The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Financial Support with part time BSc Comptuing & IT

Morning all!

For a few years I've been really thinking about doing a degree with the open university, and I'm going for the part time BSc in Computing & IT with a second subject in design starting in Oct 2016.

The last year has been a struggle financially due to losing my job & a battle with depression and an emerging personality disorder so I have no savings, a baby due in November and I live with my partner in a council property.

I have applied for a full tuition fee, but I'm not sure what other support the OU offer when it comes to grants etc - the only things I can find are pre-2010 and very vague parts on their website.

I currently receive employment and support allowance (support based), and technically I am not disabled as I am having counselling and have been estimated to be out of the system within the next 6 months, so a disabled student grant is not an option.

I have seen the Study Support Fund (which you can't apply for until the course starts?)
Does anybody have some information on this?

Are there any other options for grants/loans (other than covering the cost of the course)?

Apologies for my lack of knowledge on all of this!

PS. I will be looking for part time work during the course, but I would like to finish my counselling and get my head in the right place before I take on too much again - hence finally going for this course!

Thanks in advance!

Happy Saturday!
Info on the Study Support Fund can be found here:
http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/help/study-support-fund

Aside from the DSA, I think it's all the further support currently offered. Here's a more detailed page on options:
http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/help/support-for-living-costs-q-eng

Hmm. It doesn't seem to like direct links. Go to the Help Centre, click on Planning, Enrolling, and Paying for Studies, then Funding Your Studies, then Support For Living Costs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest