The Student Room Group

Criticising Islam and anti-Muslim bigotry...

Who understands the difference?
(Please give reasons for your answer. Also, could you state your age, because I believe there may be a correlation)

Scroll to see replies

I'm 23, white, atheist from Somerset. Everyone where I'm from is white really.

Critising Islam should be allowed, as its a set of ideas, and any set of ideas should be critiqued. Not to do so, would be intellectually ridiculous.

Being anti Muslim would be to discriminate agianst individual Muslims, which is a problem and should be challenged.
Reply 2
The first is criticism of an idea, or set of ideas, much in the same spirit as say criticizing the idea of inheritance tax, or tax in general. The latter is a generalization of an entire group of people who follow said idea, resulting in a blanket dislike or hate for said group.

Much like being anti-Nazis vs. anti-German (sorry I am a sucker for Godwin's Law).

I am in my mid 20s :ninja:
Criticising Islam in a fair and just way is fine because it's an ideology.

Criticising Muslims, on the other hand, is wrong because they're people.
Reply 4
I thought I can criticize anything and everything I wish in the UK
Reply 5
Islam is a religion of peace

And anti-Muslim bigotry is pushed by some, as they want to turn the UK into Nazi Germany

it's quite simple really
Original post by M14B
I thought I can criticize anything and everything I wish in the UK

To an extent, of course.
Reply 7
Original post by remiremi

And anti-Muslim bigotry is pushed by the far-right UKIP/EDL as they want to turn the UK into Nazi Germany

it's quite simple really

Must be nice to walk to through the world with childlike-blindness and naivety.

And anti-Muslim bigotry is pushed by the far-right UKIP/EDL as they want to turn the UK into Nazi Germany

it's quite simple really

Didnt answer the question really
Original post by QE2
Who understands the difference?
(Please give reasons for your answer. Also, could you state your age, because I believe there may be a correlation)

Criticising Islam or any other religion is perfectly acceptable in my opinion, if be banned this we'd be banning free speech. It's using sensible arguments and evidence to get your point across about why you disagree with a particular point or ideology.

Anti Muslim bigotry is like I hate all Muslims because a Muslim blew himself up in London

Is this satire?

it's quite simple really

Original post by ODES_PDES
Is this satire?

All religions are purportedly those of peace.
Though in practice it doesn't appear to be the case.

it's quite simple really

Oh you're serious?

I'm sure a religion of peace would condone slavery, rape with slaves and the whipping of homosexuals. :h:
I think it is a very important distinction that many on the right sadly fail to subscribe to. This is manifested in many ways, most pertinently the surge in anti-muslim hate crimes.
Reply 15
There's also a difference between discrimination and bigotry. One is useful, one is just being a prick.
Criticising Islam is fine because it's an ideology and it would end up getting criticised like other ideologies in the world.

However, holding something against someone purely because they're Muslim is a douchey thing to do.
Reply 17
Original post by lawyer3c
I think it is a very important distinction that many on the right sadly fail to subscribe to.
What about those in the centre, or on the left? Do they ever fail to make the distinction?

This is manifested in many ways, most pertinently the surge in anti-muslim hate crimes.
I suppose you have some evidence that an increase in anti-Muslim hate crimes is related to criticism of Islam rather than anti-Muslim bigotry. If not, it would appear that you are failing to make the distinction yourself.
What about those in the centre, or on the left? Do they ever fail to make the distinction?
Of course. But in very different ways, especially with regard to the harm caused to society, I'm sure you understand.
Reply 19
Original post by QE2

People on the left tend to do it more often than those on the right, from what I've seen. Labeling someone as a bigot, racist, sexist, Islamaphobe etc. because they criticised a belief is something the left loves to do when they know any attempt at ignoring feelings and focusing on facts will end in them losing the debate. I'm not saying the right is perfect, but this is a lot more common on the left.

Example situation, where L is a liberal and P is just a person they disagree with:

P: Islam dictates that homosexuals are thrown off the highest building in the town and then lynched, so it makes sense that Muslims tend to be homophobic.

L: You're just being Islamaphobic! Islamaphobe! Bigot! Racist!

P: You don't think Muslim attitudes might be connected to the books they all follow?

L: I don't have to answer your questions when you're just acting like a bigot.

You see this a lot when Tommy Robinson goes on TV, especially in any kind of group discussion. He gets "racist" and "bigot" shouted at him, with no examples given and none of his arguments addressed.

Quick Reply

Latest