The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I did struggle to get a job in IT after I graduated last year studying Maths. I didn't have any relevant work experience and took a coding bootcamp course after which I landed a job as a software engineer at a big bank.
Original post by Pickles
This is a general discussion board for those looking for a graduate job in IT and technology?

Did you struggle to get a graduate job in IT and technology?

Are you still looking for a graduate job in IT?

Share stories or ask questions below!

I did. I did it by moving away from the country and towards the city. I live just outside the city and commute in to keep costs down. There is no work for a software dev near my hometown, so I bought a flat with my left over student maintainence once I knew I had the job. I moved in on the Saturday/Sunday and started work he Monday. First week I was tired to the bone, but after a while life returned to normality:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Now graduated 3 years but still keep in close touch with my old Uni - Edinburgh Napier.

During my degree I spend a great deal of time volunteering and actively participating in employability related schemes. Anything to try and give me an edge after graduation. Qualifications are great but enmployers are looking for industry experience.

I went along to a few interviews and never got asked one question about my degree. They were however, interested in the various work based activities I had done.

I also clocked up a few online courses to show I was keen on learning beyond Uni.

I appreciate not everyone (for whatever reason can do this).

Advice I would give anyone after graduation is that your dream job will more than likely not be waiting for you right away, so don't take a blinkered approach.

Don't be afraid to start at the bottom. Get in some where and show them what you can do!

Good luck everyone!
Reply 43
This place has a lot of IT jobs that are advertised for smaller and bigger companies: https://www.grb.uk.com/sbm/15270
During my college years, I failed (scraped) my BTEC in Business and IT many years ago and thought I was a failure.

I ended up with gap year working low end roles until I got a place to do Business Info Tech degree through UCAS Clearing, I ended up doing the degree and completing it at my own pace with placement year and gotten involved with the Students Unions. My placement year was 2nd line IT support role at my uni and gave me an edge. I ended up with 2.2, had graduate level roles but due to the wall I hit and personal circumstances I decided to pursue masters degree in IT management and gotten IT system administrator role towards the end of the course.

Still finishing off my masters and hope to start the graduate role, I did take bit of a risk doing a masters but it paid off in the end. Even getting some experiences in IT will put you ahead if you managed to get the experiences before finishing. All the best to everyone.
I did a degree in psychology, but converted and did a MSc Computing ( still haven't finished my dissertation). I recently secured a position as a trainee software developer. It's £16k a year which is perfect.
They basically said they were looking for someone with an academic mindset and who's basically going to work hard. Seems generic. The fact that I've got 4 years of continuous work experience since I did my first degree, the fact that I'm older than most candidates (27) , and generally that I gave the impression that I'm someone who's grafted and worked my whole life for what I have. I also run my own events promotion company which impressed them. I invested my life savings into this MSc and it's paid off.

Those were my selling points and I made them clear. You guys have to think of your selling points. Why would they hire you? Study the job description carefully and provide examples of each behavioural trait they're looking for. Or even ring and ask them directly!

Good luck

Latest

Trending

Trending