The Student Room Group

Applying for Economics at uni for 2016 entry

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice in regards to applying for university.

I decided to do my A levels just a few months ago and im coming up to my last exams, i think im on course for an ABB in maths, bio and chem.

Now, i think i do have entenuating circumstances - i have had a medical condition that has affected me a great deal and also my studies. Im still dealing with everything and hence the decision to take my a levels so late into this year.

I have no idea of what to do in terms of applying to uni etc. Should i ring around and explain my situation? Will they even care about me medical issues that have affected my studies? Should i get my school to put my case forward?

Thanks for any advice people.
Original post by legend786
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice in regards to applying for university.

I decided to do my A levels just a few months ago and im coming up to my last exams, i think im on course for an ABB in maths, bio and chem.

Now, i think i do have entenuating circumstances - i have had a medical condition that has affected me a great deal and also my studies. Im still dealing with everything and hence the decision to take my a levels so late into this year.

I have no idea of what to do in terms of applying to uni etc. Should i ring around and explain my situation? Will they even care about me medical issues that have affected my studies? Should i get my school to put my case forward?

Thanks for any advice people.

You only have a few days until the UCAS deadline closes (June 30th), if you are serious about applying for the 2016 entry then you will need to work quickly to choose what courses you're going to apply for, write a personal statement, find a referee (usually a teacher) and ask them to write your reference, and complete the application form. If you apply after the 30th then your application will go directly into clearing.

It is possible but be aware that some universities may have filled their places by now, so it would be a good idea to phone the universities you're interested in and ask whether they're still considering applications before you send your application.

Your personal circumstances/medical condition is something your referee should talk about in their reference, there's no need to inform universities about it yourself.

These videos outline the application process: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/filling-your-application
Use the UCAS search tool to find courses: http://search.ucas.com
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
You only have a few days until the UCAS deadline closes (June 30th), if you are serious about applying for the 2016 entry then you will need to work quickly to choose what courses you're going to apply for, write a personal statement, find a referee (usually a teacher) and ask them to write your reference, and complete the application form. If you apply after the 30th then your application will go directly into clearing.

It is possible but be aware that some universities may have filled their places by now, so it would be a good idea to phone the universities you're interested in and ask whether they're still considering applications before you send your application.

Your personal circumstances/medical condition is something your referee should talk about in their reference, there's no need to inform universities about it yourself.

These videos outline the application process: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/filling-your-application
Use the UCAS search tool to find courses: http://search.ucas.com

Thanks for that, I have got my referee and I've almost completed my statement too. The only unis that were open to applications and still close to me are like Surrey and reading, would it be even worth my time trying to call other place and explaining my situation and see what they say?
Original post by legend786
Thanks for that, I have got my referee and I've almost completed my statement too. The only unis that were open to applications and still close to me are like Surrey and reading, would it be even worth my time trying to call other place and explaining my situation and see what they say?

You don't need to explain your situation, you just need to know if the university is still prepared to consider applications (the vast majority of universities will). Apply and see what happens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending