The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
has anyone at all heard from HoP in terms of the FSB?
Original post by CivServant1990
Why did people not research the schemes and processes properly before applying?

Although you have clearly all done well getting through the FSAC, with all due respect you are potentially taking the opportunity away from someone who really wants their first preference scheme but perhaps scored less than you and still passed.

This is not true. If someone drops out then their place will be offered to the next in line with the requisite score.

Anyway do you really think the real world works like you are suggesting? It's not about 'fairness'. everybody looks out for their own interests. We all wish each other well in getting accepted for the faststream but we are interested in ourselves first and foremost.
Has anyone who did their AC on the 15th (or later) heard back?

I'm very nervous. I don't have high hopes as I made a real mess of the written exercise.

But so far no news is better than bad news I guess

Although you have clearly all done well getting through the FSAC, with all due respect you are potentially taking the opportunity away from someone who really wants their first preference scheme but perhaps scored less than you and still passed.

I thought the same when people were saying they applied for schemes that they were not eligible for. I don't mean to sound rude I just think people should put more thought in when picking their schemes and the order of them as the process is made clear from the start.

I was going to reply to this earlier exactly as others have but thought I should just leave it and not engage as it will cause more tension. But others are right. Getting a high enough score at the FSAC to be considered for an FSB but then dropping out does not take away an opportunity from anyone else. Everybody who reaches the benchmark for passing the FSAC will progress and those who don't, wont. Please allow people the opportunity to discuss the process and air their worries.
Reply 3984

I thought the same when people were saying they applied for schemes that they were not eligible for. I don't mean to sound rude I just think people should put more thought in when picking their schemes and the order of them as the process is made clear from the start.

I'm in the running for 9 schemes. I'm eligible for all of them but am interested in only 2.
Original post by zamorano
Has anyone who did their AC on the 15th (or later) heard back?

I'm very nervous. I don't have high hopes as I made a real mess of the written exercise.

But so far no news is better than bad news I guess

If it helps, I had my FSAC on the 14th and haven't heard anything yet.
Does anyone know if Parity will offer another date for the FSAC if you are ill? If so, is there a procedure for this?
Reply 3987
To any1 who has been to an AC in London: Do you suggest wearing a watch or is their clock/timer in the rooms?
Original post by e^x
To any1 who has been to an AC in London: Do you suggest wearing a watch or is their clock/timer in the rooms?

There are wall clocks in each room.
Reply 3989
Original post by zamorano
There are wall clocks in each room.

Thanks and good luck
Original post by Mimma
I'm in the running for 9 schemes. I'm eligible for all of them but am interested in only 2.

I'm also a filthy EU immigrant so my apologies if I steal one of your hypothetical jobs.

Excuse me but at what point did I mention anything about someone from the EU taking a job from me? What a moronic thing to say.

I think you are all being over the top and blowing it way out of proportion. I was simply airing my opinion that I think people should make more informed decisions instead of hedging their bets and avoiding final selection boards.

Once again, not sure if you think you are stealing my job but I am not aware that I ever said I have not been successful. Ta.
Excuse me but at what point did I mention anything about someone from the EU taking a job from me? What a moronic thing to say.

I think you are all being over the top and blowing it way out of proportion. I was simply airing my opinion that I think people should make more informed decisions instead of hedging their bets and avoiding final selection boards.

Once again, not sure if you think you are stealing my job but I am not aware that I ever said I have not been successful. Ta.

Get a grip.
For anyone that has already attended an AC, or indeed anyone that is due to attend, I'm trying to work out whether at any point during the exercises we should be bringing in our own knowledge to inform our responses, or whether we should simply use the information provided for each exercise. One of the competencies is obviously 'Seeing the Bigger Picture', and to me it seems as if that would entail bringing in your own knowledge in order to demonstrate that ability. I am thinking that it could be specifically relevant in the leadership exercise.

Thoughts?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anona666474
For anyone that has already attended an AC, or indeed anyone that is due to attend, I'm trying to work out whether at any point during the exercises we should be bringing in our own knowledge to inform our responses, or whether we should simply use the information provided for each exercise. One of the competencies is obviously 'Seeing the Bigger Picture', and to me it seems as if that would entail bringing in your own knowledge in order to demonstrate that ability. I am thinking that it could be specifically relevant in the leadership exercise.

Knowing whether that is the case could shape how I prep for the day.

Thoughts?

If you read the ac booklet that gives you a good idea of what to do. No one is allowed to talk about the exercises and what is best to prep. I doubt anyone will say more than this as it would give unfair advantage over people early in the cycle
Oh please, I can't cope with your comeback. You all just can't accept someone with a different opinion.

Don't forget none of us know how the process works.
Had my FSAC in Newcastle this afternoon. :colondollar: Felt like it was an intense day, just as intense as the one I did last year in London. Last time, I got offered a non-Fast Stream role (the ones for people who just miss out), so here's hoping I replicated or did better this year.

Not holding out for much hope, though :')
Hi all, does anyone know if FSAC reimburse your accommodation (1 night stay in a hotel) or if they just reimburse travel? Thanks :smile:
Reply 3997
The issue here is not about having differences in opinion but rather the way you expressed that opinion. The forum was created to be inclusive and collaborative, if you therefore feel your needs are not met then you can happily leave those who are finding support on the thread to it. Whatever strategies individuals adopt to get through the application process is personal and very much within their right. How, when, who, what is irrelevant. It you get a high enough score, make the grade and demonstrate the competencies required then you get a job; end of. This is how the real world works so if you don’t like it then definitely feel free to leave a feedback for the Faststream recruitment team.
Original post by trialsofliberty
Had my FSAC in Newcastle this afternoon. :colondollar: Felt like it was an intense day, just as intense as the one I did last year in London. Last time, I got offered a non-Fast Stream role (the ones for people who just miss out), so here's hoping I replicated or did better this year.

Not holding out for much hope, though :':wink:

Not a bad position to be in, but you're right about the intensity, I think the rest after one of them is well deserved!

Original post by bestfriends33
Hi all, does anyone know if FSAC reimburse your accommodation (1 night stay in a hotel) or if they just reimburse travel? Thanks :smile:

Yes, they will reimburse both travel and accomodation if you require it (there are limits on the cost of accomodation in the guide on the candidate portal somewhere). :smile:

Good luck
Original post by Historicity
Not a bad position to be in, but you're right about the intensity, I think the rest after one of them is well deserved!

Yes, they will reimburse both travel and accomodation if you require it (there are limits on the cost of accomodation in the guide on the candidate portal somewhere). :smile:

Good luck

Thank you so much for letting me know! :smile: If anyone knows any cheap Newcastle hotels near the AC please let me know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending