The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Official imperial college london 2017 applicants

Scroll to see replies

My son has received a notification that he has a conditional offer for Mathematics and Computer Science - finally! Very pleased :smile:

He's a US (California) applicant, but is a British citizen. He applied on the 20th September, had an in-person interview (I took him to the UK to tour universities) on the 15th December and the online test on the 13th January.

Good luck to those waiting - it looks like the computing department is giving out more offers now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by RogerOxon
My son has received a notification that he has a condition offer for Mathematics and Computer Science - finally! Very pleased :smile:

He's a US (California) applicant, but is a British citizen. He applied on the 20th September, had an in-person interview (I took him to the UK to tour universities) on the 15th December and the online test on the 13th January.

Good luck to those waiting - it looks like the computing department is giving out more offers now.

Hello RogerOxon, congratulations on your son's offer! Around what time did he hear about is offer? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spark99
Hello RogerOxon, congratulations on your son's offer! Around what time did he hear about is offer? :smile:

Thanks. The email was at 1255.
Original post by davozgenius
Aeronautical Rocket scientist:biggrin: , What did you apply to?
And what subjects do you do( ur grades) And What is your offer

I applied for EIE. Currently doing Maths, F.Maths and Physics. As for my AS grades... I'll tell you if we ever happen to meet at Imperial :tongue: My offer's A*AA.
What about you? Also, did you mean you applied to Aeronautical Engineering?
Original post by danielhx
Hi I applied to study maths at imperial college in october and have not heard back since. I got rejected from Oxford but found out that my MAT score was 70/100 which i feel is pretty decent. i have 4A*s and a grade 1 in STEP 1 so i was just wondering is this good enough for imperial college? I applied for a one year deferment so is that maybe the reason why they haven't gotten back to me? When will the next batch of offers come out. i'm really worried that i'll get rejected because many people have already received offers.

I don't understand how anyone could get rejected with 4 A*'s and 1 in step already achieved. That's much much more than their offer conditions.
For any MEng Chemical Engineering offer holders, how long did it take to hear back after an interview?
Original post by Student1256
I don't understand how anyone could get rejected with 4 A*'s and 1 in step already achieved. That's much much more than their offer conditions.

Oxford do their own assessment with the MAT and interviews. They are looking for academic ability and potential. There is obviously a lot of competition, so, even very able candidates may not get a place.

A MAT score of 70 would look to indicate a >80% chance of an interview, but only ~30% chance of an offer. The official feedback shows the distribution of MAT scores and outcomes. (Mathematics and Computer Science had a big rise in the number of applicants, but not the number of places)
Oxford do their own assessment with the MAT and interviews. They are looking for academic ability and potential. There is obviously a lot of competition, so, even very able candidates may not get a place.

A MAT score of 70 would look to indicate a >80% chance of an interview, but only ~30% chance of an offer. The official feedback shows the distribution of MAT scores and outcomes. (Mathematics and Computer Science had a big rise in the number of applicants, but not the number of places)

With such high grades and a 1 in step (which is more difficult than MAT) an offer should be almost guaranteed even with a par mat performance, and about 70 is the average successful applicant score over the years.
With such high grades and a 1 in step (which is more difficult than MAT) an offer should be almost guaranteed

I'd be very disappointed not getting an offer with those qualification, but it is not guaranteed.
even with a par mat performance, and about 70 is the average successful applicant score over the years.

True, but even very high MAT scores do not guarantee an offer. This year, a score of 81-85 only saw a ~50% chance of an offer. The competition is brutal.

At a MAT score of ~70, you've got about a one in three chance of an offer, with some Maths-based courses being more competitive than that.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd be very disappointed not getting an offer with those qualification, but it is not guaranteed.

True, but even very high MAT scores do not guarantee an offer. This year, a score of 81-85 only saw a ~50% chance of an offer. The competition is brutal.

At a MAT score of ~70, you've got about a one in three chance of an offer, with some Maths-based courses being more competitive than that.

I sat the NSAA and it was the kind of exam you can't even guarantee yourself 50% marks. What kind of exams are the MAT, PAT etc? I reckon if you had enough practise you could pull a 90% without much luck involved, what do you think?
I sat the NSAA and it was the kind of exam you can't even guarantee yourself 50% marks. What kind of exams are the MAT, PAT etc? I reckon if you had enough practise you could pull a 90% without much luck involved, what do you think?

The MAT is designed to make you think. They try to give questions that you will never have seen before, albeit difficult. Past papers can be found here.
Reply 1591
Original post by spark99
Has anyone who interviewed on Feb. 1 heard back (except for Biochem people)?

Why have you written "except for Biochem people"? I apply for biochemistry course. Still silence. That's why I want to know what did you mean by that...)
Reply 1592
Original post by theambiguity
Got an offer for Biochemistry yesterday (AAA). Completely unexpected haha.

Congratulations!!!
Does anyone know how important the interview is for chemistry??
Got an offer for Maths, they want 3 A*s +Grade 2 in STEP 2 or 3, while my mate who applied for the same course at the same time, and also didn't do MAT, got offered 2A*s and an A + Grade 2 in STEP 2 OR 3. Is being offered 3 A*s normal?
Original post by chiddy1999
Got an offer for Maths, they want 3 A*s +Grade 2 in STEP 2 or 3, while my mate who applied for the same course at the same time, and also didn't do MAT, got offered 2A*s and an A + Grade 2 in STEP 2 OR 3. Is being offered 3 A*s normal?

I believe they might have given you the offer because of a borderline case. Does your friend have Olympiad experience?

Congratulations on getting an offer. I don't know what is 'normal', but I doubt that they'd give an offer that they didn't think you can achieve. One grade difference between offers doesn't seem like much. Good luck!
Original post by yl95
I believe they might have given you the offer because of a borderline case. Does your friend have Olympiad experience?

Nah, we both have the same credentials, only I got better GCSEs. Not really sure why this happened
Nah, we both have the same credentials, only I got better GCSEs. Not really sure why this happened

Are you and him taking the same A Levels?
Original post by yl95
Are you and him taking the same A Levels?

Yeah same a levels, same predicted grades, pretty much everything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending