The Student Room Group

A Level Chemistry or Physics????

please help! i have to decide whether to do chemistry or physics at A Level, I've thought for a few months i would do physics at is has always been my strongest subject, however lately i have really enjoyed chemistry and ended up getting an A at GCSE, above my B in physics. (I will also be studying maths, psychology, english lit and RE) ... I am really torn as to which subject o take and would really appreciate any advice! thank you :smile:
Go with the one you enjoy. If you don't enjoy chem as much as physics and mainly want to choose it because you did better at it as I know people who make such mistakes thinking if they've done well now they will do well at a level but if you don't enjoy it all that much you will feel gutted as you may not be able to do well in something you compromise with. Go with what feels best for you because remember GCSEs will seem like a walk in the park when you start a level
Good luck:smile:
Speaking entirely from my own experience and not taking into account your situation, I'd say pick chemistry. Physics will ruin your life.

Spoiler

Reply 3
Why are you planning on 5 AS?? That is a LOT of work for you to do and are you willing to get AABBB (or something along those lines) instead of AAAA because the workload will be that much more??

I'd say just stick with the 4 and don't do either
Reply 4
With a B in physics GCSE you have low chances of getting a very good grade at A level because there's a very big step between GCSE and A level. Also, why do you want to do 5 subjects? Wouldn't that be too much and unnecessary?
Reply 5
Thank you for the advice- the reason I'm doing 5 A levels is because RE is compulsory, and I must start with 4 subjects before I can drop to 3 after the 1st year. Chemistry/Physics will be me 'priority' subject though.
Original post by rhiannebell
Thank you for the advice- the reason I'm doing 5 A levels is because RE is compulsory, and I must start with 4 subjects before I can drop to 3 after the 1st year. Chemistry/Physics will be me 'priority' subject though.

Why does your school make you do a compulsory A-Level? Harsh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do both chemistry and physics, and they are just as difficult as each other in my opinion, maybe physics a little easier. Don't take your GCSE grades to be indicators of how well you will do in each as many people get really different grades to those at A level. There isn't too much between an A and B anyway and it's not like you got A* amd C. Chemistry is more of a fun subject, I think the practicals covered are more interesting but that's obviously just an opinion. Just do what you think you will enjoy most☺️
Personally I always hated physics... so chemistry all the way! :smile:
Chemistry.
Physics is an absolute pain at times.

Quick Reply

Latest