The Student Room Group

REALLY really bad periods - I keep passing out!

Don't mean to make anyone squeamish just would like some advice or reassurance.

So for the past year my periods have been horrendous. At the start, they were regular and really light (back when I was 12) but over the past year, they have been so irregular and heavy I don't know what to do.

I pass out at least twice every time I come on my period. It's gotten to the point where the college would force me to go home because I'm too ill to be in lessons. This is not good. I'm missing out on important work because of this awful nightmare. I know what you're most likely thinking. I'm a bit of a weakling. But honestly, if I could just get through the day without it showing; I would.

Last night I passed out again. Then when I was getting changed for bed, I noticed a weird discolouration all over my abdomen. It looked like veins. And I was having and are still having the worst cramps ever.

I can't afford to be sent home from college anymore. If anyone could offer any advice or wisdom I would be so grateful!
Visit a doctor. It doesn't sound normal at all.

Also, I doubt you'd receive any suitable advice from a TSR user.
See a doctor.
Most girls have minor period problems, but that sounds quite concerning, my best advice would be to see the doc.
Hope you get better. :smile:
Sounds bloody awful!
Reply 4
Original post by undercxver
Visit a doctor. It doesn't sound normal at all.

Also, I doubt you'd receive any suitable advice from a TSR user.

I'll hate it but it seems like the best thing!

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous

So for the past year my periods have been horrendous. At the start, they were regular and really light (back when I was 12) but over the past year, they have been so irregular and heavy I don't know what to do.

I pass out at least twice every time I come on my period. It's gotten to the point where the college would force me to go home because I'm too ill to be in lessons. This is not good. I'm missing out on important work because of this awful nightmare. I know what you're most likely thinking. I'm a bit of a weakling. But honestly, if I could just get through the day without it showing; I would.

Last night I passed out again. Then when I was getting changed for bed, I noticed a weird discolouration all over my abdomen. It looked like veins. And I was having and are still having the worst cramps ever.

I can't afford to be sent home from college anymore. If anyone could offer any advice or wisdom I would be so grateful!

I would definitely go to see your doctor. Have you been taking any tablets or medicines to cope with period pain. I myself suffer from extremely heavy periods and it used to affect me so much and make me feel anxious but taking ibuprofen really helps!x
Similar to my daughter.
You may need to go on hormonal contraception to regulate them.
Your doctor should work with you to find a suitable one (Think daughter is on her 4th type now)
Also he should be able to prescribe more effective pain killers.
You may need a blood test to check if you're anaemic too
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous

Doctor. Preferably asap.

There are various conditions related to periods some of which are to do with your reproductive area and some of which are to do with the surrounding area (gets triggered with periods). There are a lot of potential causes of varying severity and a gynocologist (via referal from your doctor) is probably your best option. I don't know what would be the most likely cause and even if I did I think telling you possibilities would just make you unnessaceraly worried before you see a doctor.

Passing out is never a good thing and discoloration is not a good sign either. Both are things you should really see a doctor about as soon as you notice them although I can see why you wouldn't. I'm not sure how old you are but if you're passing out avoid anything like driving, operating machienes, riding bikes etc (basically anything where you could hurt yourself from falling or stopping controlling it). If you are having a period now I would try to see a doctor before it ends (if you say you are passing out they will probably give you a sooner appointment) and if not just try to get one soon.

Think of things like when it started, if you have any other symptoms either on or off your period (is it painful, do you get an upset stomach too, does anywhere else hurt, do you ever get these symptoms off your period?), if anything helps, how often/ long it occurs etc. It usually helps me to write things down so I don't forget. Also write down any questions that you want to ask like potetial treatments, if it could affect your fertility etc.

It may help you to have somebody with you eiher waiting outside or to come in with you. There is a good chance that they will want to take a look down there so you might want a chaperone (they will provide a nurse if you want anyway). Ask to have anthing important writte down incase you forget because you might find yourself distracted by whatever news they give.

Hope it all gets sorted quickly. I had pretty bad periods and a scare about a condition to do with that. It was a really difficult time for me. Try not to freak out about anything before talking to doctor and stuff. I kept reading about potential causes and all those horror stories you can find online and it made it so much harder.
Reply 8
Original post by Kindred
Doctor. Preferably asap.

There are various conditions related to periods some of which are to do with your reproductive area and some of which are to do with the surrounding area (gets triggered with periods). There are a lot of potential causes of varying severity and a gynocologist (via referal from your doctor) is probably your best option. I don't know what would be the most likely cause and even if I did I think telling you possibilities would just make you unnessaceraly worried before you see a doctor.

Passing out is never a good thing and discoloration is not a good sign either. Both are things you should really see a doctor about as soon as you notice them although I can see why you wouldn't. I'm not sure how old you are but if you're passing out avoid anything like driving, operating machienes, riding bikes etc (basically anything where you could hurt yourself from falling or stopping controlling it). If you are having a period now I would try to see a doctor before it ends (if you say you are passing out they will probably give you a sooner appointment) and if not just try to get one soon.

Think of things like when it started, if you have any other symptoms either on or off your period (is it painful, do you get an upset stomach too, does anywhere else hurt, do you ever get these symptoms off your period?), if anything helps, how often/ long it occurs etc. It usually helps me to write things down so I don't forget. Also write down any questions that you want to ask like potetial treatments, if it could affect your fertility etc.

It may help you to have somebody with you eiher waiting outside or to come in with you. There is a good chance that they will want to take a look down there so you might want a chaperone (they will provide a nurse if you want anyway). Ask to have anthing important writte down incase you forget because you might find yourself distracted by whatever news they give.

Hope it all gets sorted quickly. I had pretty bad periods and a scare about a condition to do with that. It was a really difficult time for me. Try not to freak out about anything before talking to doctor and stuff. I kept reading about potential causes and all those horror stories you can find online and it made it so much harder.

Thank you this has helped a lot!

I visited the doctors the other day after being made to realise by all of you that it is pretty serious.

They've put me on some medication and I've got another appointment where they're going to do tests.

Thanks for encouraging and being honest with me about your own situation and how I can make my own better. This has really helped me. Sorry you've had a tough time with it too. I hope it's better now.

And to answer your earlier wonderment, I'm 15.

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 9
You might have edometriosis - make sure to go to the GP (preferably a female one) and make sure they send you to someone and don't tell you to get on with it

Quick Reply

Latest