The Student Room Group

Break form everything

Hi,
I am new to this platform, but after surfing through some of the topics mentioned here I think it's a great place to share my story and some of my thoughts about my gap year and maybe discuss some of the things about it. In 2023 I finished my high school and took my final exams (I am from Poland, final exam in Polish is called matura and is taken week after graduation), I was truly hoping to get into university to study biotechnology, but I was lacking few points from getting in there, at the very same time my girlfriend broke up with me, but it is a completely different story. Anyway, my whole vacations were a struggle, I was fighting to get back together with my ex, lost contact with a lot of my high school friends (I never were close with them and I have a coping mechanism of isolating my self especially when I am feeling sad, also my ex was my high school colleague as well, so I've decided to cut of my self from anyone connected to her), I did not get into uni I really wanted to, and although I was planning it I did not get my driving license. In october academical year started, I went to university of technology to study biomedical engineering (which at the time I thought was the closes major to biotechnology). I was really hoping that all of my struggles I've gone through, are far behind and from now on my life will just be better. After a week or so, I met a girl, I was doing quite good, but everything was meaningless. This girl for example, I really liked her, but deep inside of me I felt like this is not it, like this is not what I want. After another two weeks went by, I've decided to drop out. It was a very quick decision and I did not really thought much about what next, but deep inside of me I knew this was the greatest thing I could come up with at that time. Yeah, few months went by, I change my approach towards many things, especially about my work ethic and how not only do I want to be seen, but also how I want to be. I got a job where I worked for a month, I learned how to play piano and guitar, I uninstalled TikTok and next week I am flying to my father who lives in Sweden for 3 months. I am also studying a lot to retake matura exam, and I am hoping to get into med school. Although I am very happy for my self and for the decision I made, I feel extremely lonely, anxious about what next, and I am constantly comparing my self to others.

I hope 2024 will be the best year of my life and all of those thoughts are only temporary, but I wanted to ask if there are other people who felt similar or who went through something like this?

Quick Reply

Latest