The Student Room Group

Anyone get bad results at AS but mint results at A2??

Scroll to see replies

Just received my results yesterday in AS and got -
Biology- D
Psychology - C
Sociology -C
English lit - C

Pretty disappointed I'm planning to drop English I expected to get an A in sociology because I thought it went really well and in the year I got As
With biology I worked so hard for aswell
And psychology I expected atleast a B
Can someone give me some advise on how to improve in these subjects feeling really down atm :frown:
Hi there. I got ABCC last year at AS and after hard work and resitting several AS papers alongside A2 I got A*AA a few days ago. I didn't get the course I wanted to do at uni (Law) but now I'll take a gap year and apply with these A2 grades to any university I'll want to apply to knowing that I'll most probably get a place with a killer personal statement. It's never too late to succeed!
For edexcel Communism and Dictatorship 20th Century, I got 33/100 (U) at in my first year, but I took the exam again and got 96/100 UMS.
Original post by Ninjakam119
Got BCCD at AS after thinking I could just read the textbook the night before. Worked my hypothetical ass off and got A*AA at A2, trying for medicine this year :smile:
My subjects were Biology, Chemistry and Maths (dropped physics).

Im in a similar boat you were last year. I got CDDD, Bio Chem Maths Physics. I need a little advice and help. What do you think? should i drop Maths or Physics. Here is a little background into it. I hated physics at the start of the year and wanted to drop it but ended up keeping it. I didn't put as much effort into the subject before the exams maybe just revised for 2 days before the exam and ended up getting a D. Whereas maths i was ok with and i done considerably well at mocks etc. I put all my effort into it and only manged to get D. My parents believe that i spent a lot of time on maths and that i should consider dropping it. But i am confused as to which one to drop to make my life easier at A2 because they both have their pros and cons. Firstly, if i do take A2 maths i will have to do c3,c4 and s1 on top resit module c1 and m1 because it is modular. Whereas if take A2 Physics i will have to sit 3 EXAMS 2 from AS and 1 from A2 because its linear. I feel like physics i can understand well without as much effort because my mind works visually etc. But maths i have to grind my ass off to get it well. Any tips you can give me? any help again would be appreciated.
Original post by RehanJak98
Hi there. I got ABCC last year at AS and after hard work and resitting several AS papers alongside A2 I got A*AA a few days ago. I didn't get the course I wanted to do at uni (Law) but now I'll take a gap year and apply with these A2 grades to any university I'll want to apply to knowing that I'll most probably get a place with a killer personal statement. It's never too late to succeed!

Any advice sorry and what Did you get your teachers to predict you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TurtleCub
Did you do it all in two years, and what about your predicted grades?

My predicted grades were AAB, I dropped one of the E grades but had to redo AS/A2 for the other E grade which meant sitting in the AS lessons aswell. It may sound a little strange at first but trust me in the end it's worth it I got offers from all 5 universities and in September I'm off to a Russell group uni. Honestly last year I would never have thought I would get what I did but just be thorough in revision by this I mean do all past papers and read examiners reports and see what is in the mark scheme to see how you would answer question to get marks. IT IS POSSIBLE ... YOU MAY BE TOLD YOU CAN NOT DO IT BUT YOU CAN!!!!

The only reason I'm on here is because last year I made a post because I messed up and people told me their success stories and I promised myself if I were to do well I would do the same.

*edit* yes I did it in 2 years, I was told I should go to another college and re do the whole AS but I decided against it best decision I ever made.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Asdfgh123qwerty
My predicted grades were AAB, I dropped one of the E grades but had to redo AS/A2 for the other E grade which meant sitting in the AS lessons aswell. It may sound a little strange at first but trust me in the end it's worth it I got offers from all 5 universities and in September I'm off to a Russell group uni. Honestly last year I would never have thought I would get what I did but just be thorough in revision by this I mean do all past papers and read examiners reports and see what is in the mark scheme to see how you would answer question to get marks. IT IS POSSIBLE ... YOU MAY BE TOLD YOU CAN NOT DO IT BUT YOU CAN!!!!

The only reason I'm on here is because last year I made a post because I messed up and people told me their success stories and I promised myself if I were to do well I would do the same.

*edit* yes I did it in 2 years, I was told I should go to another college and re do the whole AS but I decided against it best decision I ever made.

An amazong story thanks fpr the advice How did you convince your teachers to predict you AAB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
An amazong story thanks fpr the advice How did you convince your teachers to predict you AAB

Posted from TSR Mobile

The subjects with the C grades i resat 1 module each on those. It may seem that predicted grades are difficult to get high but trust me once you go back to college you will realise that yours will probably be high too, if not speak to your head of hall before they send of your UCAS application they are always able to help. If however in an unfortunate situation you dont get high predicted grades and offers at unis you want to go you can go through adjustment next summer, this is where you can apply o high grade requirement unis if you exceeded your expectations e.g. you get prediicted BBC and get AAB you can go through adjustment and still get to a high rank uni. Dont worry about it too much just enjoy the last couple weeks before you go back because thats when the hard work starts.

*edit* ENJOY the last few weeks of summer. Lasy year A levels results were on the 13th and i spend over a month stressing out and worrying. Dont do that just ENJOY it.
(edited 7 years ago)
I got CDDD, Bio Chem Maths Physics. I need a little advice and help. What do you think? should i drop Maths or Physics. Here is a little background into it. I hated physics at the start of the year and wanted to drop it but ended up keeping it. I didn't put as much effort into the subject before the exams maybe just revised for 2 days before the exam and ended up getting a D. Whereas maths i was ok with and i done considerably well at mocks etc. I put all my effort into it and only manged to get D. My parents believe that i spent a lot of time on maths and that i should consider dropping it. But i am confused as to which one to drop to make my life easier at A2 because they both have their pros and cons. Firstly, if i do take A2 maths i will have to do c3,c4 and s1 on top resit module c1 and m1 because it is modular. Whereas if take A2 Physics i will have to sit 3 EXAMS 2 from AS and 1 from A2 because its linear. I feel like physics i can understand well without as much effort because my mind works visually etc. But maths i have to grind my ass off to get it well. Any tips you can give me? any help again would be appreciated.
I got EUEU in my first year of AS doing English Lit, Biology, Philosophy and Chemistry -
I moved college and got BUDD in English Lit, Classics, Economics and History -
Retook all my AS exams except my English Coursework which I got 90% in and came out on results day with A* A* A in English Lit, History and Economics!
Reply 130
Original post by Yousf
what course at kings?

My course is English BA, are you also going to King's?
For anyone concerned about poor AS grades please don't be. At AS last year I got CDDD due to my own fault of not working hard enough.
I decided to still apply to universities requiring ABB-BCC and got 5/5 offers still.
I worked my butt off all year to meet my first choice offer of BBB and ended up achieving ACC in PE, Biology, Geography with my PE going up from a low D to 8 UMS off an A*. That was without resitting the whole year. I got into my first choice uni and now look forward to starting in September.
Good luck everyone. If you work hard you can do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Others might have more successful success stories but I got BBCC in my AS year and then went on to get BCC in my A2 year. Decided to take a year out, get a job and teach myself the material again. Got BBB this year and I'm off to Soton. I missed my firm by 4 UMS so it could have been ABB but whatever innit :colondollar:

tl;dr if youre gonna try and improve your grades, no half measures - if you really want it, put in the work.
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
I got BBCD at AS in Maths, Physics, Computing and Chemistry respectively. At A2 I dropped Computing and Chemistry and decided to pick A-Level Further Maths and do it all within the year.

Got my results yesterday and got A*AB in Maths, Physics and FM respectively. I got rejected by Bath unfortunately who wanted A*AA but I went through clearing and got offers from Birmingham, Manchester, Exeter and Nottingham for Maths. I really let myself down with D1 which was one of my FM modules as I got a U in it (33 UMS), if I managed to get a high B in it then I would have gotten an A in FM.

wow, that's really good, congratulations
(edited 7 years ago)
I got BCEE in phsycology, biology , maths and chemistry respectively. Now my sixth form aren't allowing me to continue with E grades. Any help/advice appreciated. Thankyou.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
There were two As and 1B in my Maths AS class and majority Ds Es and Us with maybe 1 or 2 Cs. The A2 class got quite a few As and Bs and a couple A*s. A guy at my school who got something like CEU at AS just got A*A*B and is now going to UCL IIRC from my facebook.

Would you say a grade C at AS, is not the B all and end all. 7 ums off a B. I knew my AS content well, I just dont know what happened in the exams.
I got BCEE in phsycology, biology , maths and chemistry respectively. Now my sixth form aren't allowing me to continue with E grades. Any help/advice appreciated. Thankyou.
I managed to up my Government & Politics grades from a B at AS to an A at A2. Now going to study Politics & IR at my top choice uni.

Although it may seem like the odds are against you, it's totally possible to improve at A2. Spend your free periods revising weak areas, consider resitting AS modules, and give your subject teacher extra work to mark if you're really driven. Good luck :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
B at AS level. A single B btw as I was taking an AVCE. Dropped the AVCE. Resat a module of the B. Full marks. Grade went up.

A2. Took two ASs and three A2s. AAB. Bearing in mind this was before A^ grades. IDK. :pain:

Quick Reply

Latest