The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sweet, a postgrad mash up!
The Boosh
exactly how would a brand name improve a phd?

Lol.
Reply 22
lorrybeep
Not that I care but you're acting like a woman. Dont bother reply if you think my questions are disturbing. :rolleyes:

That's actually reeeeally offensive. I feel so insulted :rolleyes:
Reply 23
Personally, I would only go for a GUCCI PhD. Any others are sooo not brill.
glasgow
Reply 25
Dirac Delta Function
Well I'm not a quant (my IB experience was in M&A), but I think that the level of maths required for quant roles would be approximately Masters level at a respectable uni.

The implication being that a Masters in maths at a less 'respectable' uni is easier?
lorrybeep
What's your problem? Geez, since when do people get criticised for asking questions here and yout think you are going to be a lecturer?

If the question is constantly rephrased and repeated then it becomes an annoyance.

You dont expect every employer to understand how PhDs are graded. Employers being not only universities but only those in other sectors.

I would expect any employer who requires PhD graduates to know exactly what a PhD is and how it is assessed ('graded' is entirely the wrong word to use). If they do not then they don't need PhD graduates.

You're doing PhD arent you? I don't think there's a point of you doing it if you dont first learn how to control your EQ first and to give a fair judgement. Don't see a point of wasting your time and money cause you won't earn respects. Giving a bad rep to someone who simply asks questions is just wrong. The worse thing was you didnt even know why you gave a bad rep. Not that I care but you're acting like a woman. Dont bother reply if you think my questions are disturbing. :rolleyes:

Like I said before you have asked this question in various guises and you seem to only want to know about answers that say that prestige is important despite this not being the case. Also I wouldn't bother insulting people you don't know.
Reply 27
I guess IBs have to sell their employees to relatively ignorant clients and brand name can give clients confidence. Thus it is a matter of perceived quality rather than actual quality.
yeung3939
I guess IBs have to sell their employees to relatively ignorant clients and brand name can give clients confidence. Thus it is a matter of perceived quality rather than actual quality.

I guess so, but that is really quite a poor excuse. If people are ignorant of these things then what are they doing in this business? If you need high level mathematical modelling for your investments then you should know at least enough to give a decent appraisal of who you are dealing with. It seems to me that most investors only care about getting the best return so why should an IB firm feel the need to tell people that it's quants all have degrees from a certain institution? Surely reassuring them that they have people with top expertise in the area should suffice?
Reply 29
I guess many clients don't know what exactly 'expertise', 'Phd' and 'mathematic models' mean. They generally think brand name = intelligence = more likely to get good return, so for IBs brand name is important.

Just wild guess.
yeung3939
I guess many clients don't know what exactly 'expertise', 'Phd' and 'mathematic models' mean. They generally think brand name = intelligence = more likely to get good return, so for IBs brand name is important.

That sounds incredibly ignorant I would expect more of people who are doing high level investments. Personally I think it is all down to prejudice and elitism within the industry itself rather than pandering to clients, after all this is the reason for almost all discrimination in all sectors.
cheers cb, glad to seem i'm not the only one that's noticed the new postgrad prestige chaser.

"Racist, Sexist, talking down to people for asking questions, taking things too personal on this forum, patronizing" was an interesting rep, after being accused of 'acting like a girl'
Gwai
The implication being that a Masters in maths at a less 'respectable' uni is easier?

Usually, but it depends on the department. Sometimes you get strong departments in mediocre unis, and v. v.
The Boosh
cheers cb, glad to seem i'm not the only one that's noticed the new postgrad prestige chaser.

"Racist, Sexist, talking down to people for asking questions, taking things too personal on this forum, patronizing" was an interesting rep, after being accused of 'acting like a girl'

Sadly this is the effect of increasing numbers in higher education - people who shouldn't be doing PhDs doing them.

Latest

Trending

Trending