The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Where do all the 2nd and 3rd year students tend to live in Sheffield?

Hi guys!I’m relocating to Sheffield to do my post-graduate degree and wanted to get some advice on where to live from all of you guys that know the area inside out.I’m looking for an area that’s not too ‘fresher-y’ and would ideally like to head towards the areas with majority 2nd and 3rd years living there (bit quieter, less rowdy, etc). Any advice you guys could give would be awesome!
Thanks,Tony
Original post by goslingl12
Hi guys!I’m relocating to Sheffield to do my post-graduate degree and wanted to get some advice on where to live from all of you guys that know the area inside out.I’m looking for an area that’s not too ‘fresher-y’ and would ideally like to head towards the areas with majority 2nd and 3rd years living there (bit quieter, less rowdy, etc). Any advice you guys could give would be awesome!
Thanks,Tony

Hey you!

As a former student, I can recommend Ecclesall Road. That's a very student-heavy and student-friendly area of the city as there's lots of bars, restaurants and coffee shops as well as two big parks and one of our campuses is on that road, too. There are lots of bus routes too. I lived here in 2nd year.

Another option is Sharrow, it's a bit more residential in terms of older inhabitants and families etc. but lots of people move out to Sharrow. It's close to Ecclesall Road too. Again, it's got great transport links and lots of restaurants, bars and shops in the area. It's a nice place to access everything that Eccy Road has to offer without being in the thick of student life. I lived in Sharrow in my third year and my postgraduate year.

Kelham Island (across the other side of the city to Sharrow/Eccy Road) is a very popular area. It's a 10-15 minute walk into the city centre and a lot of young professionals and older students are moving there. It's a creative area with bars, cafes and a couple of restaurants but it's a really up and coming location. Although it can be quite expensive to rent here, compared to other areas.

Thosse would be my recommendations.

Laura
(Official Hallam rep)
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hey you!

As a former student, I can recommend Ecclesall Road. That's a very student-heavy and student-friendly area of the city as there's lots of bars, restaurants and coffee shops as well as two big parks and one of our campuses is on that road, too. There are lots of bus routes too. I lived here in 2nd year.

Another option is Sharrow, it's a bit more residential in terms of older inhabitants and families etc. but lots of people move out to Sharrow. It's close to Ecclesall Road too. Again, it's got great transport links and lots of restaurants, bars and shops in the area. It's a nice place to access everything that Eccy Road has to offer without being in the thick of student life. I lived in Sharrow in my third year and my postgraduate year.

Kelham Island (across the other side of the city to Sharrow/Eccy Road) is a very popular area. It's a 10-15 minute walk into the city centre and a lot of young professionals and older students are moving there. It's a creative area with bars, cafes and a couple of restaurants but it's a really up and coming location. Although it can be quite expensive to rent here, compared to other areas.

Thosse would be my recommendations.

Laura
(Official Hallam rep)

Hi, stick with the ecclesall road area It's much nicer than the other areas mentioned above. Kelham island is very industrial no local would live there.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending