The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

You go to the one you ranked as you highest preference when you started.
Hi guys,

Completed the video interview on Sunday. Not feeling too hopeful for it.

Has anyone heard back about it yet?
How long roughly do you have to wait?
Original post by Aimeemci
Hi guys,

Completed the video interview on Sunday. Not feeling too hopeful for it.

Has anyone heard back about it yet?
How long roughly do you have to wait?

Wrong thread, this is for last year's round.
Hi, what was it like? Was it with a real person or were the questions just recorded?
Original post by NatashaaPereraa
Hi, what was it like? Was it with a real person or were the questions just recorded?

Questions for the video interview are recorded; there's no human interaction.

You're actually posting in the thread for last year - you'll be able to get better info here, in this year's thread!
Hi Everyone - as someone applying this year, i'd be really interested to hear which departments recently started generalists have ended up in, and how everyone is finding it so far?
Original post by Csedders
Hi,

Did you not take that role then? I wanted to ask how the process works, were you put onto a reserve list based on your first choice? How long did it take to be offered a role?

I am still waiting for news on my FSAC performance but I am starting to think that my personal circumstances (mother of a young son, who can only relocate within reasonable distance city to city as my husband cannot relocate from his own full time job), which limits scope for my first choice, especially as placements go on merit... I am thinking I may benefit more from a lower grade role that I can request flexible or part time working (see how everyone's personal circumstances are entirely different)... I am still unsure and will wait to know my results of course.

I have been put on a reserve list for another grad scheme with HMRC and put forward for band O jobs already, at my preferred location. Its just a lot more transparent.

I think I may call recruitment, but would like to hear anyone else's insight!

Thanks

Hi
I was wondering what happened (Passed?) as i am in similar shoes... mother of infant and can't relocate... and wonder if that will hold me back as I'm going to AC.
That's if you don't mind saying.
Thank you so much
Original post by NeverGiveUp2017
Hi
I was wondering what happened (Passed?) as i am in similar shoes... mother of infant and can't relocate... and wonder if that will hold me back as I'm going to AC.
That's if you don't mind saying.
Thank you so much

I really want to squash some rumours about mothers not being okay to join the FS. I promise you - there is nowhere you could be that will be more flexible.

There is a woman in my Dept on FS who brings up a family in Norfolk as her husband has a business there and her secondary school aged kids go to school there. She is based in London two days a week (so just overnight - which they pay for) and works from home for two days a week (compressing her hours in to four days means she can not work fridays).

My advice would be to go for the FS and see what happens with it. If you don't think the scheme will suit your current lifestyle then you can always rethink.
Just wondering how everyone managed with the relocation. Does the Fast Stream help successful applicants when they accept the role or are we to pack up at the end of uni and find our own way. This might sound ridiculous but honestly, I have no support so I'm going to need to know now if I have to save for deposits and finding housing, etc.
Original post by Jamiebb1993
I really want to squash some rumours about mothers not being okay to join the FS. I promise you - there is nowhere you could be that will be more flexible.

There is a woman in my Dept on FS who brings up a family in Norfolk as her husband has a business there and her secondary school aged kids go to school there. She is based in London two days a week (so just overnight - which they pay for) and works from home for two days a week (compressing her hours in to four days means she can not work fridays).

My advice would be to go for the FS and see what happens with it. If you don't think the scheme will suit your current lifestyle then you can always rethink.

Dear Jamiebb1993,

That is amazing thank you so much! I was more worried they might not hire me because i am a new mum and the issues around that.

Thank you for taking the time to reply me

Kind Regards
NGU2017
Reply 7090
Original post by KatieGeography
Just wondering how everyone managed with the relocation. Does the Fast Stream help successful applicants when they accept the role or are we to pack up at the end of uni and find our own way. This might sound ridiculous but honestly, I have no support so I'm going to need to know now if I have to save for deposits and finding housing, etc.

For your first posting you need to have the money yourself as you can't get an advance or borrow a deposit for a rental property. Once you start in your first post and are on the payroll, you can claim back relocation expenses such as travel to your new place, agency fees and the cost of moving your possessions (but not the deposit itself). For subsequent relocations, you can claim that money as an advance and you can still claim moving costs as expenses.
Original post by N_EN
For your first posting you need to have the money yourself as you can't get an advance or borrow a deposit for a rental property. Once you start in your first post and are on the payroll, you can claim back relocation expenses such as travel to your new place, agency fees and the cost of moving your possessions (but not the deposit itself). For subsequent relocations, you can claim that money as an advance and you can still claim moving costs as expenses.

Oh my! Guess I should start saving now then. Finding a deposit, first months rent, travel, furniture money, food and enough money for daily expenses to last me until my first paycheck sounds very pricey.
Reply 7092
Original post by KatieGeography
Oh my! Guess I should start saving now then. Finding a deposit, first months rent, travel, furniture money, food and enough money for daily expenses to last me until my first paycheck sounds very pricey.

It is, but to be fair to the civil service, this isn't unique to them. You will probably have that situation regardless of what job you take. And at least the civil service offer relocation expenses - many companies don't.
Hey guys! Congratulations to all! Are there any who attended the Diplomatic Economist FSB for last year's intake?
Hey guys :smile:

Not sure if the answer is in one of these 300 pages, but does anyone know how long it takes to find out whether you passed the FSAC. I had my FSAC yesterday, and they gave no information on when we get our results. Kinda really want to know.

Thanks
Original post by DanS96
Hey guys :smile:

Not sure if the answer is in one of these 300 pages, but does anyone know how long it takes to find out whether you passed the FSAC. I had my FSAC yesterday, and they gave no information on when we get our results. Kinda really want to know.

Thanks

It depends on how you did. If you performed (comparatively) very well or very poorly, you will find out quickly. The closer to the middle you are, the longer it will take, as they adjust the boundaries as they get more scores.
Reply 7096
Hi guys,

I am complete newbie and haven't posted before but I had my FSAC just under a month ago. I only qualified for the Commercial stream but have not had a reply yet. Has anyone got an offer for Commercial? It is so stressful waiting for an email!
Hey guys,

I'm aware this is last year's forum, but I was just wondering if anyone here had any more info about how likely it is to be offered generalist if you fail your FSB for first choice? I got 10.79 in my FSAC and the pass mark as I'm aware is 10.3.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending