The Student Room Group

My dad won't let me go to the college i want!

My dad won' let me go the the college i want and i am getting annoyed at him!

I want to go to a college which is about a 20 minute drive from where i live, my dad wan'ts me to go to a college which is just down the road from us, but it is a really really bad one.

He's annoying me because he keeps saying it's too far (it really is lierally 20 minute drive) so i told him that there is a bus which coes from the town centre to the college and back. He then said that it costs too much and i showed him a leaflet of bursaries you can get and an offer of a FREE bus pass. Then he got in a mood with me and started having a go at me, ignoring the fact that we can get bursaries and a free bus pass telling me that i only want to go because my friends are going and that we can't afford it. I dont want to go because my friends are, i want to go because it's a really good college and offers the courses i want. Though, the college my dad wants me to go to does also offer the courses i want, the college is sh*t.

I have to apply to colleges in September, but at this rate, i'm goign to end up going to the one my dad want's me to because he is stuck on the idea of me going to the college he wants me to go to.

Also, my older brother and sister went to the college he wants me to go to, and he keeps telling me that. But i'm not them! The college has changed so much since they were there and i am not going to a college where the average maximum grade people leave with is a B!

Also the one that i want to go to, you actually improve massively from the grades that you have achieved at GCSE.

What can i do to make him see sense?!?!?!!?
Original post by EternalKiss
My dad won' let me go the the college i want and i am getting annoyed at him!

I want to go to a college which is about a 20 minute drive from where i live, my dad wan'ts me to go to a college which is just down the road from us, but it is a really really bad one.

He's annoying me because he keeps saying it's too far (it really is lierally 20 minute drive) so i told him that there is a bus which coes from the town centre to the college and back. He then said that it costs too much and i showed him a leaflet of bursaries you can get and an offer of a FREE bus pass. Then he got in a mood with me and started having a go at me, ignoring the fact that we can get bursaries and a free bus pass telling me that i only want to go because my friends are going and that we can't afford it. I dont want to go because my friends are, i want to go because it's a really good college and offers the courses i want. Though, the college my dad wants me to go to does also offer the courses i want, the college is sh*t.

I have to apply to colleges in September, but at this rate, i'm goign to end up going to the one my dad want's me to because he is stuck on the idea of me going to the college he wants me to go to.

Also, my older brother and sister went to the college he wants me to go to, and he keeps telling me that. But i'm not them! The college has changed so much since they were there and i am not going to a college where the average maximum grade people leave with is a B!

Also the one that i want to go to, you actually improve massively from the grades that you have achieved at GCSE.

What can i do to make him see sense?!?!?!!?

I think you should apply to both :smile:, for me it was the opposite I wanted to go to my school 6th form while parents wanted me to go to a 6th form with a higher reputation. I am happy that I listened to them but with your scenario you should tell your dad and try convince him. Tell him that maybe you will get a job in order to pay for the bus fees?

Quick Reply

Latest