The Student Room Group

Traveling from Man. Airport to Nottingham

Hey guys,

Is it easier and faster to travel from Manchester Airport to Nottingham? Or should I go through london?

I will be traveling from abroad.

I looked it up and saw that I had to get to Man. Picadilly and then from there to nottingham. Is that correct?

Is it difficult to get to Man. Picadilly from the airport?

Id have to take a 45 min underground train ride to St. Pan. in london before i can travel to nottingham. So that seemed difficult.

Any different with manchester?

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks so much.
Reply 1
Not sure if there is a direct route, but you can definitely go by bus from Manchester to Derby, and then there are loads of options from Derby to Nottingham. London's a hell of a lot further from Nottingham than Manchester!!!
Reply 2
Cage
Not sure if there is a direct route, but you can definitely go by bus from Manchester to Derby, and then there are loads of options from Derby to Nottingham. London's a hell of a lot further from Nottingham than Manchester!!!

Seriously? I wonder why the sites told me they are both about 2 hours from both locations. Maybe I was looking at it all wrong.

I guess bus would help with all the luggage. Still, it would take quite a long time right?

Do you know where I can go to check it out?
Reply 3
..::Allure::..
Seriously? I wonder why the sites told me they are both about 2 hours from both locations. Maybe I was looking at it all wrong.

I guess bus would help with all the luggage. Still, it would take quite a long time right?

Do you know where I can go to check it out?

The buses you need are probably on here:

http://www.trentbuses.co.uk/

I'll look it up for you tomorrow in my bus and train timetable, and see if I can find you the exact details. There's another much faster bus which I don't think is operated by Trent - I'll check it out for you.
Reply 4
Cage
The buses you need are probably on here:

http://www.trentbuses.co.uk/

I'll look it up for you tomorrow in my bus and train timetable, and see if I can find you the exact details. There's another much faster bus which I don't think is operated by Trent - I'll check it out for you.

Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate it :biggrin:
Reply 5
London to Manchester is on a very high speed rail route, 125mph and it tilts, the trains to Nottingham are more local and has to battle with all the hills in Derbyshire.

It is best to just get train from Manchester Picciddily it is about 20-25 mins by train to the airport.
I am a bit confused as to what you want to do? Go from Manchester Airport to Nottingham?

If so, simply get a train from the airport to Manchester Pic. and then from the same set of platforms (typically), a train will take you to Nottingham via Sheffield. Manchester to Nottingham is Central Trains and will take you around 1hr50-2hr10 depending on which route you select.

Does that help?
Reply 7
going to nottingham from manchester airport is easy
take a train from the airport to manchester picadilly
and then from there to nottingham
infact if you check out http://www.nationalrail.co.uk you can book the entire thing online, they will arrange all the transfers and stuff so its much easier than figuring it out by each transfer
moreover this would be much cheaper as it is online and advance purchase, probably give you the ticket 1/3rd of the price if not less

id reccommend going from the airport to manc. picadilly and then to nottingham and using the website to organise it all for you instead of doing it yourself
Reply 8
Cut out London, you'll just be doing a huge U-turn really. If you're coming from abroad and flying to Manchester Airport all you have to do is catch a train from said airport to Manchester Piccadilly, and then from there catch a train direct to Nottingham via Sheffield.

As for tickets, try and ask for a saver or cheap one-way (if you want one-way, cuz I'm guessing you do) ticket when you buy. And if you buy tickets from Manchester Airport just ask to go to Nottingham rather than saying "Manchester Piccadilly" and then asking again for a ticket to Nottingham once you get there.

(If there are computerised FastTicket machines at Manchester Airport's train station, which I'm not sure if there are, ordering tickets is a doddle anyway).
Reply 9
Absinthe
Cut out London, you'll just be doing a huge U-turn really. If you're coming from abroad and flying to Manchester Airport all you have to do is catch a train from said airport to Manchester Piccadilly, and then from there catch a train direct to Nottingham via Sheffield.

As for tickets, try and ask for a saver or cheap one-way (if you want one-way, cuz I'm guessing you do) ticket when you buy. And if you buy tickets from Manchester Airport just ask to go to Nottingham rather than saying "Manchester Piccadilly" and then asking again for a ticket to Nottingham once you get there.

(If there are computerised FastTicket machines at Manchester Airport's train station, which I'm not sure if there are, ordering tickets is a doddle anyway).

I'm not sure about the actual train station but there are definitely fast ticket machines in the airport itself :smile:
Thanks guys!

So it seems traveling through Manchester is easier than London. I will have more than one luggage bag with me, so I thought it would be so hard for me to carry it through the underground rail, ride for like 45 min, and then take another train ride to Nottingham.

Although traveling to Manchester requires moving from one train to the other, it doesn't seem like the wait in between is as long as the one in London.

Or am I wrong?
1) Don't bother with the London route; completely pointless, you'll be wasting your time. Although I don't know where you got the 45 minute travel time change in London; Euston is 1 tube stop from Kings Cross St Pancras for St Pancras International Station; that said, it's utterly ridiculous and excessively a timeconsuming journey.

2) Your options are thus two fold:
a)from Manchester Airport Station: take any service and change at Manchester Piccadilly, waiting for the Central Trains City Link service to Nottingham (Destination possibly Nottingham, or likely Norwich). This service runs Manchester Piccadilly, Stockport, Sheffield, Chesterfield, Alfreton, (Langley Mill) and Nottingham.

It only runs every hour, and as such could mean you're waiting around at Manchester Picc for a while for the connection.

or b) From Manchester Airport Station, take the Transpennine Express service (destination Sheffield/Cleethorpes somewhere like that); this will run Manchester Piccadilly, Stockport, Sheffield. CHANGE AT SHEFFIELD.
From Sheffield you'll then have more routes to Nottingham available to you, thus less waiting time.
Either, Midland Mainline (destination London St Pancras via Nottingham), or Central Trains Citylink (destination Nottingham or Norwich).

Same price no matter which, as it's Airport to Nottingham using Any Permitted route. Trust me when I tell you, Airport to Manchester, Manchester to London Terminals and London Terminals to Nottingham IS NOT a permitted route!!!

You are going to have to change at least once, at most twice; in either case you're journey shouldn't take more than 2 hours 15 minutes.
Wow! Thanks so much expression!! :biggrin: Very helpful post :biggrin:!
Reply 13
Expression
1) Don't bother with the London route; completely pointless, you'll be wasting your time. Although I don't know where you got the 45 minute travel time change in London; Euston is 1 tube stop from Kings Cross St Pancras for St Pancras International Station; that said, it's utterly ridiculous and excessively a timeconsuming journey.

2) Your options are thus two fold:
a)from Manchester Airport Station: take any service and change at Manchester Piccadilly, waiting for the Central Trains City Link service to Nottingham (Destination possibly Nottingham, or likely Norwich). This service runs Manchester Piccadilly, Stockport, Sheffield, Chesterfield, Alfreton, (Langley Mill) and Nottingham.

It only runs every hour, and as such could mean you're waiting around at Manchester Picc for a while for the connection.

or b) From Manchester Airport Station, take the Transpennine Express service (destination Sheffield/Cleethorpes somewhere like that); this will run Manchester Piccadilly, Stockport, Sheffield. CHANGE AT SHEFFIELD.
From Sheffield you'll then have more routes to Nottingham available to you, thus less waiting time.
Either, Midland Mainline (destination London St Pancras via Nottingham), or Central Trains Citylink (destination Nottingham or Norwich).

Same price no matter which, as it's Airport to Nottingham using Any Permitted route. Trust me when I tell you, Airport to Manchester, Manchester to London Terminals and London Terminals to Nottingham IS NOT a permitted route!!!

You are going to have to change at least once, at most twice; in either case you're journey shouldn't take more than 2 hours 15 minutes.

I don't think he was ever considering airport to Manchester, Manchetser to London Terminals and London Terminals - I think it was fly into a London airport and get a train from London to Nottingham, skipping Manchester completely.

Whichever route you take you'll need to get a train/tube/metro from the airport (be it Manchester or London) to main terminals, then a train from there (be it Manchester or London) to Nottingham - So expect the same about of train switching and same kind of dawdling about, although the wait times might vary.

Personally, I think you should just try and book both routes and see which works out cheapest overall (probably Manchester route) and which has less waiting time (probably Manchester again) and then decide which you want.
NewUniGuy
I don't think he was ever considering airport to Manchester, Manchetser to London Terminals and London Terminals - I think it was fly into a London airport and get a train from London to Nottingham, skipping Manchester completely.

Whichever route you take you'll need to get a train/tube/metro from the airport (be it Manchester or London) to main terminals, then a train from there (be it Manchester or London) to Nottingham - So expect the same about of train switching and same kind of dawdling about, although the wait times might vary.

Personally, I think you should just try and book both routes and see which works out cheapest overall (probably Manchester route) and which has less waiting time (probably Manchester again) and then decide which you want.

Yeah thanks for that. :redface:

Me and the OP have already clarified the intention of the post and discussed in PM about it.

Latest

Trending

Trending