The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
:O i got 11. something
Reply 21
Princess
What did you all put for the uses of alpha, beta and gamma?

Alpha = Smoke alarm
Beta = Tracers
Gamma = Treating cancer
Reply 22
What did you all put for the existence of life on other planets one? Put me out of my worry please.
Reply 23
S a n d h u
Alpha = Smoke alarm
Beta = Tracers
Gamma = Treating cancer

O.o I put exactly the same. :biggrin:
Reply 24
S a n d h u
What did you all put for the existence of life on other planets one? Put me out of my worry please.

Oxygen
Suitable pressure
Liquid water
Suitable temperature
An atmosphere

I explained each one after I stated it.
Reply 25
Princess
Oxygen
Suitable pressure
Liquid water
Suitable temperature
An atmosphere

I explained each one after I stated it.

I did all of them except pressure :redface: Thanks :smile:
Reply 26
:smile:

I don't think I did myself any favours on that star question. :/
Reply 27
The star one was good, all you had to do was recall the sequence. Did you write that the star spends most of its life as a main sequence star?
Reply 28
S a n d h u
The star one was good, all you had to do was recall the sequence. Did you write that the star spends most of its life as a main sequence star?

Well yeah, but I didn't actually use the name 'main sequence star' (you just reminded me what it was)... I just said the main stage. :redface:

Stupid Physics.

Did you write about how the mass depends on whether it becomes a black hole or a white dwarf? I mentioned those, and I mentioned the interstellar gas clouds earlier on, but I forgot to mention the thermonuclear fusion and the neutron star and planetary nebula. ):
Reply 29
Yep I did :biggrin: For the beginning of the star I mentioned hydrogen collapsing and thermonuclear fusion and the proto star.

I the end I said "The stars fate is dependant on its mass. If it was a heavyweight start supernova takes place and it becomes a neutron star or a blackhole. If it was a medium weight star planetary nebula takes place and it becomes a white dwarf."
Reply 30
The microwave one was a bitch :frown: Fairly simple but I couldn't really remember lol.
Reply 31
Oop. I've written nothing of the sort. :redface: Oh well, I'd settle for 2 marks on the star question.

I got the microwave question, but I was a taad confused about why they would have to leave it for a couple of minutes before eating; so I mentioned 2 points for that, in case one of them's wrong.

EDIT: Did you mention the microwaves penetrating the surface a few mm and then being conducted to the centre of the food via the water particles for why it heats up quickly? It better be right. :s-smilie:
Reply 32
Princess
Oop. I've written nothing of the sort. :redface: Oh well, I'd settle for 2 marks on the star question.

I got the microwave question, but I was a taad confused about why they would have to leave it for a couple of minutes before eating; so I mentioned 2 points for that, in case one of them's wrong.

EDIT: Did you mention the microwaves penetrating the surface a few mm and then being conducted to the centre of the food via the water particles for why it heats up quickly? It better be right. :s-smilie:

I wrote they have to leave it 2 mins so the heat can circulate the food properly. And yep that exactly what I wrote for your edit, thats also why the dry toast didnt cook in it. :smile:
Physics is my strongest science, but a whole week of exams finally got to me and I miscalculated on the questions about the stairs.

*sigh* I hope the other 63 marks are right.
i thought it was easy compared to what i expected lol.

i did get caught out on the uses of alpha and beta :s but got the same answers as yous for the other qs mentioned :smile:

x
Reply 35
Yeah i agree with Sonic
I was just tired an Exam almost everyday the past two weeks got to me
I couldn't even botherd to revise - well thats life eh
Reply 36
Venom123
Yeah i agree with Sonic
I was just tired an Exam almost everyday the past two weeks got to me
I couldn't even botherd to revise - well thats life eh

Same here man. I just crammed a day before, I'm thankful it was am easier test.
Reply 37
Lol I crammed so much, I actually couldn't be bothered towards the end.
Was a good paper, HATED the stupid star question though.
Reply 38
I'm actually quite happy with how the exam went. I did the last question first, the basic structure I used was:

* Instellar gas clouds that are inbetween stars are pulled together by gravity to form a proto-star.
* Kinetic energy is converted to thermal energy through the movement of the particles.
*As the temperature increases, thermonuclear fusion occurs and hydrogen is converted into helium.
* When the supply of hydrogen runs out the star begins to expand and forms a red giant.
* The next stage is dependent on the mass, if it is a main sequence star, like our sun, it will form planetary nebula. The outer gas clouds will float away leaving the core to contract and cool, until it finally becomes a white dwarf.
* If the mass is great then the star will explode into a supernova and ultimately form either a black hole or a pulsar.

I think you had to do four calculations in the exam:

1.) The one about which light was the brightest. I got 0.05 Amps for the missing value and put down 4 as the brightest for two different reasons. The first being that it had the most current and secondly because it had the least resistance.

2.) I think this was the one about that girl going up the stairs (did anyone observe that she actually looked like a man? :smile:)

I used:

W = F x s (distance)

600N x 60m = 3600 J.

That was one of the only ones I wasn't sure of, what did everyone else get?

3.) The cars. This was pretty basic but for the final answer I got 13.8 after rounding it.

4.) The charge one?

I can't remember the exact figures, but I know I got 500A.

Radiation question = 11 marks! That's a sixth of the paper and the questions on it were really short and simple :biggrin:
Madigan

4.) The charge one?

I can't remember the exact figures, but I know I got 500A.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but im afraid thats the wrong answer. i did the same mistake, only realised until after the exam :mad: For this charge question it said "8 minutes" so u had 2 convert it into seconds making it 480. and the answer that u should have had was something along the lines of 8.3A. But hopefully you'll get at least 1 or 2 marks outa the 3 for ur formula and stuff :smile:

oh yeh and what did u lot get 4 the ideas and evidence in science questions. the one about using the sun, wind and moving sea as electricity and the one about galileo with the moving stars

Latest