The Student Room Group

Super confused regarding the new A-Levels. Help please?

Guys,

I really cannot rap my head around these new A-Levels. Im going into year 12 in a weeks time, yet I've chosen 3 subjects - wanted to do 4 but stuck with 3 as I didn't understand it at all.

I want to take medicine right, so i expected to take 4 at year 12 and drop one for year 13. But because most of them are the new two year ones, dropping one would be useless as i wouldn't get a qualification.

Are pretty much all medical applicants taking 3 from this year then? Or are they taking 4 and either dropping or continuing for year 13?

I'm so confused *aaahhhh*

:s-smilie:
Original post by escg
Guys,

I really cannot rap my head around these new A-Levels. Im going into year 12 in a weeks time, yet I've chosen 3 subjects - wanted to do 4 but stuck with 3 as I didn't understand it at all.

I want to take medicine right, so i expected to take 4 at year 12 and drop one for year 13. But because most of them are the new two year ones, dropping one would be useless as i wouldn't get a qualification.

Are pretty much all medical applicants taking 3 from this year then? Or are they taking 4 and either dropping or continuing for year 13?

I'm so confused *aaahhhh*

:s-smilie:

It is very common with the new Linear A levels for students to be limited to 3 subjects. What you are permitted to do depends on the school/college. Universities understand that many students are only taking 3 and it will not restrict your future applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on your school if they allow you to sit the AS exams, if they do you can drop the subject after a year and have the AS qualification. I did biology, chemistry, maths and spanish this year and I'm dropping spanish next year (1 week time) , but I still have the AS qualification. If you want to do 4, you can do it if your school allows you. If not there is no point to do one year and drop it as you won't have any qualification.
Hope that helps. Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest