The Student Room Group
Reply 1
TSR wiki might be a good place to start, link to medicine bit should be in my sig
Google often helps too... I won't give you the link, that'd just be patronising.
Reply 3
Becca-Sarah
Google often helps too... I won't give you the link, that'd just be patronising.

Yeah thanks (rolls eyes) that was really useful (!) :wtf?:
I was actually asking for more specific answers...so if you haven't got anything useful to say then don't post anything.

Thanks to the first poster, although I want to read about medicine in more depth- I don't think wiki does that for me...
If there's anyone out there who can actually HELP, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!
Reply 4
shenzys
I was actually asking for more specific answers...so if you haven't got anything useful to say then don't post anything.

Thanks to the first poster, although I want to read about medicine in more depth- I don't think wiki does that:wtf?: for me...
If there's anyone out there who can actually HELP, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

Try the books at the bottom of the wiki, aren't there some more links there too?
Reply 5
shenzys
I was actually asking for more specific answers...so if you haven't got anything

Actually google is a good idea. You don't want people to spoon feed you websites. Searching and reading things through your own research is certainly more interesting, and it could lead you to areas which interest you more in medicine.

Google and Medicine google searching was what eventually lead me here.

Check the universities you wish to go to for course content. Most will be the same, but there are some variations.
For a visual look, the Barts and London (Queen Mary) Medical prospectus has a loverly colorful timetable.
Reply 6
That Insiders' guide to UK medical schools helped me a lot. Make sure you get the right edition though - they change every year. It contains a description of UK medical schools (obviously) along with requirements etc. It also has a detalied comparison in the back of things like the average price for a beer and other useful things other books might not think are important. It's how I narrowed down my shortlist of sixteen universities to a more manageable four!
Reply 7

Well ask a specific question then!
I'm basically looking to research medicine in the summer
That's about as vague as it gets!

If you want to find out what medicine is really like, volunteer at your local hospital. If you want to find out what studying medicine is like, go and find a copy of Kumar and Clarke's Clinical Medicine and have a read.
Swyn
That Insiders' guide to UK medical schools helped me a lot. Make sure you get the right edition though - they change every year. It contains a description of UK medical schools (obviously) along with requirements etc. It also has a detalied comparison in the back of things like the average price for a beer and other useful things other books might not think are important. It's how I narrowed down my shortlist of sixteen universities to a more manageable four!

Definitely agree with this, I had this book aswell, its great.
Reply 9
digitalis
If you want to find out what studying medicine is like, go and find a copy of Kumar and Clarke's Clinical Medicine and have a read.
nah. Practise downing drinks. And practise copying and pasting from wikipedia...:biggrin:

I read a few of the usual books ('insiders guide to medicine' and 'so you want to be a doctor') and don't think they were that useful. The most useful thing is work experience, talking to medics, reading prospectuses. (do you really need us to tell you this......)
Reply 10
work experience is probably the best research you can do. aside from that you can look up various blogs written by overworked and disillusioned nhs doctors, they're always a fun read! if you wana be a geek about it, the bmj or student bmj might be worth checking out.. however when i was researching medicine that would have probably made me puke!
Reply 11
by the way, you're rude.

Latest

Trending

Trending