The Student Room Group

Busy people, how do you manage study and gym?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
5th year bud. It's so busy. How are you doing?

Fair, im in 5th year. On rotations, changing placements fortnightly so I'm knackered lol.

How's things with you? Still with amyskr?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Fair, im in 5th year. On rotations, changing placements fortnightly so I'm knackered lol.

Ooft. I know that life. Just finished my 2 week placement, two more two week placements to follow. Then I've only got longer ones until the end of the year. Woopwoop.

How's things with you? Still with amyskr?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awks lmao. We broke up about 7 months ago now - with a new girl atm. I've been really good tho. Feeling rly productive and rewarded lately, but not gymming anywhere near as much as I should tbh.
Reply 42
I have weights and a pull up bar at Home so I can just work out at Home for like 25 mins and then revise
[QUOTE=Implication;67203460]i had virtually 0 spare time in 4th year, doing literally the bare minimum of work (i.e. nothing but what was directly assessed). in y1/2/3 i did trampolining/gymnastics 3 evenings per week, this year i was lucky to make it once per week and occasionally twice, tho it did always take a back seat to lifting

don't wanna lift at weekends because family, will be living with just wife and we'll only just have moved in. my tentative plan now is similar to uni - get up 6.15, get to gym just before open then head straight to work. gonna have max 75 mins for workout tho, so taking that into account when programming... but even that's cutting it fine because i don't think my job is gonna be an 'okay you've done 9-5 you can go home' kinda thing - it'll be 'yeah i know it's 7.00 p.m. but that report really needs writing... best go in at 07.00 tomorrow' . but yea i'll see how it goes and adjust accordingly. could probably lift one weekend morning before wife gets up as she tends to sleep more than me

1st and 2nd year never counted towards my degree so it was plain sailing.
Last year was a fair bit worse but next year (4th) should be ok as long as i chip away at my diss.

I've never lifted later than 6pm. I try and get it out of the way earlier on.

Why would you want to spend even MORE time with your wife? Why not lift? :tongue:

I joke but in all seriousness, any partner of mine would have to accept i'm going to be lifting 4 times a week. She doesn't have to come with but would be cool if she did (even occasionally)

You're 23 bro, don't become #whipped :wink:

[QUOTE=KrisTH;67205000]Hahahah, would have never thought I'd see a Delray Misfits quote on here!

It's sick, it's p***. Gotta just hit the gym anyway, screw all these cookie cutters :tongue:
Original post by Unistudent77

Why would you want to spend even MORE time with your wife? Why not lift? :tongue:

I joke but in all seriousness, any partner of mine would have to accept i'm going to be lifting 4 times a week. She doesn't have to come with but would be cool if she did (even occasionally)

You're 23 bro, don't become #whipped :wink:

More time than what lol? ngl i'd rather spend time with my wife than at the gym if i'm pressured for time to enjoy life - if that makes me whipped then so be it :tongue:

we plan our lives together; i don't plan my life around her or her around my life.
inb4 gaaaaaaaaaay
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE=Implication;67209586]More time than what lol? ngl i'd rather spend time with my wife than at the gym if i'm pressured for time to enjoy life - if that makes me whipped then so be it :tongue:

we plan our lives together; i don't plan my life around her or her around my life.
inb4 gaaaaaaaaaay

Cute. Must be the honeymoon stage :tongue:

I'm just messing with you, that's fair enough.

Personally, i would think a couple hours at the gym and the rest of the day spent with her would be sufficient for her to be happy.
All i was meaning was surely you can spend your weekends with her AND lift. Gym is only 1-2 hours out of your day.

Does she lift? If she doesn't lift how can you plan your day together?

It ain't gay bro :wink: just some serious commitment.
There is nothing men like less that commitment.
Reading that commitment makes me shudder.
Cute. Must be the honeymoon stage :tongue:

I'm just messing with you, that's fair enough.

Personally, i would think a couple hours at the gym and the rest of the day spent with her would be sufficient for her to be happy.
All i was meaning was surely you can spend your weekends with her AND lift. Gym is only 1-2 hours out of your day.

Does she lift? If she doesn't lift how can you plan your day together?

It ain't gay bro :wink: just some serious commitment.
There is nothing men like less that commitment.
Reading that commitment makes me shudder.

yeah i mean if it turns out my job is 9-5 i've got no worries, there's just a chance it'll be one of those 7.00-7.00 jobs, then by the time i've eaten and been to the gym that's the entire day gone. tbh my preference if that turns out to be the case will probably be to just do that twice during the week then go one weekend morning, and keep the sessions shorts. too much up in the air at the moment though!

yeah i don't necessarily mean we plan all our days so that we are together; just that we plan things together. i won't just decide for myself that that's how i'm gonna plan my week; i'll talk to her and we'll plan our weeks so that i get my gym time in AND spend a sensible amount of time together. i just might have to make some compromises as she's working from home quite a lot so won't want me to be out all the time! we both also wanna carry on the trampoline gymnastics

she doesn't lift now but she did come with me for a month or 2 last year and enjoy it. she's got dodgy knees at the mo (partially i suspect a result of not doing any exercise since term ended), but there's a reasonable chance we'll be able to lift together at some point in the future which will be fantastic. there's a gym at our honeymoon hotel that has 'free weights', so maaaaaybe we'll be able to start that then :wink:
[QUOTE=Implication;67212384]yeah i mean if it turns out my job is 9-5 i've got no worries, there's just a chance it'll be one of those 7.00-7.00 jobs, then by the time i've eaten and been to the gym that's the entire day gone. tbh my preference if that turns out to be the case will probably be to just do that twice during the week then go one weekend morning, and keep the sessions shorts. too much up in the air at the moment though!

yeah i don't necessarily mean we plan all our days so that we are together; just that we plan things together. i won't just decide for myself that that's how i'm gonna plan my week; i'll talk to her and we'll plan our weeks so that i get my gym time in AND spend a sensible amount of time together. i just might have to make some compromises as she's working from home quite a lot so won't want me to be out all the time! we both also wanna carry on the trampoline gymnastics

she doesn't lift now but she did come with me for a month or 2 last year and enjoy it. she's got dodgy knees at the mo (partially i suspect a result of not doing any exercise since term ended), but there's a reasonable chance we'll be able to lift together at some point in the future which will be fantastic. there's a gym at our honeymoon hotel that has 'free weights', so maaaaaybe we'll be able to start that then :wink:

I get what you're saying, where there is a will there is a way.

Just have to find time.

You'll get her lifting in no time. That would be living the dream, having an OH who lifts.

Good luck in that mission son!
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
You have to eliminate all your dead time. I spent so much time sitting around texting people, doing things like browsing Reddit and posting TSR. Now I go to uni nice and early; do my work; come home, get food, go to the gym; get more food and do the other work i need to do; then I have the rest of the night to do whatever I want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ayeee, I just want my timetable through so I can start planning everything! I'm sure I'll stop panicking as much then. Not sure I'm going to eat every 2 hours though as I have been throughout these holidays - how often do you eat?
Original post by Sacred Ground
Ayeee, I just want my timetable through so I can start planning everything! I'm sure I'll stop panicking as much then. Not sure I'm going to eat every 2 hours though as I have been throughout these holidays - how often do you eat?

Why on earth do you eat that often?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why on earth do you eat that often?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Idk I guess it's just become a habit- small portions every 2 hours and I'm sound tbh. I don't like waiting 4 hours or so before meals because I hate walking around with a heavy stomach. What's your eating pattern?
Idk I guess it's just become a habit- small portions every 2 hours and I'm sound tbh. I don't like waiting 4 hours or so before meals because I hate walking around with a heavy stomach. What's your eating pattern?

The standard 3 meals a day

Posted from TSR Mobile
The standard 3 meals a day

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bit boring IMO
Original post by Actually_Felix
Hey,

Title pretty much explains it. I am a freshman doing a considerably rigorous degree. I'm just wondering how you guys in a similar situation manage to exercise regularly amidst all the work bombardment. Some advice is really appreciated!

Edit: I'm not training for the Olympics or anything, just maintaining fitness
Get up early go to bed early. It's better to get up @ 5 and bed @ 9 than getting up @ 7 and bed @ 11. The later you are studying, the less effective it will be. Get up early and do your exercise first (that way it won't feel like it is getting int the way of your studies) - that should wake you up to be in a great mental state for studying. If you are having a night out, make sure you manage the following day.
Bit boring IMO

Hipster crew have clearly checked in
Hipster crew have clearly checked in

Wasn't aware that eating every 2 hours was a common trend? I just don't like having a heavy stomach. Explain yourself
[QUOTE=Sacred Ground;67236872]Wasn't aware that eating every 2 hours was a common trend? I just don't like having a heavy stomach. Explain yourself

'Trend'.

I objected to your 'bit boring imo'. That is not 'i don't like having a heavy stomach'.

The former is a stupid comment and sounds hipster af.

The latter is personal preference and absolutely fine.

I don't need to explain myself to you.

Also, to address a post of yours in another thread. You asked how long Angry Cucumber has been lifting... Just check his blog mate, i think 3-4 years is the answer but idk
'Trend'.

I objected to your 'bit boring imo'. That is not 'i don't like having a heavy stomach'.

The former is a stupid comment and sounds hipster af.

The latter is personal preference and absolutely fine.

I don't need to explain myself to you.

Also, to address a post of yours in another thread. You asked how long Angry Cucumber has been lifting... Just check his blog mate, i think 3-4 years is the answer but idk

I said 'IMO' mate, so chill. I couldn't hack eating breakfast, dinner and tea because I find that BORING. That doesn't mean I think any less of cucumber for doing so.

Btw, you did explain yourself. Sound.
[QUOTE=Sacred Ground;67248114]I said 'IMO' mate, so chill. I couldn't hack eating breakfast, dinner and tea because I find that BORING. That doesn't mean I think any less of cucumber for doing so.

Btw, you did explain yourself. Sound.

Don't you have a main meal? What happens if you're 'going out for dinner'? You can eat how you want but that seems like real effort and trying to fit gym and uni stuff around a 2hr eating schedule will be tough if not at times, unmanagable.Your tone implied you did but whatever.

Again, it was your tone. That sentence wasn't to be taken so literally but that went above your head evidently.
Don't you have a main meal? What happens if you're 'going out for dinner'? You can eat how you want but that seems like real effort and trying to fit gym and uni stuff around a 2hr eating schedule will be tough if not at times, unmanagable.Your tone implied you did but whatever.

Again, it was your tone. That sentence wasn't to be taken so literally but that went above your head evidently.

Patronising me? Nice! You're a new kind of special if you can infer a 'tone of speech' through my text. Pfft.

I don't follow a regimented plan of eating every 2 hours - I'm just usually hungry every 2 hours, if I eat a large meal such as going out for dinner, I won't eat 2 hours later. Dafty.

Quick Reply

Latest