The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hslakaal
Anyone seen this piece in the NY Times? An account by an American in Germany who didn't get vicodin (co-codamol) post-op, but rather got ibuprofen.

Wonder where we land on the opioids scale. Feel like most would probably get some morphine or co-codamol?

Lap hysterectomy I'd prescribe regular paracetamol + ibuprofen with prn codeine + oramorph/oxynorm. Don't know what patients actually get out of that lot when they go to the ward/home though.

For a TAH I'd usually offer a spinal with diamorphine, probably stick the codeine on the regular side (with laxative). PCA if they don't want spinal or it's a particularly difficult op.

All of them would get morphine/oxycodone IV in theatre and prescribed as rescue analgesia for recovery.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
As a O&G SHO, where I work we tend to just give paracetamol and ibuprofen post op. Occasionally co-codamol but very rarely and even less so as a TTO.

Even women post-LSCS mostly just go home on paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Most women go home within 24-36 hours :dontknow:

Original post by Helenia
Lap hysterectomy I'd prescribe regular paracetamol + ibuprofen with prn codeine + oramorph/oxynorm. Don't know what patients actually get out of that lot when they go to the ward/home though.

For a TAH I'd usually offer a spinal with diamorphine, probably stick the codeine on the regular side (with laxative). PCA if they don't want spinal or it's a particularly difficult op.

All of them would get morphine/oxycodone IV in theatre and prescribed as rescue analgesia for recovery.

So what you guys are saying is that we're not only literally in-between Germany and the US physically but also in pain management? :laugh:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Even women post-LSCS mostly just go home on paracetamol and ibuprofen.

I had some refuse all analgesia and go home with nothing.

Psychology is hugely important in pain. If you think you don't need drugs you may well not. Within reason anyway!
I was admitted to ENT with tonsillitis and a quinsy, was in hospital for 2 days and had it drained - got paracetamol, ibuprofen and 60 30mg codeine tablets as my TTO. Bit ott amirite.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I was admitted to ENT with tonsillitis and a quinsy, was in hospital for 2 days and had it drained - got paracetamol, ibuprofen and 60 30mg codeine tablets as my TTO. Bit ott amirite.

Did u need the codeine though?

Always curious if we're unknowingly going down the US opioid crisis pathway...
Can't comment too much on analgesia prescriptions, but I had a GP placement in a town with a high number of international students and the GP said he could always tell when exam season came round because he'd get an influx of American students asking for benzos.
When I had pancreatitis, I had PCA for morphine. And it barely touched the pain although I got very attached to that button (I was pretty bummed when it got taken away because I was no longer in as much pain and oramorph was considered to be enough. Did make me feel a bit woozy and high though. It's made me never want to experience pain again.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

I had this - Ended up having an emergency tonsillectomy and got a TTO for a months codeine! Absolute madness, I think I ended up taking it for 3 days.
Similarly, I once had an ingrown toe nail removed and they gave me tramadol to take home? I barely needed paracetamol.
Original post by hslakaal
Did u need the codeine though?

Always curious if we're unknowingly going down the US opioid crisis pathway...

Not at all. I took 1 for comfort once, but I could've gone without. Simple analgesia would've been enough!

That said, I do get migraines every few months and using the codeine for that has been useful. :')
(edited 6 years ago)
Potentially an easier-going op than the above but I had an open inguinal hernia repair last year. Only had paracetamol immediately post op as the LA was working wonders. I didn't think much about pain as a result and went home within 3-4 hours.

Cue LA wearing off and f**k me. Has 2-3 weeks of pretty severe pain. You get mixed reviews online about the recovery but I wouldn't wish it on my wrist enemy unless they had some short term opioids prescribed. In the end I just went overboard with the OTC ibuprofen + codeine.
Original post by ForestCat
Corrected that for you. And I'm in complete (and sad) agreement.

Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I can understand why some people don't want to mention it. It does agitate some people, especially the trolls who come out of their holes to argue and tell you you're wrong and that if you don't like it "go back to your own country". :facepalm:

My all time favourite is that NHS should employ local doctors and not the ones who come from abroad and they don't even realise she was Leicester graduate. If her name was Dr Jessica Smith half of these comments wouldn't be there.
Original post by Nottie
My all time favourite is that NHS should employ local doctors and not the ones who come from abroad and they don't even realise she was Leicester graduate. If her name was Dr Jessica Smith half of these comments wouldn't be there.

Some stuff written about her is vile. I don't understand how someone can have so much hatred in them. It just goes to show that some people are so blinded by ignorance and stupidity that they cannot understand something as simple as a fact. #FAKENEWS!!!!

Almost makes me consider changing my name to Florence Bickerstaff-Huckabee.

EDIT
We have a lecture on Friday about honesty and truth-telling in medicine. That's going to be interesting.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nottie

Oh I don't know that her name would change so much at this stage; they'd see a black face and a scarf and be just as outraged. There's being British and there's being "British" for these people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fleur_de_haine
Oh I don't know that her name would change so much at this stage; they'd see a black face and a scarf and be just as outraged. There's being British and there's being "British" for these people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if she was white and British there'd still be vile comments, just they'd be about how much they wanted/didn't want to shag her. Because obvs that's all we're good for.
It’s not just daily mail though is it. A friend made the interesting comparison with the Oxford student who stabbed her boyfriend but got basically let off because she showed immense talent and promise.

It’s interesting that the courts will take account of personal circumstances when deciding sentancing but seem to ignore the systemic failings that happened in Leicester.
Original post by ForestCat
It’s not just daily mail though is it. A friend made the interesting comparison with the Oxford student who stabbed her boyfriend but got basically let off because she showed immense talent and promise.

It’s interesting that the courts will take account of personal circumstances when deciding sentancing but seem to ignore the systemic failings that happened in Leicester.

Being white, pretty and wealthy has its perks.

Ignoring the personal circumstance in the sense that Bawa Garba only returned from maternity leave.

Another similar story was a group of 4 men who broke into a shop and confronted the owner. Two of the fellas starting attacking the owner, one punch of which killed him, they all then run away and he died.

The two fellas who ran away got off with a slap on the wrists, Bawa-Garba and the two fellas who attacked and killed the guy all got found guilty for the same crime (apparently they'd meant to INJURE him, not kill him.)
In other news, apparently Trump was bragging about getting 30/30 in the MoCA lol
Original post by Asklepios
In other news, apparently Trump was bragging about getting 30/30 in the MoCA lol

I watched the Piers Morgan interview with Donald Trump last night, he did indeed use this as evidence of his 'stable genius'.

The whole interview was extremely cringey. It would have been quite funny, if they weren't such insufferable pricks.
I severely doubt he scored a 30 in the MoCA - I don't think he can find 11 words beginning with F - cant picture him as much of a drawer any way
In terms of heart breaking (what you see on the ward) - I actually dont think the worst examples are death. What I've found most depressing (heavy gery focus, since that's where I am right now) are the granny dumps, the folks with a MMSE of zero and the nice oldies who are treated awfully by some of the consultants - one in particular is really patronising and I dont think all of them see it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending