The Student Room Group

Student loan appeal

This past year I moved countries to pursue an education in my mother's home country it was and still is a difficult period for me . For background, ( My parents were separated when I was about 3 years old and lived in different countries my mother is British and my dad is Nigerian fast forward to 2002 and my mother died when I was 5, after she died I lived with an uncle till i finished my primary school education but had to move to a different country (Nigeria) because he could no longer support me I then went to secondary school there for 6 years graduated in 2014 been in England since 2015 got a job applied to get into university for a Mechanical Engineering degree and got in. The only problem is student loans, I am considered not eligible as you had to have been living in the UK for 5 years to qualify for the government student loan. I still applied regardless then got rejected thankfully the student loans company (SLC) has an appeals department I have put forward a formal appeal explaining my situation with proof i attended primary school here and the decision to to move was not mine (I had no choice in the matter) and i'm meant to hear back from them on or before the 12th of June. I am not sure what to expect and i have no idea what to do if my appeal is denied, this has been hanging over my head for the past few months at this point its all I can think about if anyone can give me some insight as to how I can draw up a "plan B" I will be immensely grateful.
I m afraid the 5 years has to be the past 5 years so it's unlikely your appeal will be successful. You might want to look into whether you can finance it privately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending