The Student Room Group

Urgent help needed - uni essay penalties?!

Hey everyone

I'm currently in my final year of uni, after I submitted my coursework I noticed you could see edits that i had made such as formatting and adding/deleting text - I later found out this was called track changes. I am unsure as to how this was enabled and am now scared I will get penalised for it!! I (think) I have done everything else correctly and am now anxious about what will happen :frown:

I would be grateful for anyone's advice :smile:

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

You need to ask your department as unis and departments have different requirements for assessment. Some will consider what you have submitted to be incomplete as the changes shown via track have not been incorporated into a final piece of work.
Reply 2
Original post by magratgarlick
You need to ask your department as unis and departments have different requirements for assessment. Some will consider what you have submitted to be incomplete as the changes shown via track have not been incorporated into a final piece of work.

Thanks for your reply, if this was the case at my uni would i be capped??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by laalaa5462
Thanks for your reply, if this was the case at my uni would i be capped??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read the post you just quoted. It varies between unis - nobody can tell you what your uni and department will do
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
Read the post you just quoted. It varies between unis - nobody can tell you what your uni and department will do

Sorry im really stressed out, cant get in contact with my dept unfortunately. Trying to gain a rough idea of the penalties from other unis

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need to read the assessment penalty rules for your uni. Different unis have wildly different requirements - penalties can range from a zero mark for submitting a draft up to just a small penalty for very poor presentation.
The rules for your uni will be on the website or VLE or intranet or in a handbook. I find it hard to believe you could get into third year and still not know where your own departments rules for submission are.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by magratgarlick
You need to read the assessment penalty rules for your uni. Different unis have wildly different requirements - penalties can range from a zero mark for submitting a draft up to just a small penalty for very poor presentation.
The rules for your uni will be on the website or VLE or intranet or in a handbook. I find it hard to believe you could get into third year and still not know where your own departments rules for submission are.

I have read the handbook? It mentions penalties for late submission but doesnt have anything covering the issue I have. I dont know what you patronising me would achieve though..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are really worrying send a copy of the final correct essay with all the tracking incorporated to the administrator and explain what has happened. They may not be able to accept it in place of the first submission but you can't do anything else about that other one now.
Reply 8
Hey everyone

I'm currently in my final year of uni, after I submitted my coursework I noticed you could see edits that i had made such as formatting and adding/deleting text - I later found out this was called track changes. I am unsure as to how this was enabled and am now scared I will get penalised for it!! I (think) I have done everything else correctly and am now anxious about what will happen :frown:

I would be grateful for anyone's advice :smile:

Thank you!

Track changes really don't matter. One of my friends is a post graduate lecturer, and he told me that he is used to seeing this all the time! Good luck. Too late to do anything about it now anyway!
Reply 9
Original post by john2054
Track changes really don't matter. One of my friends is a post graduate lecturer, and he told me that he is used to seeing this all the time! Good luck. Too late to do anything about it now anyway!

Thank you so much, I feel a bit more relieved knowing this now!! Does your friend apply a penalty when he does find track changes left on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much, I feel a bit more relieved knowing this now!! Does your friend apply a penalty when he does find track changes left on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think so, but then he is a maths lecturer, and working out is standard for maths. You get marked on it, at least you did in my day. I'm not so sure about for your degree, you are probably best off contacting the lecturer in question?? Was it a final year unit?
Reply 11
I don't think so, but then he is a maths lecturer, and working out is standard for maths. You get marked on it, at least you did in my day. I'm not so sure about for your degree, you are probably best off contacting the lecturer in question?? Was it a final year unit?

Yeah it was (im doing a humanities subject so I'm not too sure now). I'm trying to get in contact but I havent been replied back to yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it was (im doing a humanities subject so I'm not too sure now). I'm trying to get in contact but I havent been replied back to yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When do you get the grade back?
I would say it wont matter much at all. As you have read the rulebook and there is no mention, then I wouldnt be worried. You can check with your tutor on Monday. They would simply hide track changes or there is the facility to remove them. the hide option would be better as it doesnt change anything.
Reply 14
When do you get the grade back?

Early september, so I guess I will find out sooner than later but i'm just anxious haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by 999tigger
I would say it wont matter much at all. As you have read the rulebook and there is no mention, then I wouldnt be worried. You can check with your tutor on Monday. They would simply hide track changes or there is the facility to remove them. the hide option would be better as it doesnt change anything.

Yeah im hoping so, even if they saw the changes theres nothing condemning just me changing the font size and adding double spacing, editing words etc. Hopefully they wont remove the changes but if they did it wouldnt completely ruin it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah im hoping so, even if they saw the changes theres nothing condemning just me changing the font size and adding double spacing, editing words etc. Hopefully they wont remove the changes but if they did it wouldnt completely ruin it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are only interested in reading it. No need to panic imo although it was careless of you not to check and send a clean master copy. I dont believe those comments about getting zero and you have already seen the rulebook.
Reply 17
Original post by 999tigger
They are only interested in reading it. No need to panic imo although it was careless of you not to check and send a clean master copy. I dont believe those comments about getting zero and you have already seen the rulebook.

Okay thats good, and yeah was in a bit of a rush but tbh everyone is and I should have checked beforehand. Thank you for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thats good, and yeah was in a bit of a rush but tbh everyone is and I should have checked beforehand. Thank you for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check on Monday. I really think it is just nerves. Obviously if the track changes are extensive, then it makes it less pleasant to read, but am sure they are used to it.
Reply 19
Thank you everyone!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending