The Student Room Group

A2 English Language and Lit - Answered the wrong text - will i still get marked?

i did my exam on the 15th this month and i am absolutely distressed. there was section A which had 4 texts, as soon as i opened the source booklet i straight away answered the first text because last year's exam only had one text and i assumed there would only be one text (but there were three others on the other side) i was completely oblivious to this and i started analysing the first text as soon as, but after i finished answering the text, only then had i realised i answered the wrong text, so section b was fine but have i lost out on 40 marks from section A, will the examiners still mark this? what can i do? please help.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Aqib Abdul
i did my exam on the 15th this month and i am absolutely distressed. there was section A which had 4 texts, as soon as i opened the source booklet i straight away answered the first text because last year's exam only had one text and i assumed there would only be one text (but there were three others on the other side) i was completely oblivious to this and i started analysing the first text as soon as, but after i finished answering the text, only then had i realised i answered the wrong text, so section b was fine but have i lost out on 40 marks from section A, will the examiners still mark this? what can i do? please help.

First of all, take a breather and explain a little bit more about Sec A.

So as far as I'm aware, Sec A had 4 texts and what kind of question was it? Was it an unseen extract or what it a question based on a prescribed text that you should have stuck to?

If you were entered to answer a certain question for Sec A based on a book or whatever you studied in class, and you didn't answer that certain topic and answered another, then I'm afraid you won't get any marks for it.

This is not uncommon, but honestly there is nothing that can be done as you failed to read the question carefully and answered the question you were not supposed to answer. However, it's not uncommon for a marker to say "oh well, they answered this question very well". However that is malpractice, so I doubt whomever will be marking your script will do this.

I think the best thing to do is to speak to your teacher, and your teacher will go to whoever is in charge of English and then they will explain this to the exam officer. But I doubt this will change things. I'm sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending