The Student Room Group

BM5 Southampton Medical Applicants 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hun_m
Anyone willing to tell me their experiences of applying to med school?

What do you want to know?
Hey Guys
So I've applied to this college (MBBS/MbChb)
Just wanted to ask the students/alumni from these schools a few questions. Please answer them, it will really help me!!
1. How is the faculty/teaching?
2. What about the life? Is there a lot of stress and competition? Also hows the social life?
3. How is the city?
4. How is the PBL?
Thanks a lot guys!!
Original post by dakshsaksena

4. How is the PBL?
Thanks a lot guys!!

Can't really answer the others as not a student but its deffo not PBL, its more traditional if i'm correct with some small group tutorials
Original post by dakshsaksena
Hey Guys
So I've applied to this college (MBBS/MbChb)
Just wanted to ask the students/alumni from these schools a few questions. Please answer them, it will really help me!!
1. How is the faculty/teaching?
2. What about the life? Is there a lot of stress and competition? Also hows the social life?
3. How is the city?
4. How is the PBL?
Thanks a lot guys!!

These questions are answered frequently in these threads if you have a poke about :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?page=14&t=3628221#post62657767
^ This is a good post to start with as I think it answers most if not all of your questions.

Otherwise back one page on this thread is this post:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4157257&page=9#post68398786
...which might also be useful.

Also - We don't call them "Colleges" unless you're thinking of Cambridge. It's just a university with a medical school. At Southampton our degree is called BM BS, not MBBS. Many universities have their own variation. And we don't do PBL! Many people believe that and I am not sure why, but we are most certainly not a PBL university.

It's small differences but when it comes to interviews etc its good to use the correct terminology for each institution.

If you still have questions or want more information please come back and let us know! But I'd use these posts as your first port of call.

Original post by The_Dragon_
Can't really answer the others as not a student but its deffo not PBL, its more traditional if i'm correct with some small group tutorials

:yes:

:woo:
(edited 7 years ago)
I just got an email from southampton tited "Important information regarding your application"

Spoiler

Original post by Anishkulkarni98
I just got an email from southampton tited "Important information regarding your application"

Spoiler

I thought it was an interview invite at first, unfortunately not.

Spoiler

Same, I got so excited 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Wasn't that important really.
Original post by Not_a_horse
Wasn't that important really.

I know right! Moreover with the message readig about BM6 applicant status. ROFL
so no ones got interviews yet?
Question for graduates (with 2:1s): did you guys specify on your UCAS form whether you achieved an upper 2:1 and/or the percentage? I'm quite worried as one of the universities I applied to wanted applicants with upper 2:1s to specify and I didn't specify on my UCAS because I didn't see the option to. Going to call admissions for that particular university but I wanted to know if that's applicable to all graduate applicants on all courses

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/selection_day_dates.page
The link above has dates for interviews, looking at the dates I don't think we will hear for a while.
Reply 192
Original post by AmaduM
Question for graduates (with 2:1s): did you guys specify on your UCAS form whether you achieved an upper 2:1 and/or the percentage? I'm quite worried as one of the universities I applied to wanted applicants with upper 2:1s to specify and I didn't specify on my UCAS because I didn't see the option to. Going to call admissions for that particular university but I wanted to know if that's applicable to all graduate applicants on all courses

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally didn't! I just wrote 2:1.
Does anyone know what they will usually ask for in a group interview? And what is the typical group size? I am quite worry about this part.
Does anyone know what their interview structure is like in general? I am horrendously unaware at the moment and none of the medical applicants I know applied here (partially because their UKCATs weren't that good).
Original post by LightAtTheEnd
Does anyone know what their interview structure is like in general? I am horrendously unaware at the moment and none of the medical applicants I know applied here (partially because their UKCATs weren't that good).

What is your UKCAT I think anyone above 650/660 should be safe in getting an interview.
Original post by Not_a_horse
What is your UKCAT I think anyone above 650/660 should be safe in getting an interview.

Home applicant, school leaver with a UKCAT Average of 703. Nothing spectacular by TSR standards but I think I should get an interview ^^
Original post by agahaga
so no ones got interviews yet?

You wont for a while.

Original post by AmaduM

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think Southampton specifically are interested. Just as long as you have a 2.1!

Original post by MollyLauren
Does anyone know what they will usually ask for in a group interview? And what is the typical group size? I am quite worry about this part.

Don't worry. It is a relaxed discussion that many enjoy on a topic that you're not allowed to know about. Its something everyone can have an opinion on. You get time to prepare and it is about presenting an argument not being the loudest or most knowledgeable.

Original post by LightAtTheEnd

See above for group interview and there is a panel interview. I posted a few pages back loads of interview info. x
Reply 198
Hi, I'm an eu student and got 653 average on UKCAT. Do I stand a chance to attend an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joannn
Hi, I'm an eu student and got 653 average on UKCAT. Do I stand a chance to attend an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you look back through this thread, that has been answered a few times by Neostigmine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending