The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know Comet don't offer any such 'schemes'.., BUT if you do hit a 'glass ceiling' in any of the establishments you may work for, give a thought to applying to Comet.

Say you were a manager at Sainsbury's for example; because of your management experience you can transfer to Deputy manager of a Destination store (big store of Comet) and be earning quite well and in Comet sky's the limit with prospects.

My ex-deputy manager went to college and did music technology for 6 months, lazed around for 6 months, then got a job at Comet as a Sales adviser...

A couple of years later was a Sales manager, then Deputy Manager now he has his 'own' store in Essex. I've heard of the similar sort of thing happening with an Area Manager, he did have A-Levels though.

Comet is always expanding with new stores opening every year, and recently Kesa Group took them over and they're (I think) part of the biggest electrical retail company in Europe. I could go on for longer, but I don't want to sound as if I'm trying to inspire people to buy stock..

I agree with the idea of doing a part-time degree as well. Even though you might want to go straight into work, if you did hit a glass ceiling where you needed a degree to break through then doing a part-time degree would be a good idea, and higher education has intrinsic value anyway! :smile:

Hope that helped a bit.
Reply 21
Ghost Grey
I know Comet don't offer any such 'schemes'.., BUT if you do hit a 'glass ceiling' in any of the establishments you may work for, give a thought to applying to Comet.

Say you were a manager at Sainsbury's for example; because of your management experience you can transfer to Deputy manager of a Destination store (big store of Comet) and be earning quite well and in Comet sky's the limit with prospects.

My ex-deputy manager went to college and did music technology for 6 months, lazed around for 6 months, then got a job at Comet as a Sales adviser...

A couple of years later was a Sales manager, then Deputy Manager now he has his 'own' store in Essex. I've heard of the similar sort of thing happening with an Area Manager, he did have A-Levels though.

Comet is always expanding with new stores opening every year, and recently Kesa Group took them over and they're (I think) part of the biggest electrical retail company in Europe. I could go on for longer, but I don't want to sound as if I'm trying to inspire people to buy stock..

I agree with the idea of doing a part-time degree as well. Even though you might want to go straight into work, if you did hit a glass ceiling where you needed a degree to break through then doing a part-time degree would be a good idea, and higher education has intrinsic value anyway! :smile:

Hope that helped a bit.

Thanks for you post mate, hadn't thought about places like comet/dsg - basically any retail park stores which is a bit dumb of me. I'm off to go & investigate and see if anything comes up. I will also look into the part time degree option as to be honest I was unaware it was possible :redface: Perhaps if I said I was willing to complete a part time degree in the future to aid my progression it may help with my applications - you never know! It would aleast prove me to be keen and forward thinking.
Reply 22
Well the assessment day @ Sainsbury's is on Monday. I have just done a test run to find out how long the journey takes today and its not good :s-smilie: Looks like a 6am start for me and seeing as I hate mornings thats not good :rolleyes: Mind you I guess I will have to prepared to work any hours in retail so better get used to it. Think I'm going to do some research on the company tonight, not sure what else I can do to prepare really :confused:

Oh yeah I have to say I am pretty disgusted by Waitrose, I expected more from them :mad:
Reply 23
Well I had my assessment yesterday, wasn't easy as its all new to me only being 18 and just out of college but I'm happy with how it went I guess! Even if I am not offered a place its been a good experiance & I am pleased I have got so far, the women I spent most of my time with was pretty positive giving me lots of personal advice and boosting my confidence. Apparently even to get through to the first stage interview you have to score highly on the online tests & I am supposed to have done very well :biggrin: The role play was the hardest for me but after a few mins I got into it, the written exercise was not easy to complete as there was soooo much to do in a short amount of time.
I asked the all important question about how far I could progress without a degree and I was assured that if I impressed I could make it in retail with some real life examples given so thats all good! Just a waiting game now, I'll update when I get the news.

Latest

Trending

Trending