The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lol go on then...
Grand so, I'll try to throw together a rudimentary post with links tomorrow or the day after, unless someone else who has been on TSR longer would prefer to do so. Hopefully, once made and if helpful, it may become a sticky.
great!
Agamemnon
Shady Lane's comments suggest otherwise? Although I think she is perhaps not sure?

They may suggest it, but it's not quite true. I know four people in my University that got into LSE. All different programs. We were all each given different conditional offers, though mine was, by far, the lowest. My friend V., was actually initially given an impossible offer (statistically) and went to London (I think she's the daughter of a diplomat in London) and asked them to lower it, which they did, though it was still harsher than mine. I had references similar to shady's in that I knew one academic superstar in my field who is the direct descendant of an old British PM very well. Your offer seems to depend, though I am not certain, on your program (perhaps how early you apply matters too?), and perhaps on your over all application, rather than your institution.
The academic offers are usually very individual, based on your achievement, references and interview (if applicable). Having a senior academic say that you have the potential to be a good research student is far more important than where you went to university. Of course, in my area, they'll bite your hand off if you say you want to do a PhD, funny considering nanotechnology is supposed to be the next big thing.
Reply 27
ChemistBoy
The academic offers are usually very individual, based on your achievement, references and interview (if applicable). Having a senior academic say that you have the potential to be a good research student is far more important than where you went to university. Of course, in my area, they'll bite your hand off if you say you want to do a PhD, funny considering nanotechnology is supposed to be the next big thing.

Hmm... ok thanks. It's doubtful that I'd get into the top universities anyway, but I was just wondering how big an impact going to a lesser university has on where you can go to postgrad. From the answers given, it seems that it can have a minor impact.

Sorry to bring up this topic which apparently people are tired of dealing with. Could anyone kindly direct me to other threads where this has been discussed, or recommend search terms that will find them? Thanks. :smile:
Phoenix Wright
They may suggest it, but it's not quite true. I know four people in my University that got into LSE. All different programs. We were all each given different conditional offers, though mine was, by far, the lowest. My friend V., was actually initially given an impossible offer (statistically) and went to London (I think she's the daughter of a diplomat in London) and asked them to lower it, which they did, though it was still harsher than mine. I had references similar to shady's in that I knew one academic superstar in my field who is the direct descendant of an old British PM very well. Your offer seems to depend, though I am not certain, on your program (perhaps how early you apply matters too?), and perhaps on your over all application, rather than your institution.

Yes well it depends on your actual grades as well. LSE doesn't give a 3.5 offer to someone with a 4.0. They rarely give impossible conditions; they'd rather reject you than do that. But the reality is that people applying from lower ranked universities will more often have higher GPAs, because professors won't recommend someone that they don't think is capable of the work. If they know the university is easy and has grade inflation (which a good number of US universities do), they'll usually hesitate to recommend a student below a 3.7 GPA. Which means people from worse universities actually do tend to get higher conditional offers.
I really wouldn't worry about the ranking of your university affecting your postgrad applications. Once you start university you should focus on putting the effort into your coursework, and developing extra-curriculars that complement your academic interests. It might be too early to worry about postgrad applications, I know that I changed my mind about postgrad several times from the day I first entered university to my final year.

In the end though, as many people have stated it comes down to your skills, grades, research ideas, and your references etc. to demonstrate your worthiness as a potential postgraduate far more than the location of your undergrad.

Perhaps, if this matter still concerns you, you should contact the graduate admissions office for such universities.

The e-mail for Oxford is: [email protected]
Cambridge:[email protected]
I couldn't quite find the e-mail for LSE graduation admissions but this will take you to admission enquiries, and you can submit an online query there.

If you do an advanced search, with search term "Oxbridge" specifically in the Postgraduate forum, you will probably come across many of the discussions that have referenced this issue in some way.
Reply 31
ba_mhaith_liom
Perhaps a general post should be made with links to previous threads, and made a sticky?

This is actually a real good idea. Perfect. I don't know how these stickies are made sticky, but if you do it, I salute you. It will save us from these repetitive threads...

And Shady, you do a good job of disabusing people of their misguided beliefs... don't leave it to me - I really can't be arsed most of the time! :wink:
Reply 32
the_alba
This is actually a real good idea. Perfect. I don't know how these stickies are made sticky, but if you do it, I salute you. It will save us from these repetitive threads...

Clicking the report button and asking moderators to stickify the thread usually does the trick.:smile:
Obviously we still need to create such a thread, though...
hobnob
Clicking the report button and asking moderators to stickify the thread usually does the trick.:smile:
Obviously we still need to create such a thread, though...

I should have something done for tonight. At the moment I'm working to a deadline on something else *insert mild panic* but I have collected a good list of links. Again if someone else would like to do this, or someone with more familiarity with the two universities would like to do it, I can give you what I have and cut down your searches.
Reply 34
the_alba
...you do a good job of disabusing people of their misguided beliefs...

With respect, I don't see how they're completely misguided, as from this thread, one could conclude that where you went to university does have a minor impact?
Agamemnon
With respect, I don't see how they're completely misguided, as from this thread, one could conclude that where you went to university does have a minor impact?

I have never seen any evidence at all of institutional bias in selection for postgraduate courses beyond the CASM at Cambridge. Like I said, your application for a postgraduate course will be considered on its individual merits.
Reply 36
ChemistBoy
I have never seen any evidence at all of institutional bias in selection for postgraduate courses beyond the CASM at Cambridge. Like I said, your application for a postgraduate course will be considered on its individual merits.

So Shady Lane's comments about higher offers being recieved for those in lesser universities due to grade inflation, only applies to those who have attended American universities, not British universities?
somebody close this thread, please.
Reply 38
The Boosh
somebody close this thread, please.

Err... why? My question hasn't been answered. You know, it's kind of rude to ask for a thread to be closed when the OP hasn't finished with it.
you have your answer

Latest

Trending

Trending