The Student Room Group

Political consultancy/Think Tank/NGO work and university choice

Although these areas are very competitive, I'd like to work for a political consultancy or ThinkTank upon greaduation.

The unis I am interested in are: University of Liverpool and University of Manchester(they’re in my area and I have to stay here for family reasons).

I know that Manch is better regarded and ranks higher, but my question is: honestly, will this significantly affect my employability in this area depending on Liverpool or Manchester?

I am more likely to get a political related internship with an MP with Liverpool (although this is not guaranteed).

Feedback much appreciated as this is a really crucial decision.
Original post by J_89
Although these areas are very competitive, I'd like to work for a political consultancy or ThinkTank upon greaduation.

The unis I am interested in are: University of Liverpool and University of Manchester(they’re in my area and I have to stay here for family reasons).

I know that Manch is better regarded and ranks higher, but my question is: honestly, will this significantly affect my employability in this area depending on Liverpool or Manchester?

I am more likely to get a political related internship with an MP with Liverpool (although this is not guaranteed).

Feedback much appreciated as this is a really crucial decision.

Hi there, like you I had similar ambitions post university- to break into the policy/political consultancy arena and after several interviews I've finally secured a policy internship with a local government membership organisation so I can definitley offer some advice.*

The difference in rank between Manchester & Liverpool shouldn't matter at all. I went to UEA and had no problems getting interviews (my issue with interviews is another story and hopefully you shouldn't have the same problems!). What mattered far more was that I had work experience- I'd done two mini research projects at local councils plus volunteered with two charities. So the more work experience the better. Then its about putting together a strong, tailored CV and cover letter which shows why you want to work at that particular organisation and how you meet the job criteria. Then if you get an interview, aceing that, when it comes to it don't be afraid to find someone you can practice with.*

Do also consider though how you will manage financially when you start out. All the think tanks and consultancies I've seen will only take new grads on as interns first, whilst most of these positions are paid, its only the minimum wage or london living wage at best which would be difficult to live off alone if you have to move to London, given London rents. You also have the issue that most are 3 or 6 months and typically house contracts are at least a year. So do take that into account. I'm only able to take up this internship because my parents already live in London.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Hi there, like you I had similar ambitions post university- to break into the policy/political consultancy arena and after several interviews I've finally secured a policy internship with a local government membership organisation so I can definitley offer some advice.*

The difference in rank between Manchester & Liverpool shouldn't matter at all. I went to UEA and had no problems getting interviews (my issue with interviews is another story and hopefully you shouldn't have the same problems!). What mattered far more was that I had work experience- I'd done two mini research projects at local councils plus volunteered with two charities. So the more work experience the better. Then its about putting together a strong, tailored CV and cover letter which shows why you want to work at that particular organisation and how you meet the job criteria. Then if you get an interview, aceing that, when it comes to it don't be afraid to find someone you can practice with.*

Do also consider though how you will manage financially when you start out. All the think tanks and consultancies I've seen will only take new grads on as interns first, whilst most of these positions are paid, its only the minimum wage or london living wage at best which would be difficult to live off alone if you have to move to London, given London rents. You also have the issue that most are 3 or 6 months and typically house contracts are at least a year. So do take that into account. I'm only able to take up this internship because my parents already live in London.

Brilliant response - many thanks.

Can I also ask, how difficult career progression is within this job - does it offer any kind of longevity/stability from what you know?

Also, could you describe for me your day-to-day tasks.

It'd be massively appreciated!
Original post by J_89
Brilliant response - many thanks.

Can I also ask, how difficult career progression is within this job - does it offer any kind of longevity/stability from what you know?

Also, could you describe for me your day-to-day tasks.

It'd be massively appreciated!

Well in my case, the internship I've been offered is 7 months and it doesn't look like it will become permanent- the others working there are quite senior. Other adverts I've seen have said there is the possibility of an internship being made permanent if the intern performs well & they have the need for the role. All the think tanks I've looked at appear to have a number of permanent research staff at junior & senior levels so there are definitley some more stable roles out there, how difficult it is to get one I don't know, I shall definitley be aiming for one in the next year or so.

As far as day to day tasks go, I haven't actually started yet, all I have is my job description which isn't too specific (I guess as tasks will vary according to need) but it involves things like helping out with an All Party Parliamentary Group (not all think tanks do that though, its kinda public affairs rather than policy per say), gathering, analysing and presenting information, organising meetings (again it varies by organisation whether a policy/research intern would help out with events or not), research and briefing support.

In about a month I should hopefully be able to be a bit more specific!
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
Well in my case, the internship I've been offered is 7 months and it doesn't look like it will become permanent- the others working there are quite senior. Other adverts I've seen have said there is the possibility of an internship being made permanent if the intern performs well & they have the need for the role. All the think tanks I've looked at appear to have a number of permanent research staff at junior & senior levels so there are definitley some more stable roles out there, how difficult it is to get one I don't know, I shall definitley be aiming for one in the next year or so.

As far as day to day tasks go, I haven't actually started yet, all I have is my job description which isn't too specific (I guess as tasks will vary according to need) but it involves things like helping out with an All Party Parliamentary Group (not all think tanks do that though, its kinda public affairs rather than policy per say), gathering, analysing and presenting information, organising meetings (again it varies by organisation whether a policy/research intern would help out with events or not), research and briefing support.

In about a month I should hopefully be able to be a bit more specific!

Hi jelly1000

Was just wondering how you're getting on and if you have any more specific info yet with regards to the above post?

Thanks!
J_89

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending