The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Dilemma OT

I am hopefully going to Sheffield Hallam in September to do Occupational therapy but i am unsure whether to commute or live in accommodation as i live about 10 miles from the city centre so it would only be a bus ride each day. I don't want to miss out on the whole uni experience however i am just worried about taking on the extra loan. Has any one else in the same situation or have any views?
Personal choice. 10 miles isnt so bad. You can still stay out pretty late, although cant see you driving home. If you arent going to be in halls that take the opportunity to engage with people and join societies. Its not impossible and if money is tight.....

You could always try Halls first year and then live at home 2 and 3.

Alternatively live at home first year, make an effort to make friends before it cliques up and then consider in year 2 whether you are missing out. Its the making an effort to make friends thats the key whether you stay at home or not, thats what the people posting here with no one to move out with in the 2nd year seem to have missed out on.

If money is tight id probably go for the second option and borrow the money anyway, since it will be a long time before you pay it back.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by paiges140
I am hopefully going to Sheffield Hallam in September to do Occupational therapy but i am unsure whether to commute or live in accommodation as i live about 10 miles from the city centre so it would only be a bus ride each day. I don't want to miss out on the whole uni experience however i am just worried about taking on the extra loan. Has any one else in the same situation or have any views?

We'd agree with 999tigger! It is a difficult choice to make when starting university. Living in halls will give you a great experience of independent life and you'll meet lots of people in the same building, but it's not completely necessary. I know lots of people who didn't move into halls in first year and they still made lots of friends with people on their course and when you go out, you meet friends of friends and just build a network of people. You can still experience a great student life without missing out, if you live at home. Just make sure to make the most out of your time at university, join a society or sports club, sign up to trips away with the union and organise socials with your course. It shouldn't take away too much from your experience and as 999tigger said, there's always the opportunity to move in with friends in second and third year.

Go with your instinct and if you then feel doubtful, there's always ways to be involved in things going on in Sheffield.

If you've got any more questions, just shout :smile:

Laura
(Official Hallam rep and former Hallam student)
Reply 3
Thank you so much for replying. I think i am going to try living at home for first year and see how i go. Is any one else starting OT at Hallam in September?
Original post by paiges140

Hello there!!

Just thought Id say hi as I am 3rd year OT student! If you have any questions about the course or whatever just get in touch! It is a great course at Hallam - I have loved the placements and lectures, especially the ones based on the brain and neurological conditions!

Good luck!!! :h::h:

Maya Rafferty
(Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending