades.
Original post by McGinger
They haven't deferred the offer - because they can't carry an unfulfilled offer over to another year's cycle - they have told the OP to reapply next year. Not quite the same thing.
Reply 7
Original post by dh33r4j_d
If your Uni has deferred your offer, there's no need to worry. Yes you may not enjoy the benefits of the advanced info and lower grade boundaries but realise everyone else will be in the same boat. Also it gives you plenty of time to relax after the troubles with your illness. You can focus on getting the grades required for next year. Btw just a quick question - If your uni has deferred our offer, will you be reapplying for different unis in the next UCAS cycle or are you solely going to focus on getting grades needed for your deferred place?

Thank you. I first wrote the post out of desperation. I was in a right state :/ But not everything is as hopeless. And I understand that now. This gives me time to get better and also be better prepared for uni. And I think I will apply to some of the same universities, but also some different ones with lower grades (I didn't predict I'd become so ill, so the universities I applied to all had high required grades - now I know better!)

Thank you again :smile:
Thank you. I first wrote the post out of desperation. I was in a right state :/ But not everything is as hopeless. And I understand that now. This gives me time to get better and also be better prepared for uni. And I think I will apply to some of the same universities, but also some different ones with lower grades (I didn't predict I'd become so ill, so the universities I applied to all had high required grades - now I know better!)

Thank you again :smile:
hi not sure if you are active here however im planning on deferring my alevels too because my mental health has been absolutely awful this year, i was just wondering if the same unis you applied to accepted you this year? im extremely scared unis won’t look at my application favourably because im having an extra year to complete them

Quick Reply

Latest