The Student Room Group

Predicted grade predicimant

I'm in my first year of sixth form and already have an A* in maths and should have an A* in further maths however I spent all my time focusing on my actual exams that I'm going to do really bad in my mocks to determine my predicted grades for computer science and economics. Do predicted grades matter that much and what would you do if you were in my situation?
Reply 1
How do you already have an A* in maths? In my experience the teachers were willing to negotiate predicted grades slightly, but only if they genuinely thought you were capable of that grade. For example my Maths teacher wanted to predict me a B but I convinced him that I could get an A :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kit2016
How do you already have an A* in maths? In my experience the teachers were willing to negotiate predicted grades slightly, but only if they genuinely thought you were capable of that grade. For example my Maths teacher wanted to predict me a B but I convinced him that I could get an A :smile:

I did my maths a level and GCSE early (year 8 and year 11 to finish off the whole a level) and now in sixth form it's coming to the end of the year I just did 5 exams and should get an A* in further maths. I'm hoping I can try to negotiate because I plan on going over the subjects during summer to catch up.
Reply 3
Original post by Major-fury
I did my maths a level and GCSE early (year 8 and year 11 to finish off the whole a level) and now in sixth form it's coming to the end of the year I just did 5 exams and should get an A* in further maths. I'm hoping I can try to negotiate because I plan on going over the subjects during summer to catch up.

I had sat fp1 quite early too but never continued on with the fp route decided to just get the maths a level then further and now I want to spend my time doing MAT ( maths admissions test) whilst revising my other subjects
Reply 4
Original post by kit2016

Also by bad I mean terrible. My economics teacher said that I was more than capable of getting an A but when I brought up the subject of predicted grades she said it depended on what you get in your mock...
Reply 5
Also by bad I mean terrible. My economics teacher said that I was more than capable of getting an A but when I brought up the subject of predicted grades she said it depended on what you get in your mock...

Wow congrats on doing A Level Maths in secondary school! I've never known anybody to do that. Meh, if your teacher is reasonable then you should be okay. And if not, I imagine your personal statement will win over any university even if you do get one lower predicted grade.
Reply 6
Original post by kit2016
Wow congrats on doing A Level Maths in secondary school! I've never known anybody to do that. Meh, if your teacher is reasonable then you should be okay. And if not, I imagine your personal statement will win over any university even if you do get one lower predicted grade.

Thank you i was talking to the headteacher and he said he'll still try and give me the A prediction but for computer science I have lessons at a different school so I have no idea how they'll react :/
my mocks went terrible i had 70s in my physics and chemistry but chemistry teacher gave me an A wanted to give me an A* because i did have a good grade in my mid terms but my finals went pretty badly. My physics teacher ended up giving me an A* after some conviencing. I would say go and talk to them privately tell them you will work harder, predicted grades can be quite important if specially if you havent done any of the actual board exams
Reply 8
Original post by NatoHeadshot
my mocks went terrible i had 70s in my physics and chemistry but chemistry teacher gave me an A wanted to give me an A* because i did have a good grade in my mid terms but my finals went pretty badly. My physics teacher ended up giving me an A* after some conviencing. I would say go and talk to them privately tell them you will work harder, predicted grades can be quite important if specially if you havent done any of the actual board exams

I feel like I'll be able to get a prediction for an A for economics because I should be able to talk to my economics teacher about it. She knows I'm hard working but our relationship isn't the best :/ and for the other exam being computing I haven't even say it yet I've just been dreading it so much to the point I've avoided it... I have to go in tomorrow to discuss it though hopefully she'll be understanding
I feel like I'll be able to get a prediction for an A for economics because I should be able to talk to my economics teacher about it. She knows I'm hard working but our relationship isn't the best :/ and for the other exam being computing I haven't even say it yet I've just been dreading it so much to the point I've avoided it... I have to go in tomorrow to discuss it though hopefully she'll be understanding

I know what you're going through trust me, I was feeling exactly like you a couple of days ago and boy did it really make my mood terrible. Talk to your teachers first my physics twcqher gave me an A I really wanted an A* so I came back I showed some emotion of sadness and disappointment of myself and I too promised her that I would work hard. From my exprience most teachers if you're hard working would love to give you an A* or A but sometimes they might be afraid that the school or institution will question them. I suggest you do go talk to them ASAP and let them take their time to think about it if they have to. I hope it goes well for you because I know how it must feel

Quick Reply

Latest