The Student Room Group

The official approaches ideas/help/revision topic.

As its pretty hard to revise approaches, I think this could be a real help to everyone. I dont know what you all think of the idea though lol. basically, you should just post any idea that they could possibly come up with (doesn't have to have been on a past paper), and name an approach and the way it would be measured (dont need to bother with citicisms of the approach of methodolgy, leave that to everyone else to revise lol). This will hopefully give people a good idea about how to answer any question that comes up.

For example, one off of the top of my head:

(This has actually come up in the exam before quite a bit.)
Any activity involving high risk that people enjoy (eg. parachuting, driving fast cars, mountain climbing etc.). Can be explained by biological approach in terms of hormone levels, neurotansmitters etc. Body gets ready for 'fight or flight' and some people find this enjoyable. (obviously not 6 marks, but you get the idea)

hard to test these in an experimental environment, so you could use a virtual relaity simulator for the activity (i'd have never have thought of this but it is mentioned in an example answer in my textbook book). attach things like sweat receptors, heart rate monitors to them, and measure how they differ in someone who is in a control condition (seeing a not very exciting simulation) and the experiemental condition (driving fast).

feel free to post any approach suggestions you have.
Reply 1
This section is easy if you know the approaches, and you can bull**** a page of what would normally take a paragraph.

I love the psychodynamic approach. You can make up so much stuff relating to experiences you think could have happened during their childhood, and say that these caused conflicts with the ID, ego and superego, and that's why the person's doing x.
Reply 2
I too love the psychodynamic approach. Also fond of the biological one because I know half the drugs (my mother's a dispenser in a pharmacy) and I'm familiar with ECT and psychosurgery anyway. Bit of a nerd, I know. :colondollar:
part c is the easiest! same answer every time
Reply 4
Err.. not if you apply it to the stimulus properly. Kind of the same though.
Reply 5
i actually find this section pretty hard. I can never see the links between current behaviour and like psychodynamic personality. Can you give some some tips on what to look out for? (like what a general behaviour means in a psychodynamic way?) I think one of the past paper questions is why do people like to give money away to charity? how does psychodynamic explain that?
Reply 6
As I've seen from loads of model answers, you can make up fictional events that you think could have triggered these behaviours in people.

If it's a woman you're writing about, they have penis envy

If it's a man, they were sexually attracted to their mother, but afraid of their father, and that's why they act like they do.
Reply 7
The ego (which mediates impulses) has not developed properly so this is why such and such acts like this...

Childhood experiences
Oedipus complex..

Theres loads you can blag. Same with behavioural
Reply 8
if people would like i can post up some of my previous approaches answers, most have scored at least 5/6. will do that either tomorrow or Monday. They all tend to contain similar set phrases that show what the examiners want to see when they mark an answer.
Reply 9
that would be a massive help BFH. god, you seem to be doing me a lot of favours lol.
Reply 10
u know for the biological its made up of the physiological, medical do you have to explain the stimulus material with all of them or just one

Latest

Trending

Trending