The Student Room Group

Starting university at 24/25?

Hi! I'll be turning 24 this year and would probably start university next year in January for a foundation programme leading to BA Archaeology (Hons.) at either Sheffield, Liverpool or Leicester and I'll be turning 25 one month after semester starts in September.

The reason for my late entry is due to mandatory military service for 2 years in my country and I'd like to ask if there's any ex-military students around here, irregardless of nationality. How did you adjust to student life at university, partly since most of your fellow students would be much younger?
(edited 7 years ago)
There are lots of mature students in British universities, you certainly won't be alone. 25 isn't even that old, most people probably won't notice you're older unless you tell them.
Can't help on the military adjustment thing, but I agree with people not realising about age. I'm 24 (turning 25 in 2 weeks) and everyone just thinks I'm 18 or 19 like all the other freshers. They keep trying to impart wisdom because they're 20/21 and I'm like "you do realise I'm older than you right?" or I talk about my past jobs and watch them be confused and then try to work out my age haha.
Reply 3
How can one fit in with younger students then?
Reply 4
Started 2 days before my 26th birthday.....No issues.
I have a bit of a babyface though.
I'am 20 my group of friends is made up of 5 guys and 2 girls. Our ages rage from 18 to 27. The guy whose the oldest likes to hangout with me the most because because I understand him like that, the youngest (18) is the same as me in terms of maturity, and theres a 19 year old guy whose immature as hell sometimes I wanna break he's head. All in all the oldest guy doesnt have any problems relating to everyone at school

The only problem he faces is within himself; he isolates himself too much. He doesnt want to do anything. By anything I mean after lecturers he takes off. Doesnt chill with us, NOTHING!

You wi find someone in your class whose in around your age but dont dismiss anyone whose not around your age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi mate, I am ex military and also started when I was 25 and i'm now one year down three to go as i had to do a foundation year first. I wouldn't worry about the age too much, it would obviously be nice to be around people with similar life experience etc but you will be fine. there were people much older than me on my course and a few around my age.
(edited 7 years ago)
wasn't in military but I'll be 25 a month after I start in Sept if I get a place xD I'm worried about fitting in as well but guess we just gotta take it as it is and go on from there :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending