The Student Room Group

English Lit Coursework: Gender in Science Fiction

For my English Lit A- Level coursework, we have to choose two texts centered around a theme, from which we formulate a question that we then answer in essay format about both texts. My decided theme is 'Gender within science fiction' and I have chosen my first text- The Heart Goes Last, by Margaret Atwood- but I am having trouble with the second one.

The three I am considering are 'Brave New World', 'The Female Man', and 'The Left Hand of Darkness'. As 'The Heart Goes Last' is a relatively recent book, there are no pre-existing resources for me to use, so I really want my second text to be one that does have available work for me to look at, but I can't decide between those three.

Can anyone help me out? Has anyone studied these texts in school or anything? I have read them all, but I'm worried that 'Brave New World' isn't enough centered on Gender, while the other two are too much focused on my topic, and look like I am taking an easy option! Any other text suggestions are welcome too :smile:

Thanks!!!!!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Marcelly123
For my English Lit A- Level coursework, we have to choose two texts centered around a theme, from which we formulate a question that we then answer in essay format about both texts. My decided theme is 'Gender within science fiction' and I have chosen my first text- The Heart Goes Last, by Margaret Atwood- but I am having trouble with the second one.

The three I am considering are 'Brave New World', 'The Female Man', and 'The Left Hand of Darkness'. As 'The Heart Goes Last' is a relatively recent book, there are no pre-existing resources for me to use, so I really want my second text to be one that does have available work for me to look at, but I can't decide between those three.

Can anyone help me out? Has anyone studied these texts in school or anything? I have read them all, but I'm worried that 'Brave New World' isn't enough centered on Gender, while the other two are too much focused on my topic, and look like I am taking an easy option! Any other text suggestions are welcome too :smile:

Thanks!!!!!

I think the Left Hand of Darkness would be a great one to look at gender through :smile: I'm halfway through reading it myself, but the idea of a genderless society is a really interesting one, and easy to explore in a science fiction setting.
Original post by Marcelly123

Thanks!!!!!

What kind of notes or planning and themes have you found in Heart so far? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending